Snapper won't crank

bouncer959

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a fuse in the starter circuit, I’d check that first. Sometimes they are hard to find. If not bad, it could very well be yours new solenoid. I had am customer with a fairly new DR Chipper brush cutter that had exactly he same symptoms. It would blow fuse, but then stopped blowing starter circuit fuse. I narrowed it down to Solenoid was bad. Went to Oriellys, bought one , put on, it started 3 or 4 times then nothing. Let the troubleshooting begin again. Checked solenoid, it was bad. Took it back, replaced it with a full size one for an older Ford pickup, (one mounting hole didn’t match up), that’s been two years ago, says he hasn’t had any problems starting since!

navydad2022

Threads
There is a fuse in the starter circuit, I’d check that first. Sometimes they are hard to find. If not bad, it could very well be yours new solenoid. I had am customer with a fairly new DR Chipper brush cutter that had exactly he same symptoms. It would blow fuse, but then stopped blowing starter circuit fuse. I narrowed it down to Solenoid was bad. Went to Oriellys, bought one , put on, it started 3 or 4 times then nothing. Let the troubleshooting begin again. Checked solenoid, it was bad. Took it back, replaced it with a full size one for an older Ford pickup, (one mounting hole didn’t match up), that’s been two years ago, says he hasn’t had any problems starting since!
Thank you 👍

moparjoe

Threads
So if you're saying the engine cranks, but won't fire with either starter or pull cord I'd check for spark next. If no spark, pull the kill wire on the ignition. If you then have spark, interlock or ground issue, if not bad ignition module
The quickest way to find out if you have spark is take the sparkplug out, hold the plug wire and crank the engine over.

navydad2022

Threads
The quickest way to find out if you have spark is take the sparkplug out, hold the plug wire and crank the engine over.
I can't crank the engine over because the solenoid just buzzes to check for spark,l think l have to jump starter to check for spark.Thats if the starter is good.l was going to replace solenoid, starter and maybe coil to make sure.what do you think.

navydad2022

Threads
I can't crank the engine over because the solenoid just buzzes to check for spark,l think l have to jump starter to check for spark.Thats if the starter is good.l was going to replace solenoid, starter and maybe coil to make sure.what do you think.l have enough current to solenoid,but on previous conversation l need to check the battery,it's new but with this south Texas heat nothing survives.

Forest#2

Threads
Why don't you take the spark plug out a pull the rope and see if the spark plug sparks???????

Instead of just throwing parts at it possibly throwing good money into bad why not do some logical testing????

Post #43 will also give you a clue if it has any spark.

You think MAYBE you have a jump starter, You say?

navydad2022

Threads
Finally got a chance to get to my snapper,turns out my negative cable to battery was bad.could not understand why but l replaced both positive and negative and replaced old starter for a new one and put a new solenoid for assurance.all good for now, going to replace my 3 safety switches also.snapper brought back to life slowly.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad to hear she is running again sir.

The ground is the last thing that would ever get checked. Good job!!

navydad2022

Threads
Glad to hear she is running again sir.

The ground is the last thing that would ever get checked. Good job!!
You're welcome,l could not understand why it was doing that.with your expertise l got it running.i'm bring this snapper back to life slowly,Thank you