Stihl love/hate MS251C

Shady oak

Threads
I have a Stihl saw and leaf blower. I thoroughly dislike EZ starts. I have a bigger jonsrud with a compression release. Love it. I do get both the Stihls started, but one must follow the ”process” waiting for the poor. Lol

12icer

Threads
I have one never fails to start, BUT I wind two wraps of the starter cord around my hand till it comes to the first tension point then pull it all the way till it stops in one slow smooth pull, If you pump the primer and set the choke like it says to it will fire and quit, move to half choke and it will start right up catch the trigger, and take the choke off let it smooth out an it will cut like a "HAINT" !!!!

I have used a lot of saws, and I do not prefer the easy start variety, I can throw start a big Husky or Stihl BUT for someone who cannot handle throw starting a full size larger saw these are the ticket.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Next time you try to start it try this.
1. Push primer bulb 5 times, make sure it fills full.
2. Set at full choke.
3. Throttle wide open.
4. Pull rope until you hear it pop.
5. Move choke to half position.
6. Pull start.
This is the procedure I instruct my customers to use on both Stihl and Echo equipment.
Any piece of good 2-stroke equipment that is running right, starts with no or very little throttle. Wide open throttle is for when the chainsaw floods and you pull it around 10 times at WOT and it often starts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My Echo and Stihl equipment start’s easily with the procedure I posted, with no flooding.

L10-11xx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update, as I and others have said this saw will flood if looked at wrong so I have found that if there is gas in the bulb leave it alone and set the lever to choke, and start from there this seems to work for now who knows what will work next week?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Update, as I and others have said this saw will flood if looked at wrong so I have found that if there is gas in the bulb leave it alone and set the lever to choke, and start from there this seems to work for now who knows what will work next week?
Handheld equipment is sometimes difficult to start. Especially if it is not running properly and if the operator does not know how to start it right. It can be a very frustrating experience when you go to use a chainsaw, trimmer, blower, etc. and it won’t start. My experience has shown that you can’t always blame the equipment.

SHB

Threads
Two things about starting the MS251 is one pull the yo-yo starter slowly and let the spring tension crank the engine. And when cold starting crank in the choke position till the engine attempts to start but no more than 4 cranks before taking out of choke position . Most of the time the saw will let out a very soft poot and then if you turn the choke off it will start within a couple cranks. If you miss the poot and crank it again it will flood.

SHB

Threads
I have one, it’s always been easy to start. Just followed the procedure listed above
Push the primer a couple of times
Hold the throttle wide open and advance the control to the start position
Pull the cord gently a couple times till it “burps”
Move the control up one notch
Pull cord, generally starts within 1-3 pulls

Somewhere I have read that if you haul on the cord like a regular saw (not easy start) it will flood every time. Only thing I dislike about the saw is it leaks bar lube. I keep it in a tub I use for tractor oil changes, it will leak the lube tank dry over time. Other than cleaning the saw I haven’t looked further into this issue.

JAZ

Threads
I too have a few " easy start items" that act the same way. Thanks for the advice. I am 80 and still pull like I did 20 years ago. I have noticed that I have better luck starting like you suggested. Thank you so much. So, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

nackesww

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 3 stihl chainsaws. Give a couple pulls without the choke on first, Then use choke. I had same problem starting my ms 360 when i first got it.