starter relay question

cambre

Threads
Looks like the relay next to the solenoid controls the safety switches ( I don't want any safety switches) so I really don't need the relay. Is this right? I wired most of the ignition switch today, all but the magneto. I had to stop to do another job. I will put magneto wire on tomorrow. If every thing works I will let the forum know. If it doesn't work I'm going to get my backhoe and did a hole and bury that sucker.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No relay required. Just the wire from the battery to the starter solenoid, and from the solenoid to the starter, with your other wires coming from the key switch.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Better dig two holes--one for the mower and a big one for the day when the backhoe gives you trouble.

I doubt that the starter relay does any switching except for the starter itself. Other things may draw power from there, but that's only because it's a convenient place to tap into a 12 V. power source.

All your questions can be answered if you can get your hands on a wiring diagram.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
All your questions can be answered if you can get your hands on a wiring diagram.

As I remember I said that in a earlier post. I also said that all a relay is a electric switch, so yes do away with the relay. It also seems like someone told you how to wire the solenoid in a earlier post. best of luck:thumbsup:

cambre

Threads
Better dig two holes--one for the mower and a big one for the day when the backhoe gives you trouble.

I doubt that the starter relay does any switching except for the starter itself. Other things may draw power from there, but that's only because it's a convenient place to tap into a 12 V. power source.

Thanks cpurvis: I got a laugh out of your answer. I may dig 3 holes, one for me to. The reason I asked about the relay is because I did look at the wiring diagram for the umpteenth time. As far as I could tell one wire off of the relay went to the starter wire side of the solenoid. The other relay terminal wire went through the wire harness bundle and went to safety switches which I don't use because I don't cut grass with the mower, I use it to tow a wagon on the property to pick up rocks & limbs & to set gopher & mole traps & to feed the fish in my pond, etc. That's why I thought I may not need the relay.

cambre

Threads
As I remember I said that in a earlier post. I also said that all a relay is a electric switch, so yes do away with the relay. It also seems like someone told you how to wire the solenoid in a earlier post. best of luck:thumbsup:

Yes you said that reynoldston, I didn't remember about doing away with the relay. I work on this thing when I get a chance. I have to stop and do some other things and when I get back to it (sometimes its the next day or longer) I forget where I was. Like I said wiring is something I'm not good at but trying to learn. The people on the forum have been great to help me. I thank everyone.

cambre

Threads
No relay required. Just the wire from the battery to the starter solenoid, and from the solenoid to the starter, with your other wires coming from the key switch.

Thanks ILENGINE.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to take a guess you are looking at a four post relay. The terminals should be numbered. 86 and 85 turns your relay on and off. 87 and 30 they are the switch part. So when you put 12 volt to 86 and ground to 85 it like flipping a manual switch on and when to take the 12 volt away from 86 its turns the switch off. I would say the relay is being told to work off the safety switches so you shouldn't need it. Another thing you will see on relays is no normally open meaning the switch is off and you will see nc normally closed meaning the switch is on. I hope this explains a four post relay better.

cambre

Threads
I am going to take a guess you are looking at a four post relay. The terminals should be numbered. 86 and 85 turns your relay on and off. 87 and 30 they are the switch part. So when you put 12 volt to 86 and ground to 85 it like flipping a manual switch on and when to take the 12 volt away from 86 its turns the switch off. I would say the relay is being told to work off the safety switches so you shouldn't need it. Another thing you will see on relays is no normally open meaning the switch is off and you will see nc normally closed meaning the switch is on. I hope this explains a four post relay better.

Thanks reynoldston, The mower I,m working on has a two post relay but I do have four post relays on other equipment. Your answer will come in handy for them.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks reynoldston, The mower I,m working on has a two post relay but I do have four post relays on other equipment. Your answer will come in handy for them.

I guess never too old to learn. The only two terminal relay I have ever come across is a flasher that flashes a light. I have no idea what you have or know how or what a two terminal relay does or how it even works other then flashes a light. Maybe someone can explain this one to me? I have seen relays with many as 6 terminals called a cube relay but the two terminal relay has me confused. Could you be looking at a circuit breaker and not a relay?:confused2: