Stihl love/hate MS251C

STEVES

Threads
I have one, it’s always been easy to start. Just followed the procedure listed above
Push the primer a couple of times
Hold the throttle wide open and advance the control to the start position
Pull the cord gently a couple times till it “burps”
Move the control up one notch
Pull cord, generally starts within 1-3 pulls

Somewhere I have read that if you haul on the cord like a regular saw (not easy start) it will flood every time. Only thing I dislike about the saw is it leaks bar lube. I keep it in a tub I use for tractor oil changes, it will leak the lube tank dry over time. Other than cleaning the saw I haven’t looked further into this issue.
I put mine on it's side, bar up, to keep oil in the tank.

g-man57

Threads
If this saw has been repeated flooded to the extent that you claim, it may be in need of a new spark plug due to conductive fuel soaking into the ceramic of the plug causing it to short out internally.

Just as a side note I own a MS251C that I took in on a trade a few years ago. And your starting issue is far from limited on several stihl model saws. And part of the issue has to due to the variable spark timing of the electronic ignition module. If you try to crank them too fast it throws the spark advance off causing hard starting and flooding.

The Makita 6400 saw has that issue to the point that if you try to drop start it, it will flood everytime to the point of gas running out of the muffler Let your 13 year old daughter crank it and it will start in 2 pulls or less everytime.
Hmmm... I wonder if this is the case with my Jonsered 2258? I've run hundreds, or more, gallons of gas thru chainsaws when I was young. Just choke, drop start, when if fires, take choke off and pull again. If it floods, hold the throttle and pull a few times - it will fire. My new (10 yo) Jonsered has the symptoms you mention in this post. IMaybe a similar EIM. I'll take your advice. Thanks

Threads
Sthil chainsaws are the best saws on the market !!! All sthil chainsaws, are easy to flood if you don't listen for that little poof( small ignition hit). Put the saw on full choke (lever all the way down, you have to pull on throtle trigger to get it down the last knotch, which is choke position), pull the rope until you hear that little hit. Then pull the lever up one knotch( which is out of choke position- to full throtle position). Pull cord until it starts, usually one or two pulls. Then when thw saw starts, hit the trigger all the way and let off it, this will let it drop yo idle. If ot should start to die hit the throtle a little to keep it running. If you have to do this the idle should be increased a little so it dosen't die.
DO NOT rev the saw like a fool, like you are reving a Harley motorcycle to impress onlookersthis will take away from the life of your saw !!! as alunimun head and piston with steel rings. This saw after starting should be allowed to idle until it warms up snd the rings are allowed to expand from the heat of combustion in the cylinder. When I start my saws, I start them and then set them on the ground for a good 30 seconds to one minute to let it warm up. All my saws are Sthils and all my saws will outperform any rivals !!
My favorite one is an older ms440 . i believe it's a 28" blade on it and it is amazing !!
I have a wood burning fireplace, And huge oak trees on my property and i go through at least 8-10 face cords of wood each year heating my home.
If you take my advice and treat your saws like you want them to last, you will never have a problem with them. Good luck in your future sawing !!!

Gord Baker

Threads
If it were my saw, I would get rid of it. My Poulan starts Every Time. It is electric and I have long cords.

