Sharpening chain saw

buster57

Threads
I use a stihl pole saw with a 12" chain and a MS460 for the bigger stuff. I sharpen the chain every use.
When the best of my efforts don't get me a clean cut I have the local saw repair shop sharpen the chain. Usually about 10 chains at a time...

grnspot110

Threads
I have used a chainsaw for about 25 years and I have always used a round file on the teeth. I have never filed down the "drags" or whatever the correct term is. I do have a cheater on the file though. I got it at Wal-Mart. It attaches to the file, and it shows the correct angle you should file. Every time I file it, it cuts like a brand new chain. Unless I get it in the dirt, then it is time to file again. Worst thing in the world for a chainsaw is dirt!

Same here on the file! I've used saws longer than that & have never used anything but the correct sized round file. If kept sharp, you won't need to file the drags! Depends on what you're cutting, for me, usually 3 strokes of the file every tank of gas will keep it in good shape.

Keep in mind filing a chain is a learned Art, some people will not be able to get it, and that's OK, just do it the way it work s for you. ~~ grnspot110

Simplicity1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have always used a round file to do my chain since I was 14 year old - we couldn't afford to have them professionally sharpened so it was born of necessity. Its been close to 40 years now and I haven't found anything easier.

Now I tend to only cut for a tank or two of gas and on a Husky 262 that means maybe 8 - 10 14" trees. I hit each tooth with four or so strokes before each day's cutting and this takes about 15 minutes. I only file the raker height when the teeth are about half used up.

If I do hit a rock it means stopping and doing a major filing job - it's hard enough work without forcing the saw through the wood. I have a vernier caliper so that I can maintain the length of each tooth to the same approximate size. I did just buy diamond coated files that I haven't tried yet. I'm hoping they last longer than the standard files which seem to be getting more cheaply made - probably a product of the Far East. I'll get back to you on how this works.

T Bridger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Even if you're just cutting a few pieces of wood each day you definitely need to sharpen your saw by now! It takes some practice, but not too hard to learn - at least for "touch-up" sharpening.

Checkout Chain Saw Sharpeners Guide website for some good information about sharpening your chainsaw. It's not the prettiest site, but it will help you learn the basics.

captaincrab55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Even if you're just cutting a few pieces of wood each day you definitely need to sharpen your saw by now! It takes some practice, but not too hard to learn - at least for "touch-up" sharpening.

Checkout Chain Saw Sharpeners Guide website for some good information about sharpening your chainsaw. It's not the prettiest site, but it will help you learn the basics.
Wise words & Great link..

My Daddy taught me how to sharpen chains when I started using the saw @ age 15... I do have a Northern sharpener and a Foley Bellsaw attachment, but seldom use either... I sharpen as neede to keep the saw cutting good. Usually 3 swipes as needed. I'm using a spray weld carbide chain from;
http://cutterschoice.com/aboutus_us.shtml

Berniep

Threads
I have used a few different sharpeners but always seem to go back to the file.
I will defintily have to look up those diamond coated ones. The files I get seem to dull pretty quick nowdays. Also I don't worry about keeping the teeth the same lenght. Doesn't seem to matter much if I file a bunch on one tooth because I hit something, still cuts fine.

Zeroturn

Threads
Wow, a lot of different answers here. I sharpen mine with a file. It takes forever. I put the blade in a vise grip and then sharpen each tooth with the file. I'm thinking it's time to sharpen it. It does push out a lot of saw dust.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I've seen a quote "if i had six hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 4 hours sharpening my axe." Seems this would also apply to chainsaws, the 15 or 20 minutes to "brush" each tooth will be more than paid back each day of cutting. My saw is generally for storm clean up, so I always put it away sharp. Clamp bar in the bench vice facing to my right, 5 strokes on each tooth from the outside towards the root, then turn the saw to face to my left and 5 strokes on all the alternate teeth, from the outside towards the root. It's how I was taught by my uncle the woodcutter.