Stihl Chainsaws

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another idea just came to me - (my brain actually works once in a while :rolleyes:) Have you considered corded or cordless electric -- I just read in Farm Show that some people are happy with them. Occasional use - no gas - no pull start -- just keep blade sharp & hang it up !

Just another idea !

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you considered corded or cordless electric -- I just read in Farm Show that some people are happy with them. Occasional use - no gas - no pull start -- just keep blade sharp & hang it up !

Just another idea !

I have a couple electric chain saws... and they are very handy. (one on a telescoping pole)...
If you are not trying to cut a cord or firewood in an afternoon, you could be very happy with an electric saw... assuming you are reasonably close to an outlet... :smile:KennyV

PS 'Farm Show' is fun to read...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

glennsjr

Threads
I would ask around in your neighborhood to find a good dealer with a good service record and buy from him. I worked for a logger for 15 years and it seems that the brand is 2nd to parts and service because most of your top brands are pretty decent . I have Jonsered and Dolmar and like them both. And back to a couple of post don't try to outrun a tree when 2 or three steps will take you to the other side of tree. Also get yourself some plastic wedges as they are almost as important as the saw.

173abn

Threads
I cut with a sthil,good saw.If I fell a tree close to a house etc. I rope it off with three ropes,two tied off in opposite directions and one straight out loose.I notch the tree in the direction I want it to fall and proceed to cut,If I have help my helper pulls .If not I run over and pull when The cut is just about through.works every time.a word of caution,make sure the ropes are tied high enough up the tree and the pulling rope is longer than the tree and never wrap the rope around your arm when pulling.a 20 or 30 foot tree has some serious weight and if it goes the wrong way can give you a serious injury on that arm. russ

Carl in CT

Threads
I agree with all of the safety suggestions. I recently dropped a tree and although it went where I wanted I was so glad I took the time to cut ALL of the vines attached to it and clear an escape route because as the tree fell a dead branch fell off and had I been standing where I was as I cut the tree it might have hit me, would have been close.

I also agree that if you are a very occasional user you might not want to spend a lot. That said, I am an occasional user but when I cut I cut quite a bit and I can't stand mechanical problems when I go to use a piece of equipment so I still want a good brand, not a box store saw. My dad's Poulan Pro is ok, way underpowered for the 18" bar they put on it and the gas cap swells when you put gas in the tank and you need channel locks to get the stupid thing off. So even though he cuts very occasionally he hates the cheap saw he has. I bought a 16" bar and chain for it and replaced that for him and even that was a pain because they have a stupid in-bar tensioner that I would stay far away from.

So that raises another question that I need help with (sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread but it might help you decide too). Which of these saws will do best with not being used for months at a time, then being given moderate to heavy use, then put back on the shelf for a few months again?
Stihl, Johnsered, Husqvarna, Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Solo, Efco, other?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know about other brands, but my Sthil saws do just fine if I know that they won't be used for a while, I empty the gas from the tank and then run till they quit - No gas in the carb to cause gum and varnish. Next time they have fresh gas and start up fine.
So that raises another question that I need help with (sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread but it might help you decide too). Which of these saws will do best with not being used for months at a time, then being given moderate to heavy use, then put back on the shelf for a few months again?
Stihl, Johnsered, Husqvarna, Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Solo, Efco, other?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carl in CT;18040... Which of these saws will do best with not being used for months at a time said:
I agree with BKBrown about storing the saw without any gas in the carb/tank. I'd add that it's good to clean the area around the drive sprocket (compressed air is fast and effective) so all that mush won't harden into something akin to particle board.:eek:

Carl in CT

Threads
All good advice about cleaning and I do those steps with my saw but I have heard that some are more tempermental when not run regularly even if they are cleaned out and stored properly. I just don't know which ones those are.

grnspot110

Threads
I've never dumped mine (029 Stihl), as I never know when I'll use it again! I use it off & on all year. I use Seafoam in the gas mix, same can as I use for my trimmer, blower & 10" tiller.

Wouldn't recommend it, but I have an old 1010 McCullouch saw that had set in a steel grainery for at least 5 years. Brought it home a few weeks ago, dumped the old gas out, put in a new fuel filter & fuel, cranked it on carb. cleaner the first two times. Third time it started by choking it, runs, but not well, even after setting that long. I'd like to sell it, but haven't gotten any takers. ~~ grnspot

steved

Threads
I have a month old MS391 that works very well...its a bit big for the average user. The MS290 "Farm Boss" is a pretty good intermediate. Just like everyone else, Stihl has their "homeowner" grade, "commercial" grade, and "professional" grade...make sure you research and buy for your needs. One thing that I like is the tool-less gas and oil caps, but I absolutely despise their tool-less chain tensioner.

FWIW, the Husqvarna's at the box stores are mostly rebadged Poulan's...unless you get into the more expensive saws. Echo is supposedly a real good performer...I may buy one of their smaller saws for limbing.