smoking ELS

kevinsmith

Threads
I picked up a craftsman gt5000 with a 22hp ELS model. 10h777..type. 0241 e1..code.030714yg..got it cheap and it runs and mows but it is smoking a bit so I put new head gaskets on it but didn't fix it I got 125 psi on one cylinder and 75psi on the other I am guessing it needs rings ..did I answer my on question or am I missing something else any advice would help..

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Recheck numbers and post, model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx. Numbers you posted not showing up, and yes compression is low.

FAQ | Lawn Mower Safety Tips | Briggs & Stratton

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/u...dStratton/RepairManualByEngineModelSeries.pdf these are B&S repair manuals, I suggest you locate correct model number and purchase manual, just google" B&S manual number" and search for lowest price & have it delivered to your door. The answer to your question is possibly, you will need to perform a thorough inspection of all internal engine parts for wear and make a parts & gasket order, if you purchase manual, inspect all parts per manual, order OEM B&S replacement parts and reassemble per manual instructions you will have a smooth running machine, be sure to adjust valves to specs. after reassembly, new oil, spark plugs & air filter.

post craftsman model number from under seat.Results Use OEM B&S parts page 9 this manual.

Last edited:

kevinsmith

Threads
I can recheck the numbers when I get a chance....but I know the compression is low so with me replacing the head gaskets that only leaves one thing right the rings or am I just guessing.

kmbelt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can recheck the numbers when I get a chance....but I know the compression is low so with me replacing the head gaskets that only leaves one thing right the rings or am I just guessing.

Have you verified your valves are in proper adjustment. If they are off, it can skew your compression readings.