Stihl BR550. This a first

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don;t like using piston stops as to me they can put too much pressure on one small area. I keep a clean length of paracord to use as a piston stop.
MY PISTON STOP IS BETTER THAN YOUR PISTON STOP :p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have some of the plastic stops and have used the starter rope trick. I read on another forum that people have damaged the thin valves on the 4mix engines using the rope trick so I bought the piston stop.
MY PISTON STOP IS BETTER THAN YOUR PISTON STOP. 😱

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I tried some aftermarket plastic piston stops and they failed to work. Just trashed them and brought the metal ones. And I holed a couple pistons myself on chainsaws here using piston stops. Just one of the hazards using them.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have some of the plastic stops and have used the starter rope trick. I read on another forum that people have damaged the thin valves on the 4mix engines using the rope trick so I bought the piston stop.
MY PISTON STOP IS BETTER THAN YOUR PISTON STOP. 😱
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::eek:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use plastic ones so they will bend rather than hole the piston .

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Taking off one of these fanwheels is something you need to do, to see what it takes.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Taking off one of these fanwheels is something you need to do, to see what it takes.
Yes sir! I had to set the engine block between the jaws on my big vise and use a 2' bar and a lot of muscle to get it loose. And ruin a piston.

davelakeside1

Threads
On other equipment needing a piston stop, I've used water, simply putting it in the cylinder and putting the plug back in. When done, just pull the engine over a few times to blow out the water. Used this many times before I heard about using rope. From that time on, I just called it the "Rope A Dope Piston Stop" Never had a problem with either method, but using the rope was easier and quicker.

RevB

Threads
Fan was so tight on the crankshaft that the piston stop put a hole in the top of the piston. Took a 2ft long breaker bar and a lot of a$$ to break it loose. View attachment 66817
Small diameter nylon rope....stuff a couple of feet in through the plug hole.The pointy end of a stop just doesn't cut it for me....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is why you need to buy their piston stop and follow their procedure.fw1.JPGfw2.JPG

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used their locking screw and still damaged the piston. Oh well, just a hack with some shiny tools.