Raptor SD54

L454S

Threads
Just took delivery of my new Raptor SD54. Been driving around a while learning the touch of ZTR. So far so good.

Did a lot of shopping around and comparing, this mower seemed the most bang for the buck. Looked at Husky, was $500 more for about the same spec machine. Looked at Deere, not impressed. Looked at Toro also, as well as Bad Boy. Have a Hustler dealer within 4 miles as with the others. It is a stout piece of machinery. I have about an acre to cut with some slopes and some rough ground.

Want to thank the posters here for helping with my pick. All posts can be helpful, good and bad.

From the Swamp, Lenny

DSCN0959.JPG DSCN0961.JPG

Last edited:

L454S

Threads
After running around for about an hour yesterday, I started looking the mower over closely this morning. The transmission tank was empty, needed some topping, not a great deal.

Noticing the mower always veers to left, no matter the throttle setting with levers full forward. Very hard to keep a straight line cutting. I checked the tire pressure and found all at about 16/17lbs. Let all down to 10lbs. as per manual, still same veer to left. Made some adjustments on the right lever stop under the seat, and then aligned the levers to be together at full forward. All good now.

Not terrible, but these are things the dealer should have taken care of prior to delivery.

MRCo.

Threads
The dealer should have caught the tracking and tires. I set all men to 10 psi. The hypo tank though, I can give I'm some slack. I've found that they come filled right from the factory, but after some use they get low. No leaks. I think that the filter elements saturate ans suck up more oil once it is moving through them under pressure. Just keep it opped up, not a big deal.

Congrats on your machine, it's a great rig.

mooch91

Threads
After running around for about an hour yesterday, I started looking the mower over closely this morning. The transmission tank was empty, needed some topping, not a great deal.

Noticing the mower always veers to left, no matter the throttle setting with levers full forward. Very hard to keep a straight line cutting. I checked the tire pressure and found all at about 16/17lbs. Let all down to 10lbs. as per manual, still same veer to left. Made some adjustments on the right lever stop under the seat, and then aligned the levers to be together at full forward. All good now.

Not terrible, but these are things the dealer should have taken care of prior to delivery.

I've noticed the same with mine, on both counts.

I'm particularly concerned about the empty hydro expansion tank. Hoping I haven't run it with excessively low fluid and damaged/prematurely worn something in the process...

L454S

Threads
Mooch, sent you a PM about adjustments.

Only took about 4 oz. to bring the tranny tank to the full cold line. Not a big deal.

mooch91

Threads
Mooch, sent you a PM about adjustments.

Only took about 4 oz. to bring the tranny tank to the full cold line. Not a big deal.

Thanks Lenny, I will take a look. I want to drive it some on level ground; I may have been feeling the effects of having a somewhat hilly property, but I will confirm tonight. I'm also going to stop for some 20W50 for the expansion tank.

L454S

Threads
These are the adjustment bolts that are mentioned earlier. It's just a stop block that moves up and down in a slot, the side facing bolt is a lock bolt and the top facing one is the adjuster. The last pic is also the last adjustment made, aligning the bars.
DSCN0963.JPGDSCN0964.JPG
DSCN0965.JPG

L454S

Threads
Broke over 6 hours on the machine and decided to do the initial oil and filter change. Used a Purolator L14476 filter and Chevron Delo 5W40 Syn. I usually use Shell Rotella 15W40 for all outdoor power equipment, going to give this HD Syn. 5W40 a try.

Yes, 3 gorilla's tightened the OE oil filter on. I got it off using a gorilla sized pair of channel locks. The oil drain is in an unfriendly place, and requires a 10MM wrench to loosen the outer cap. It works like the old style petcock on a radiator. Don't use a lot of force, it is plastic and don't remove the plug all the way. The supplied hose works(slowly), but be aware of where you stick it out below(don't fill up the black cross brace with oil).

It took just over 2 quarts of oil to be at the full line after run it to fill the filter and recheck.

So far I am satisfied with the machine, it has done all I asked of it.
DSCN0978.JPGDSCN0980.JPGDSCN0981.JPG

Tta197

Threads
Pure One filter Part No. PL2019 and a Motorcraft Fl-400s also work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 9

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
I was advised to use SAE 30 period by dealer.In terms of oil filter I'm going with Kawasaki brand even though expensive.I'm sure there are many differing opinions about this topic.I finally got the expansion tank at the right level,added about 6 ounces:thumbsup:.