rusty fuel tank

Michael72

Threads
Citric acid powder good too....have used it on many diff alloys....small parts i stick in a pot and simmer away :)

Pumper54

Threads
Have cleaned motorcycle tanks by draining the tank, flushing it out with water to get the big stuff out, tape or plug all the little holes and then dump in a bunch of old nuts and bolts. Add some kerosene, put the filler cap back on and then shake the crap out of it, turn it around and around as you shake. I like Burt's idea of the concrete mixer. When you are really tired of shaking dump everything out through the filler hole and inspect your work. I used Kreem on a tank years ago but the new 'gas' eats it. Have not used POR15 yet but have heard good things about it.
Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I put KREEM in my ULH Flathead tanks back around 1990, it's still in there, in spite of the P4 Gas (piss for gas). Something more modern would be POR-15, I think it's very similiar to what Harley has been using in tanks for decades.

OK I should have been a little more specific.
I can not recommend Kreem because of problem we have found down here.

The caveat on that is the P4G we get here is most likely different to the P4G you get there.
I have had a couple of bikes treated with Kreem where it starts to dissolve into the P4G and after a week or so caused the P4G to go off and not allow the bike to start.
Took us a long while to sort that one out.
Bike ran like a top in the workshop using the workshop overhead fuel tank. Put fresh P4G into the bike, it also ran like a top.
Owner took in home and was happy for week or so then it would not start.
Usually the old P4G gets put into one of the fuel injected vehicles or occasionally kept for removing silicon.
At wits end we tried something different .
We tipped his old P4G into my bike, and it would not run either, and my old side banger will run on kerosene on a hot day.
Stripped the kreem out of the tank , problem solved, customer has been riding this bike for the past 7 years without problems.
We now only use Caswells because Caswell guarantee it will not be affected by any "fuel" and POR won't give us the same.
I love POR-15, we use it as the base coat for every repaint, there s nothing better and my old bikes & reconditioned mowers never ever show any rust.
I used gallons doing all of the iron work around the workshop including the roof an the owners & myself could not be happier with the result .
However reputations are very fragile and I will not chance mine on a product that has no guarantee.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And just to make things a bit clearer.
All metal oxides are alkaline, so just about any acid will remove oxidation ( rust )
Acetic acid ( white vinegar ) , Citric acid, Hydrochloric acid, Muriatic acid , Phosphoric acid, even sulphuric acid will all remove rust to some extent.
the difference is that some of the byproducts are highly protective ( phosphoric) some leave an active surface , Hydrochloric and some passivate so only partially remove the rust.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I bet you have heard of citric acid.
Common name Vitamin C

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I bet you have heard of citric acid.
Common name Vitamin C

Clean fuel tanks with Vitamin C, getting very confusing ??? We started with white vinegar, then canning juice and now Vitamin C pills. :confused2:

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK I should have been a little more specific.
I can not recommend Kreem because of problem we have found down here.

The caveat on that is the P4G we get here is most likely different to the P4G you get there.
I have had a couple of bikes treated with Kreem where it starts to dissolve into the P4G and after a week or so caused the P4G to go off and not allow the bike to start.
Took us a long while to sort that one out.
Bike ran like a top in the workshop using the workshop overhead fuel tank. Put fresh P4G into the bike, it also ran like a top.
Owner took in home and was happy for week or so then it would not start.
Usually the old P4G gets put into one of the fuel injected vehicles or occasionally kept for removing silicon.
At wits end we tried something different .
We tipped his old P4G into my bike, and it would not run either, and my old side banger will run on kerosene on a hot day.
Stripped the kreem out of the tank , problem solved, customer has been riding this bike for the past 7 years without problems.
We now only use Caswells because Caswell guarantee it will not be affected by any "fuel" and POR won't give us the same.
I love POR-15, we use it as the base coat for every repaint, there s nothing better and my old bikes & reconditioned mowers never ever show any rust.
I used gallons doing all of the iron work around the workshop including the roof an the owners & myself could not be happier with the result .
However reputations are very fragile and I will not chance mine on a product that has no guarantee.

Bert- IDK if your P4G is different or not, none of it is what it used to be. I think we can mutually agree on that.

And don't think I would use today's Kreem either. Have heard of others having similiar issues.

Caswell's is top quality stuff. Agree, having a guarantee is a good thing. Shows confidence in their products.