SRM-225 string trimmer, a few question on diagnosing and fixes

tkrotchko

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / SRM-225 string trimmer, a few question on diagnosing and fixes
A family member is getting to the point where he can no longer maintain his own lawn, and he gave me his SRM-225, which has seen light use, but has a couple of issues. It wouldn't start, but I noticed right away the 3-hole plug in the fuel tank was dry-rotted, and leaking fuel pretty severely. Seemed like an easy fix, and so that was a (fairly) easy replacement. Unfortunately it still leaks.

But save that problem because the bigger issue is that it struggles to start even with sufficient priming. At best I could get it to run for about 5 seconds on the choke (a big clue), and then it stalls. Which means the carburetor is clogged. I do have an ultrasonic cleaner, so I was wondering if I could just take the carb off and throw it in some detergent for 30 minutes to clean it up, or is that not a good idea? Also, this may sound ridiculous, but I was wondering if he had the lines hooked up correctly. Does anyone have a picture of what goes to where on the carburetor?

Back to the fuel tank. Is there some trick to making sure that plug doesn't leak? Nothing looks damaged, but clearly I'm either doing something wrong in the installation, or the hole in the fuel tank isn't round.

Anyway, I'd appreciate folks input.

(I had forgotten I joined this forum over a decade ago!)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, you really need to replace the lines along with the grommet. Also, you may have hooked the lines back up incorrectly.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What @Rivets said. ☝️
The kit includes new grommets, new lines, and new primer bulbs.
There are two intake manifold block gaskets that you can buy separately. They aren’t normally needed. But, why not? You will already have half of the stuff off.

shurguywutt

Threads
SRM225 is a great trimmer. I have had mine for over 10 years with weekly use and little maintenance. But, I only use E0 (fuel), especially in my 2 strokes. This unit is well worth it to keep it running. Nice find, especially for free!

tkrotchko

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Yes, I replaced all the lines, (sorry, forgot to mention), and a new fuel filter as well. I can replace the bulb, but it looks pristine.

Oh, and yes, I only use the 2 stroke pre-mixed fuel that I've used in all my equipment for years (he did not, he mixed his own).

On the tank grommet and the leak, I'm at a bit of a loss. Should I just use some sort of sealer?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
When installing tank grommet, spray some lubricant such as WD-40 on tank opening and grommet. Carefully install grommet with small screwdriver and your fingers making sure not to damage grommet. It should seal up correctly.
Or, 2 cycle oil.
It can be a booger to get the grommet in. Just be patient and take care not to damage the grommet.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Plus the fuel line must tight fitting.

And you should cleaned and full carburetor repair kit installed. Sometimes even then you might need a new carburetor. Plus there is about 20 serial number breaks for the base SRM-225.