Suzuki-powered Push Mower

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lucky me! I found one of these Suzuki-Toros on my local CraigsList for only $20. The only obvious problem is a broken rear wheel.

My plan is to use this one for parts but I haven't ruled out fixing it. It's a 1983 model 20581.

Here's a picture:

toro-parts-1.jpg

The bag is in great shape. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the bagging system on these mowers is excellent. Other than the broken wheel and that it's been sitting for over a year, it seems to be in pretty nice condition. It doesn't look like it's been out in the weather as much as my other one.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
WOW! I would fix it!

I may end up doing that. The wheel (really two wheels need to be replaced) is expensive if I go with matching, original equipment -- but if I'm willing to settle for something that just fits and works but looks a little different, I can do it for about a third of the cost. I'm not sure about that yet, however.

Another thing that was great about this find is that the seller was only about 15 minutes from my house. The usual scenario is driving all the way to outer-suburbia.

Here's another photo of my newest El Toro.

toro-parts-3.jpg

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Fix it! A bit of TLC and she'd be a great mower :smile:

Remember - We want Before & After pictures! :wink:

jamesslcx

Threads
That mower looks in great shape for its age( wish I could say the same for me)! Either way you go it was a great deal. Fixing mowers is a enjoyable and relatively inexpensive hobby, I think it is good stress relief for me.

podor

Threads
I am a huge Toro fan. The mower you have looks like a 20581. If you go to toro.com, you can look up parts and identify mowers. I have 2 Suzuki 4 cycle, self propelled w/blade brake. They are better than my Super Recycler I bought new.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am a huge Toro fan. The mower you have looks like a 20581. If you go to toro.com, you can look up parts and identify mowers. I have 2 Suzuki 4 cycle, self propelled w/blade brake. They are better than my Super Recycler I bought new.

The mower shown in posts #11 and #13 is a 1983 model 20581. The other mower that I have is similar but newer (1987) -- I have the engine model number but not the model number for the mower.

I'm curious about the four-cycle Suzuki-Toro. Is it overhead valve? Could you post some pictures?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never mind about the question about the four-cycle Suzuki -- I just read the "swapping decks" thread and that answered my question. :biggrin:

Parkmower

Threads
Here's a pic of one of my toro commercial two strokes w/o air filter. Very dirty. Has been sitting outside in limbo til I brought it in today and got her running.

Attachments

• image-3430637529.png
    image-3430637529.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 36

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's a pic of one of my toro commercial two strokes w/o air filter. Very dirty. Has been sitting outside in limbo til I brought it in today and got her running.

I like the deck -- I've been keeping my eye out for one like that -- with a side discharge. The two I have are both rear-baggers.

What is that shiny metal thing over the spark plug? Is it meant to protect the plug?

I responded to your PM regarding who made the engine - I'm pretty sure it's Suzuki.