Stihl Chainsaws

patches

Threads
I have some trees that are dead and need to be cut down. I'm going to have to buy a chainsaw to get the job done and cut them into firewood. I'm thinking about getting a medium-sized Stihl, but does anyone have other suggestions?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I never have problems with my Stihl Saws.

If you aren't familiar with taking down trees -- be careful and get some advice. If you aren't sure -- don't do it alone.

We just had a Father and Son who have logged and done firewood for a living have an accident this summer and the Son was killed by a tree falling on him.

patches

Threads
It's sad that the son died. I used to know a logger and I worked for him for a short time. He usually cut a notch on the side of the tree to get it to fall in the direction he wanted it to. Even with the notch, he told me several times that it was no guarantee that the tree would fall in that direction. I'll be careful and if a tree starts to fall in the wrong direction, I'll get away from it FAST.

Harriet

Threads
We had a Stihl for a couple of seasons. It wasn't as reliable on the starting as we wanted so we traded it in for a Husqvarna which has proven more reliable. There are things to know about safely cutting trees. There was a great instruction booklet that came with our saw---if you haven't done it before do yourself a favor and read the guidelines.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm thinking about getting a medium-sized Stihl, but does anyone have other suggestions?

You can't go wrong with a Stihl Saw, if you are going to be using it regularly it is well worth the price... But if this is about the only use you will have for it, Just about any chain saw will do a single job... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've got three Stihl saws and I believe that their quality is worth paying for. Please read the manual and, if you have any questions, ask the dealer or ask here.

jteuban

Threads
If you want to put some money into it i would def. do it, but if you are only going to use it once I would not go that route. But do not think 2 times about buying a Stihl. They are great. Husky is also a good brand. if you want to look into that. Like I said I you are not going to use it much, I would just go and get a Lowes special, like a Poulen, or even a small Husky.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's sad that the son died. I used to know a logger and I worked for him for a short time. He usually cut a notch on the side of the tree to get it to fall in the direction he wanted it to. Even with the notch, he told me several times that it was no guarantee that the tree would fall in that direction. I'll be careful and if a tree starts to fall in the wrong direction, I'll get away from it FAST.

I had one coming the wrong way one time ---- dropped the saw and got out of the way :eek: ----- tree crushed the saw, but I wasn't in the way and was not hurt. You can replace the saw, but not yourself.

Wind, internal pressures, gravity, can do strange things to standing trees. ALWAYS leave a good clear escape path.

Tractor John

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have and use two Stihls an 021 & 020T not a bit of trouble out of either.

Last edited:

SeabeeChief

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it is only going to be used very little, I would get something cheaper. If it is going to be used pretty regular, Stihl is a great saw. I have a 2750 Poulan that is 30 years old and is running as good as the day i bought it. It has worn out 2 bars and countless chains. My 029 Stihl just died after 20 years and isn't worth overhauling. To each their own.