Export thread

smoking ELS

K

kevinsmith

I picked up a craftsman gt5000 with a 22hp ELS model. 10h777..type. 0241 e1..code.030714yg..got it cheap and it runs and mows but it is smoking a bit so I put new head gaskets on it but didn't fix it I got 125 psi on one cylinder and 75psi on the other I am guessing it needs rings ..did I answer my on question or am I missing something else any advice would help..

M

mechanic mark

Recheck numbers and post, model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx. Numbers you posted not showing up, and yes compression is low.

FAQ | Lawn Mower Safety Tips | Briggs & Stratton

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/u...dStratton/RepairManualByEngineModelSeries.pdf these are B&S repair manuals, I suggest you locate correct model number and purchase manual, just google" B&S manual number" and search for lowest price & have it delivered to your door. The answer to your question is possibly, you will need to perform a thorough inspection of all internal engine parts for wear and make a parts & gasket order, if you purchase manual, inspect all parts per manual, order OEM B&S replacement parts and reassemble per manual instructions you will have a smooth running machine, be sure to adjust valves to specs. after reassembly, new oil, spark plugs & air filter.

post craftsman model number from under seat.Results Use OEM B&S parts page 9 this manual.

K

kevinsmith

I can recheck the numbers when I get a chance....but I know the compression is low so with me replacing the head gaskets that only leaves one thing right the rings or am I just guessing.

K

kevinsmith

Engine... 40h777...type.. 0241 e1 ...code... 030714yg

K

kmbelt

I can recheck the numbers when I get a chance....but I know the compression is low so with me replacing the head gaskets that only leaves one thing right the rings or am I just guessing.

Have you verified your valves are in proper adjustment. If they are off, it can skew your compression readings.

K

kevinsmith

I got the valves set at 4 thousands