Skyharbor106

Threads
I have the ms251C Light 04 as you can see in the title it truly is a love-hate relationship I have with this chainsaw. If you can get it to start on the first few pulls it is a great saw if you can't it is the worst saw you can have. This saw is sold as an easy start and it is if you get it to fire in the first second or two if not put it away and get out the old saw. When I first got this saw I thought it was an operator error, but not anymore it is a case of crap or great. OK let's assume that it is me how do you get this thing to start without learning how to swear like a trooper? This saw must flood by just looking at it wrong, I really don't want to take off the cover each time I run into a starting problem to try and dry out the carb or throw Eather down the carb.
I had a similar Stihl a MS250 I think. It never started up for my occasional use. I know a lot of professional gardeners and lawn care companies swear by Stihl but not me. I sold it and bought a Greenworks 80 volt chainsaw and never looked back. I have two batteries and they last as long as I do. For me it cuts what I need to to. Adios gas chainsaws!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sthil chainsaws are the best saws on the market !!! All sthil chainsaws, are easy to flood if you don't listen for that little poof( small ignition hit). Put the saw on full choke (lever all the way down, you have to pull on throtle trigger to get it down the last knotch, which is choke position), pull the rope until you hear that little hit. Then pull the lever up one knotch( which is out of choke position- to full throtle position). Pull cord until it starts, usually one or two pulls. Then when thw saw starts, hit the trigger all the way and let off it, this will let it drop yo idle. If ot should start to die hit the throtle a little to keep it running. If you have to do this the idle should be increased a little so it dosen't die.
DO NOT rev the saw like a fool, like you are reving a Harley motorcycle to impress onlookersthis will take away from the life of your saw !!! as alunimun head and piston with steel rings. This saw after starting should be allowed to idle until it warms up snd the rings are allowed to expand from the heat of combustion in the cylinder. When I start my saws, I start them and then set them on the ground for a good 30 seconds to one minute to let it warm up. All my saws are Sthils and all my saws will outperform any rivals !!
My favorite one is an older ms440 . i believe it's a 28" blade on it and it is amazing !!
I have a wood burning fireplace, And huge oak trees on my property and i go through at least 8-10 face cords of wood each year heating my home.
If you take my advice and treat your saws like you want them to last, you will never have a problem with them. Good luck in your future sawing !!!
the older Stihls would start and run a couple seconds with the choke on before dying or if you were quick could get it off of choke before it died, the newer saws basically won't even run on choke, and all you get is that little poof which people don't equate to it started and died or in noisy areas you will not even know it poofed.

etbrown4

Threads
It's not just this saw. I have a new ms170 and it is a beast to start. It's getting spark so I've ordered a new carb. Two cycles are all about spark and fuel so it's usually one or the other. Can't tell you how many times a new $15 carb has renewed my Stilh hedge trimmer. I feel your pain.

pistol1980

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the ms251C Light 04 as you can see in the title it truly is a love-hate relationship I have with this chainsaw. If you can get it to start on the first few pulls it is a great saw if you can't it is the worst saw you can have. This saw is sold as an easy start and it is if you get it to fire in the first second or two if not put it away and get out the old saw. When I first got this saw I thought it was an operator error, but not anymore it is a case of crap or great. OK let's assume that it is me how do you get this thing to start without learning how to swear like a trooper? This saw must flood by just looking at it wrong, I really don't want to take off the cover each time I run into a starting problem to try and dry out the carb or throw Eather down the carb.
I’m a believer in buying pre-mix fuel. I can leave all my equipment set all winter with gas in it and it starts right up in the spring. I had a problem with my Stihl weed eater and ordered a tune up kit, filter, plug, air filter and it started right up. I also buy Ethanol free gas for my mower and power washer and they start right up in the spring.

schreib69

Threads
If this saw has been repeated flooded to the extent that you claim, it may be in need of a new spark plug due to conductive fuel soaking into the ceramic of the plug causing it to short out internally.

Just as a side note I own a MS251C that I took in on a trade a few years ago. And your starting issue is far from limited on several stihl model saws. And part of the issue has to due to the variable spark timing of the electronic ignition module. If you try to crank them too fast it throws the spark advance off causing hard starting and flooding.

The Makita 6400 saw has that issue to the point that if you try to drop start it, it will flood everytime to the point of gas running out of the muffler Let your 13 year old daughter crank it and it will start in 2 pulls or less everytime.
Well, after reading this I actually have to agree with the poster! Hey, Stihl should KNOW(!) after building saws for a century(?) that GUYS are pulling on saws-- not little girls. If the damn thing won't start, guys pull harder and faster too!

My own 2 cents: I have a Stihl FS 45 string trimmer, now it may have other problems making it hard to start, but top on my list is my WIFE cannot even pull the cord-- not enough strength at 72. I have to go out and buy a dang battery driven trimmer so she can trim weeds. On the other hand, her simple little Tecumseh rototiller, she can start no problem, every time. A bigger engine.

Now, back onto the subject. This same string trimmer is hard starting too. After reading suggestions above I will try the "not more than 4 pulls at Full choke" and "slow / easy pulls" before putting it up for sale on Craig's List. I just don't have time to putz with all the small engines sometimes. My 362, 462, and MS25C all start fine though.

William Burchell

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try using the premixed fuel you purchase in the quart or gallon container, higher priced but will fix 50% of the problems of Stihl saws brought into my shop that will not start