Scag Tiger Cat

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just found the pics of my Hustler X-ONE and it doesn't have an engine oil cooler.
The oil cooler would be installed where the stickers are that are on the blower housing.

Attachments

• Hustler X-ONE Comstock 005.JPG
    Hustler X-ONE Comstock 005.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 20

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just got home from my local Scag dealer and a quick visit to several other dealers as well.
I looked over the Scag Tiger Cat II closely and I must say that I'm impressed. It was a 52" with a Kawi FX691 engine.
Scag did a fine job with the upgrades to this machine relative to the standard Tiger Cat.
I like the way the did the fan cooled pumps under the seat. The Tiger Cub/Cat hydraulic system needed some help with added cooling.
They moved the control panel to the right side which appears to be an industry standard if you will. My Hustler X-ONE has R/H side controls.
The price tag was showing the monthly payment, I turned it over and got a mild case of "sticker shock" at $9,600, but the machine pretty much demands that!!!
So with all that I came home a little sad! But me and my Tiger Cub will have to stay together for a while longer. Maybe the price of the standard Tiger Cat will come down some, oh well I can hope!!!!!!

John R

Threads
Mine does have the 61" deck, it has a FX 730V Kaw engine.
Seems to run great, if the oil cooler is mounted where you said, mine doesn't have one.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not many, if any FX 730 and smaller have engine oil coolers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not all Kawi FX engines have an engine oil cooler, it depends on the engine code. The engine code is specified by the mower manufacturer.
If an FX engine has an oil cooler, it is mounted directly above the oil filter on the blower housing where it gets airflow thru it supplied by the rotation of the fan on the flywheel which also forces cooling air by the cylinders.
My Kawasaki FX powered Hustler X-ONE is in storage at the moment so I'm not able to take a pic of it and I'm not positive that it has an engine oil cooler installed on it.
I have pics of the X-ONE some where in my pics, just have to looking for them.

Yes,
They mount them there and this is counter productive, along with heavy duty air filters.
These make removing the engine covers a real PIA so no one ever does it so the engine ends up overheating due to reduced air flow. cause by the obstruction of the oil cooler, increased air temperature again due to the oil cooler and mainly because it has now now become a 1 hour job to remove the engine covers to clean the cooling fins off properly.
Even worse is that the cooling oil goes into the sump where it is least needed in place of the head where it is most needed.

A clip on electric fan from an old computer with the oil cooler mounted well away from the engine would be a much better idea.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We are running two Tiger Cat Scags. They are incredible machines. We run them under brutal conditions.One will be a year old in about a month and has over 500 hours on it. The other one will be two years old in July and has over 600 hours on it. Both are 52" cut with the Kawasaki motor on them. Seriously considering trading my last Kubota in and getting a third just like the other two.