Swapping Contents From One Block To Another Straightforward?

Tinkerer200

Threads
  • / Swapping Contents From One Block To Another Straightforward?
Wait a minute I thought you were asking about switching parts from one 31 series to another 31 series engine. You do realize the 33 series engine is a larger bore than the 31 series? It appears the gasket set is the same but I don't know what else without checking each part number. I know the flywheels do not interchange nor piston/rings of course. The 31 series is the newer style 31 series.

Walt Conner

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Wait a minute I thought you were asking about switching parts from one 31 series to another 31 series engine. You do realize the 33 series engine is a larger bore than the 31 series? It appears the gasket set is the same but I don't know what else without checking each part number. I know the flywheels do not interchange nor piston/rings of course. The 31 series is the newer style.

Walt Conner
Yes, I was talking about a 31 to 31 swap if I got a block on ebay. I'm still considering that route if need be but I was just saying that today I got another John Deere with a blown motor but good block and was wondering if that would work in place of the 31? Don't know the differences, that's why I am asking you guys. If the 33 is a larger bore, can I just use the piston and rings from the 33?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, I was talking about a 31 to 31 swap if I got a block on ebay. I'm still considering that route if need be but I was just saying that today I got another John Deere with a blown motor but good block and was wondering if that would work in place of the 31? Don't know the differences, that's why I am asking you guys. If the 33 is a larger bore, can I just use the piston and rings from the 33?

How bad is the damage to the 33 ?? can you rebuild that one, instead of the 31 ?? MAYBE you should check with WALT about HIS block ! ..:confused2:

JonnyBlaze

Threads
How bad is the damage to the 33 ?? can you rebuild that one, instead of the 31 ?? MAYBE you should check with WALT about HIS block ! ..:confused2:
Didn't Walt say his was a 28? The connecting rod broke on the 33 and the crank is pretty messed up where the rod clamped onto the journal. Everything else seemed to be ok but I'm no expert. I was kinda hoping I could do something with what I had since I already have all the parts.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Didn't Walt say his was a 28? The connecting rod broke on the 33 and the crank is pretty messed up where the rod clamped onto the journal. Everything else seemed to be ok but I'm no expert. I was kinda hoping I could do something with what I had since I already have all the parts.

ONE thing FOR SURE John, MAKE DAMN sure whatever you're doing, you CHECK ALL the P/Ns on all the items and keep all parts separated as to what goes with what, you don't want any last minute surprises. Might also be a good idea to take loads of pics during disassembly, it will be a GREAT aid during REassembly. I really admire your patience AND persistance, you'll get there I'm not sure what Walt has, you need to check with him. stay close to the forum... Boo

JonnyBlaze

Threads
ONE thing FOR SURE John, MAKE DAMN sure whatever you're doing, you CHECK ALL the P/Ns on all the items and keep all parts separated as to what goes with what, you don't want any last minute surprises. Might also be a good idea to take loads of pics during disassembly, it will be a GREAT aid during REassembly. I really admire your patience AND persistance, you'll get there I'm not sure what Walt has, you need to check with him. stay close to the forum... Boo
Absolutely. I take pics of everything.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Wait a minute I thought you were asking about switching parts from one 31 series to another 31 series engine. You do realize the 33 series engine is a larger bore than the 31 series? It appears the gasket set is the same but I don't know what else without checking each part number. I know the flywheels do not interchange nor piston/rings of course. The 31 series is the newer style 31 series.

Walt Conner
Were you able to identify your block?

Last edited:

Tinkerer200

Threads

I have never attempted that switch so do not know except that if the flywheel does not interchange obviously the crankshaft will not either without going as a pair and since B&S went to the trouble to distinguish these it is likely there may be such things as different bearing sizes etc. As I said you will have to check the part numbers and make your own decisions.

Walt Conner