Scag Tiger Cat

John R

Threads
Looking for a new zero turn and I'm looking at the Tiger Cat, It comes with a Kohler, or a Kawasaki engine.

What is the best to go with?

The Kohler is EFI, and the Kawasaki has a carburetor, I like the idea of fuel injection but not sure of Kohler quality.

Kohler used to be one of the best air cooled engines going, but it's like everything else that has been cheapened up over time.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A few questions for you.
Scag Tiger Cat or Tiger Cat II?
I'm not sure if the Tiger Cat II is available yet.
I assume that you are considering a 52" or 61" deck model as they are the only models with Kohler EFI or Kawasaki FX engines.
As ZTRs are dusty by design, the two stage air filtration system is a must. Both the Kohler and Kawi have this type of air filter.
The Kohler EFI engine has an onboard computer electronic fuel management system as it is has electronic fuel injection.
The EFI system has an additional electric fuel pump to raise the fuel pressure that is supplied to the EFI system.
Diagnosing EFI engine problems requires the use of a computer with the Kohler software installed.
Generally this is done by a Kohler servicing dealer when needed.
The Kawasaki FX engines have a carb which doesn't need to be electronically controlled and only needs the engine mounted pulse fuel pump.
I have no experience with Kohler EFI engines, but some experience with Kawasaki FX engines.
Some of my fellow lawn care buddies have Kohler EFI powered Scag Turf Tigers and for the most part are satisfied with them.
I also own a Hustler X-ONE/60" rear discharge deck, with a Kawasaki 730FX engine. This is one sweet running engine, machine now has about 350 hours on it and is a 2012 model used primarily for cemetery duty.
I also have a Scag Tiger Cub/48" deck, collection system, 30 HP Briggs Commercial Turf engine. This machine had been repowered in 2013 as the original Briggs Intek had a problem.
Another thought, along with the collection system on my Tiger Cub, I have a JRCO 46" front mounted de-thatcher. This combination is fantastic for both spring and fall cleanup!!!
Make sure that the Tiger Cat that you are looking at has the adjustable suspension seat on it, great seat!!!
A few thoughts from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

John R

Threads
Thanks Mad Mackie for the info, was looking online and found the Tiger Cat II, called the dealer and he has both the Tiger Cat, and Tiger Cat II.
Going tomorrow to have a side by side look, guess there is about $1200.00 difference in the two.

Anyway I'll see in the morning.

Thanks again.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like what Scag did to upgrade to the Tiger Cat II, particularly the fan cooled pumps. The addition of a fuel gauge is good.
Scag used to make a Tiger Cub and a Wildcat. Both were discontinued and the Tiger Cat was born, primarily from the Tiger Cub, but with some of the goodies from the Wildcat.
The hydraulic system on my Tiger Cub gets very hot during extended periods of operation and the Tiger Cat has the same system.
I have wanted to install an additional hydraulic cooler on my Tiger Cub, just haven't got around to doing it yet.
Turf Tigers have an oil cooler as standard equipment and I want to buy one and install it on my Cub. Not sure where I would put it, but I would find a spot and probably add an electric fan to push air thru it as I have done on other machines.
I need to replace the pump drive belt, idler/tensioner pulleys and tensioner spring this season and I hope that my local Scag dealer has a Tiger Cat II in stock so I can look it over up close. :licking::laughing:

John R

Threads
Well the deed is done, dealer is delivering the new Tiger Cat II on Saturday, can hardly wait.
I ended up getting the Kawasaki engine on his recommendation, and I saved $500.00, The EFI Kohler is that much more.

The Tiger Cat II has a lot more features than the Tiger Cat..

Thanks for all the help.

MontecarloSS

Threads
Love the Tiger Cat as Mad Mackie stated the adjustable seat is great.

Question to Mad Mackie ideas on how to install a cooler on the tiger cats?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi MonticarloSS,
The oil cooler that is used on Scag Turf Tigers is a dual cooler, check the attachments. Although pricey, over $200, it is well suited for a custom installation on a Tiger Cub/Cat. The only location that I have thought comfortable is on a custom bracket mounted to the blower housing on the engine. In this position it will be out of the way somewhat and in a position to get some airflow thru it from incoming air into the air cooled engine.
This cooler is two separate coolers in one unit, each pump has it's own cooler and return line to the hyd reservoir.
On Tiger Cubs/Cats there already is a single return oil line installed into the reservoir, a 2nd return line fitting would need to be installed into the reservoir. These oil return lines are located above the normal oil level in the reservoir.
The oil cooler is about 10-12 inches long and about 4-5 inches high.
The oil return lines on Tiger Cub/Cat are "Teed" to each other and return the oil in a single line to the reservoir.
I haven't measured the hose fitting on this oil cooler or my machine, but I do think that they are the same size.
Some thoughts from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Attachments

• scan0002.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

John R

Threads
Dealer showed up around noon and I drove it around in the driveway for a couple of hours, not as bad of a learning curve as I thought it would be.

Seems like a nice machine.
Now. if only the grass would grow. :laughing::laughing:

John R

Threads
Love the Tiger Cat as Mad Mackie stated the adjustable seat is great.

Question to Mad Mackie ideas on how to install a cooler on the tiger cats?

The Kaw engine manual boast and engine oil cooler on the FX engines, don't know where it is though.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not all Kawi FX engines have an engine oil cooler, it depends on the engine code. The engine code is specified by the mower manufacturer.
If an FX engine has an oil cooler, it is mounted directly above the oil filter on the blower housing where it gets airflow thru it supplied by the rotation of the fan on the flywheel which also forces cooling air by the cylinders.
My Kawasaki FX powered Hustler X-ONE is in storage at the moment so I'm not able to take a pic of it and I'm not positive that it has an engine oil cooler installed on it.
I have pics of the X-ONE some where in my pics, just have to looking for them.