Stihl BR550. This a first

RevB

Threads
I used their locking screw and still damaged the piston. Oh well, just a hack with some shiny tools.
Rope in the hole....🤔. Works every time but then you risk connecting rod damage if overly aggressive.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure if true or not but in another forum a guy said he damaged a valve using the rope method. I didn't want to risk it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Nothing is 100% safe. As mechanic we all should know things can go awry at the least most opportune time.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder how many people on here have used the rope method piston stop on a 4mix stihl backpack blower? You can't take the cam cover off so you either have to back the rockers way off or get just enough rope in the cylinder that when you crank about 75ft/lb on the fan nut that the valves aren't open.

RevB

Threads
I wonder how many people on here have used the rope method piston stop on a 4mix stihl backpack blower? You can't take the cam cover off so you either have to back the rockers way off or get just enough rope in the cylinder that when you crank about 75ft/lb on the fan nut that the valves aren't open.
Valves are never open at TDC of the compression stroke and the rope is fed in just before it gets there. Two strokes are so much easier.....