Removing flywheel on push mower

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just why is everyone against using a puller to remove a flywheel? I have removed many flywheels and never damaged one yet using a puller. Just what am I doing wrong? I have seen more damage to the top of the crankshaft from someone hitting it with a hammer then any puller has made. Is a puller too much work or too slow? Just what damage is the puller doing? In a earler post somesaid a 8 lb hammer. Is that better?? Am I wrong in saying a 2 cycle uses roller bearings on its crankshaft and just what does all the hammering doing to them bearings? Or am I wrong in saying it is bad to hammer on a roller bearing. You are sure not working on anything of mine.

Duffer72

Threads
Yes pullers are slower and in a shop time is $, have Never used one to pull a flywhel and have never had any problems getting them off or damaging a flywheel in over 30 years in the shop, considering the beating those bearings get based on the use of these type engines again never had a problem and used the same procedure on 2 cycles also, again with no problrem.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes pullers are slower and in a shop time is $, have Never used one to pull a flywhel and have never had any problems getting them off or damaging a flywheel in over 30 years in the shop, considering the beating those bearings get based on the use of these type engines again never had a problem and used the same procedure on 2 cycles also, again with no problrem.

You may not like what I have to say here but, Sound like some good old flat rate work to me. Been there and done that for over 25 years I worked flay rate. Shop time is dollars. Now that I am retired in my 70's and its my shop its my way or not at all and if the customer doesn't like it take it else where. I take all the time I want to remove anything and might even go take a nap. Of course I don't do it to make big dollars. If you been in it for 30 years you sure know what I mean by flat rate. You get your time out of a book how long to fix something and then see how fast you can beat that time. The customer looses and you make big $$. Yes I do take off some flywheels off with the pry bar and hammer, if they come right off easy.

Duffer72

Threads
Nope never used flat rate books, but I did have set charges for most repairs in most cases, I also go a little slower and pick and chose want I work on now, since it isn't my real income or paying someone elses along with uncle sam. Havent worked up to taking a nap in the middle of a job:thumbsup: yet

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Nope never used flat rate books, but I did have set charges for most repairs in most cases, I also go a little slower and pick and chose want I work on now, since it isn't my real income or paying someone elses along with uncle sam. Havent worked up to taking a nap in the middle of a job:thumbsup: yet

Now it sounds more like my type of work. I buy all my parts retail to keep Uncle Sam out of my business. My repair business is more a hobby then a business. I try to keep it down to lawn equipment, motorcycles, and ATV's. Every once in a while someone will talk into fixing a car or pickup truck which I don't care for anymore. My first rule to the customer is don't rush me. The nap comes in time with age.

Duffer72

Threads
Nope no cars here, have enough to do with 3 daughters cars and the wife's. I buy my parts from a guy I worked for part time when I was laid off for a year, he gives them to me for cost +10% .
I'm mainly mowers and riders, try to stay away from 2 cycle if all possible, not a big fan and always made sure I had a good 2 cycle guy on the payroll for them. 1 guy was with me for over 12 years and I think he still works for the new owner, I know he still did 5 yrs ago if they are still in business.
I mainly use the cash for golf expenses and schedule my work around my golf days. So I only work tues and thurs and sat mornings.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Nope no cars here, have enough to do with 3 daughters cars and the wife's. I buy my parts from a guy I worked for part time when I was laid off for a year, he gives them to me for cost +10% .
I'm mainly mowers and riders, try to stay away from 2 cycle if all possible, not a big fan and always made sure I had a good 2 cycle guy on the payroll for them. 1 guy was with me for over 12 years and I think he still works for the new owner, I know he still did 5 yrs ago if they are still in business.
I mainly use the cash for golf expenses and schedule my work around my golf days. So I only work tues and thurs and sat mornings.

Sure sounds like you enjoy retirement as much as I do. My expenses is for my motorcycle.

gary lee

Threads
If all fails use a slap or chain wrench to reline the crankshaft and flywheel slot. You are going to have use something to hold blade from moving.

gary lee

Threads
Hey man there is a toro 2 cycle flywheel for sale on ebay. good luck

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
In a earler post somesaid a 8 lb hammer. Is that better?? Am I wrong in saying a 2 cycle uses roller bearings on its crankshaft and just what does all the hammering doing to them bearings? Or am I wrong in saying it is bad to hammer on a roller bearing. You are sure not working on anything of mine.
I'm sorry you don't understand thrust clearance. If you did you could readily see the precious roller bearings aren't being beaten on with a hammer. When the flywheel and shaft separate the only thing the bearings see is the weight of the shaft as the thrust of the shaft goes in the opposite direction.

I'll work on my own.