RARE SIGHTINGS NEEDED! Anyone with XT1LT42, XT1LT46 or XT2LX42 ??

bullrider

Threads
  • / RARE SIGHTINGS NEEDED! Anyone with XT1LT42, XT1LT46 or XT2LX42 ??
Going way back to the GM mil fault codes on my 1985 Pont....Grounding two pins initiates the blink codes. My 1991 Nissan has a little (cigar box sized) ECU with a plastic screw on the back which is turned one way to initiate the fault blink codes. Maybe something simple on the CC connector if you can find it?

Well... I'm not inclined to go so far as unplugging anything, with my luck I'd break off a little interlock tab or something - or who knows what. I'll wait and see but I bet that hour meter would read out the codes. Nothing could be easier, quicker, or CHEAPER for CC than to just press a button and get any codes that exist on the LCD window.

I also have a Harley Sportster, bought used but I made sure that I got one which had fuel injection on it. On the HD forums a lot of the guys are scared of the EFI system, they'd say they'd rather take apart their own carburetor and tune the engine, and so forth. But really, I don't feel the need to 'tune' my bike any further. And after having a number of motorcycles over the years and fighting with them to get them started every spring, to press the button and have the engine fire and start on the first compression stroke is SO much better.

The CC doesn't have a crank sensor so it doesn't start up quite that instantly, but it does start on probably the 3rd compression stroke like clockwork, and stays running no matter where I have the throttle set.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Understand the reluctance.

I guess this forum needs a simplified breakdown of what is happening in the fuel injection system as each "squirt" is measured and delivered to the combustion chamber. Perhaps the analogy of a cook book of many pages where a team of little FI dwarfs each looks up and calls in his part of the recipe to the main kitchen chef who prepares the meal. Maybe what is hard to imagine is how fast, and how many times per second this "group" activity can take place for the perfect fuel mix during any demand by the environment (hot ,cold, etc) and/or the driver (fast, slow etc). Calculations so fast the ECU is really yawning with boredom, especially in the case of the slow revving tractor engine.

Now with tax time upon us imagine one individual's forms being done by hand over a period of several hours. The on-board ECU finishes that one and hundreds others as quick as you push a button. Tax=depressing. Speed = great. :cool:

bullrider

Threads
Understand the reluctance.

I guess this forum needs a simplified breakdown of what is happening in the fuel injection system as each "squirt" is measured and delivered to the combustion chamber. Perhaps the analogy of a cook book of many pages where a team of little FI dwarfs each looks up and calls in his part of the recipe to the main kitchen chef who prepares the meal. Maybe what is hard to imagine is how fast, and how many times per second this "group" activity can take place for the perfect fuel mix during any demand by the environment (hot ,cold, etc) and/or the driver (fast, slow etc). Calculations so fast the ECU is really yawning with boredom, especially in the case of the slow revving tractor engine.

Now with tax time upon us imagine one individual's forms being done by hand over a period of several hours. The on-board ECU finishes that one and hundreds others as quick as you push a button. Tax=depressing. Speed = great. :cool:

A carburetor is like having your taxes done by someone with an abacus...

I would be interested in knowing what the EFI sensors do and how the engine maintains RPM's. On my HD the throttle is actually an electronic 'volume control' - it doesn't have anything to do with the fuel system directly. Just like your car, the throttle is just another kind of adjustable resistor. Not sure if that's how it works on the CC. But really who NEEDS to know all that in order to trust it? Do any of us feel the need to understand our car's electronic systems to trust them? Fact is, for the most part, they just work and work and work. I am not the least bit interested in going back to system I can understand and (frequently have to) fix myself.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
motoman & bullrider... YOU guys,... with all the determination you fella's have to convince all of us "carburetor-kickers" to love EFI, it occured to me, you probably need to "step-up " your presentation, of the mechanics of EFI, to those of us, less inclined, to venture into the realm of the yet to be proven & trusted, characteristics of EFI, perhaps, this brief video will guide you, in your efforts to convince us, to join the "Dark-Side of the unknown !! .. :thumbsup:..:laughing:..:laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

THIS is a presentation ........ watch & LISTEN carefully !!

bullrider

Threads
motoman & bullrider... YOU guys,... with all the determination you fella's have to convince all of us "carburetor-kickers" to love EFI, it occured to me, you probably need to "step-up " your presentation, of the mechanics of EFI, to those of us, less inclined, to venture into the realm of the yet to be proven & trusted, characteristics of EFI, perhaps, this brief video will guide you, in your efforts to convince us, to join the "Dark-Side of the unknown !! .. :thumbsup:..:laughing:..:laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

THIS is a presentation ........ watch & LISTEN carefully !!

