Snapper Big Mow Pulley nut

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If he didn't care about the old clutch housing a chisel and a hammer and about 30 seconds and problem solved

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some idiot DIY guy should have a doctor do a lobotomy on himself. Willing to bet he used the starter cup to replace the bevel washer when he installed the starter clutch.
If it can to me and the customer wanted it repaired, I would do the following.
1. Remove the coil and put a strap wrench around the flywheel.
2. Either cut a piece of wood or take a large punch to get at the clutch ears, or remove the cover and starter bearings to get at the heavier internal clutch body.
3. Holding the flywheel I would try pounding the starter clutch body Counterclockwise to loosen the clutch body.
I know this is a little off base, but sometimes you need to think out of the box. If you do ruin the body they are still available, but don’t reuse the starter cup, get the proper washer.

lavatan

Threads
Some idiot DIY guy should have a doctor do a lobotomy on himself. Willing to bet he used the starter cup to replace the bevel washer when he installed the starter clutch.
If it can to me and the customer wanted it repaired, I would do the following.
1. Remove the coil and put a strap wrench around the flywheel.
2. Either cut a piece of wood or take a large punch to get at the clutch ears, or remove the cover and starter bearings to get at the heavier internal clutch body.
3. Holding the flywheel I would try pounding the starter clutch body Counterclockwise to loosen the clutch body.
I know this is a little off base, but sometimes you need to think out of the box. If you do ruin the body they are still available, but don’t reuse the starter cup, get the proper washer.
I haven't done anything "DIY" on the motor. I assume you haven't seen a motor that has a pully on both the top and bottom. The top is for the front drive wheel of the mower. The bottom pulley is for the blades. I suppose I could modify the 19244 tool to fit in the space but I've always been of the opinion the right tool for the right job if one exists. If not, that's what I'll do. By the way, Rivets, you should read the entire thread before jumping to conclusions.

Here is the mower that I'm talking about by the way.

swisher2.jpg

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Screenshot_20240313-140824_Chrome.jpg

What does the underside of the recoil housing look like? Does it use the ratchet (square hole) ?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am confused..... you say it has a pulley on the top of the engine to drive the front wheel. Does it have a pull rope start or electric? I don't understand how it has a belt pulley and a rope recoil on the engine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Whoever put that on really didn't want to drive to town to buy a damn nut!!!

Hammer and chisel, try to move it ccw.

lavatan

Threads
I am confused..... you say it has a pulley on the top of the engine to drive the front wheel. Does it have a pull rope start or electric? I don't understand how it has a belt pulley and a rope recoil on the engine.
It actually has both a rope pull and an electric start. I would have to assume that the housing for the rope pull sits higher than normal to clear the pulley. I didn't really pay attention to that part as I'm trying to remove the crank but I need to be able to remove these parts first.

lavatan

Threads
Whoever put that on really didn't want to drive to town to buy a damn nut!!!

Hammer and chisel, try to move it ccw.
As far as I know it came from the factory this way.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lavatan, I’ve worked on more small engine equipment in one month than you have in your entire life. Who ever installed a starter clutch inside a starter cup should never be allowed to use tools. If you feel that everything was installed properly, then ignore my post. If you look at and understand the picture Hammer posted, you will see two different starting systems were used on that engine. Some idiot combined the two setups. I doubt you will find that that setup has never been seen or used by any of the experienced techs on this site. If it were, someone could provide you with the tool to remove it. Haven’t see that yet, but there is a 1% chance I’m wrong. Believe what you want, it’s your unit.