Well it's very amusing, no doubt. I like all that imitation doubletalk. But really, EFI on a CC is just a new place to use a system that's been around plenty long enough to prove how much better it is.
This is hardly an identical comparison, and forgive the occasional F-word usage, but this mirrors exactly my experience with an EFI motorcycle vs a carbureted one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGlqcq9RLYo

No skin off my nose if someone prefers a carburetor... but next winter when it's zero degrees out I'm gonna post a video of my EFI CC starting within two seconds of cranking even after having sat for a couple of months. :)

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well it's very amusing, no doubt. I like all that imitation doubletalk. But really, EFI on a CC is just a new place to use a system that's been around plenty long enough to prove how much better it is.
This is hardly an identical comparison, and forgive the occasional F-word usage, but this mirrors exactly my experience with an EFI motorcycle vs a carbureted one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGlqcq9RLYo

OK I know you're making your argument, BUT we both know, there was / is a serious carb problem there and the dick-head doesn't realize he's melting the starter, that leads me to believe, piss-poor maintenance of the machine, I think it had a choke gremlin !
BTW, my 98 Camry 4 banger is a fuelie, and never had the system cleaned or touched (outside of filters, and CONSTANT diet of Lucas fuel treatment since I've owned it ( 11 years now, in fact my mileage increased by 3 MPG after 2 months of using the Lucas)
I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUV my Camry and I als loved the Kawi Z1Rs too ! ... RICE-BURNERS RULE !! ( I wasn't ALWAYS THAT way !! )

:laughing:..:laughing:

bullrider

Threads
OK I know you're making your argument, BUT we both know, there was / is a serious carb problem there and the dick-head doesn't realize he's melting the starter, that leads me to believe, piss-poor maintenance of the machine, I think it had a choke gremlin !
BTW, my 98 Camry 4 banger is a fuelie, and never had the system cleaned or touched (outside of filters, and CONSTANT diet of Lucas fuel treatment since I've owned it ( 11 years now, in fact my mileage increased by 3 MPG after 2 months of using the Lucas)
I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUV my Camry and I als loved the Kawi Z1Rs too ! ... RICE-BURNERS RULE !! ( I wasn't ALWAYS THAT way !! )

:laughing:..:laughing:

Well - if that guy's bike has a serious carb problem then so has every last one of my motorcycles - all of the carbureted ones - prior to my Sportster. Yet once I finally convinced them to start and run, they were pretty much OK after that. But the first time of the season? They weren't interested in the idea of running.
I wonder if part of the EFI's charm is that it works with PRESSURE and not mere gravity and the suction of air moving past holes? Which can get plugged a lot more easily than a system where the fuel is pressurized up to where it's released?
I'll certainly allow that fuel injection systems seem to like having something good run through them occasionally, Techron or SeaFoam or StarTron or something to keep them tidy.
My Lexus V6 (2005 ES with 3.5) sits all winter in my garage and starts at the turn of a key. I remember the old Kaw Z1-R's, I think the first ones came out with EFI back in '79 or '80? And I'm not positive but I think those MAY have had some issues. But hey, that was 38 years ago.

Last edited:

bullrider

Threads
motoman & bullrider... YOU guys,... with all the determination you fella's have to convince all of us "carburetor-kickers" to love EFI, it occured to me, you probably need to "step-up " your presentation, of the mechanics of EFI, to those of us, less inclined, to venture into the realm of the yet to be proven & trusted, characteristics of EFI in your efforts to convince us, to join the "Dark-Side of the unknown !! .. :thumbsup:..:laughing:..:laughing:

Take a look a thread or so above this one... one guy's got a CC that's only a year old and it's got an annoying surging problem despite having been stored with a full tank of stabilized fuel. Different posters say 'It's a lean fuel air mix, take it for warranty repair', then 'It's not a warranty issue, you need fresh gas, fuel filter needs changed, maybe carb needs to be cleaned'... then 'Maybe it's a governor issue'.

I have all the sympathy in the world for the guy and hope he gets his issue sorted quickly, but that is just the kind of problem I've had with small engine carburetors. I have a push lawnmower that's now about 20 years old and I think it's the only small engine I've had where I've never had a problem with the carb and I have never done anything but add gas when it ran out. Weed wackers, Wheel Horses, snow blowers, all of them have given me carb troubles.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
NEW guy with EFI eng, maybe you can exchange info. .........Boo

MORE EFI.PNG

bullrider

Threads
NEW guy with EFI eng, maybe you can exchange info. .........Boo

View attachment 36931
Maybe given that EFI is a relatively new thing on this sort of equipment, it would be a good thing for there to be one place where the subject itself can be discussed so the people contemplating making the jump can get an idea of others' experiences. Or is there a forum here that would be a natural fit for this topic?