Raptor SD

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
I'm disappointed! Received word from delivery service today(was hopeful they would deliver!),they will not deliver to my area until the 23rd.I'm really bummed as my grass is getting really tall with the rain we've had.I have resorted to running over the highest parts with my car so to make a path.I know we are talking at least two mowings to make it look presentable to my leering neighbors.If my neighbor with the Dixie Chopper offers to cut I will accept at this point.He loves to show off....but I'll swallow my pride at this point.:mur::mur::mur:

Last edited:

Dothehustle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm disappointed! Received word from delivery service today(was hopeful they would deliver!),they will not deliver to my area until the 23rd.I'm really bummed as my grass is getting really tall with the rain we've had.I have resorted to running over the highest parts with my car so to make a path.I know we are talking at least two mowings to make it look presentable to my leering neighbors.If my neighbor with the Dixie Chopper offers to cut I will accept at this point.He loves to show off....but I'll swallow my pride at this point.:mur::mur::mur:

That stinks, from what you posted earlier you male be able to bale your grass by then...if you wait to mow it take pics and video or at the very least give a review......I am still loving my raptor sd I mowed my pond dam with it and it powered right up the dam much better than my two previous mowers keep in mind it had not been mowed yet this year when the rest of the property was on mow number 5

RaptorSD

Threads
Anyone know if theres an iron/tapered bearing spindle that fits the raptor?

RaptorSD

Threads
May I ask why you would be considering replacing the spindles on a new ZTR????

I sometimes cut a wooded lot, rocks limbs stumps mines, impossible to catch everything. Although I'm sure the aluminum housing is ok, a tapered roller bearing should outlast the ball bearing in these conditions(and not take out the housing when it does let go). stock spindles are ok for 99% of raptor owners, change the bearings when they get rough and go, I'd guess they'll last a long time in normal conditions!

Been looking at the super z spindle, looks like it might work with matching pulley? Need to research more.

Mtmellum

Threads
Hi All

narrowing my search and getting close to pulling the trigger on the Raptor SD.

need the forums opinion & knowledge on three things
1. engine guard price?
2. 48" vs 54". (I'm thinking 48" as I can get it in my 7 x 4 trailer for shifting between home and rental)

and finally the question that will get the most responses
3. why buy the Raptor SD (or not)?

thanks

Tta197

Threads
Hi All

1. engine guard price?
2. 48" vs 54". (I'm thinking 48" as I can get it in my 7 x 4 trailer for shifting between home and rental)

thanks

Get the 54". I had a 52" Raptor that I sold before I bought the 54" sd. I hated the small tires on the 52" Raptor along with how the deck was hung.
The 54" for extra $100 comes with bigger tires. I love how it handles on slopes.

Kremeneon

Threads
48 to 54 SD is quite an upgrade for $100, the tires also are why I did it (bought the SD 54).

The only downside is that the 54 sits so wide front and back that you only have about 2" of deck hanging out the left side for trim work. The 60" brings that trim reach back to a good value. when trimming I am paying as much attention to the rear tire as I am the front tire and deck lip. With better trim reach you can about ignore the rear tire.

JohnCardin

Threads
Hi All

1. engine guard price?

thanks
1. I paid $69 for the guard ($159 for mulching kit) the 54 looks a lot nicer with the rear guard. Just make sure you keep the throttle and choke cable from rubbing.

2. The front tires on the 54/60 are impressive and the 12" tires in the rear look nice too. But if all you can fit is the 48 then that seals your decision.

3. Kawasaki engine, serviceable hydrostatic. Nice construction. The sd is generally beefier that the regular raptor so I say that if you could swing the sd, then do. See if you can get them next to each other and you'll see the deck differences (construction and attachment) and the front frame constructions.

I also looked at Kubota but I didn't like the Kohler motor. I did like the 3100 hydros but those are overkill for my application. I didn't want green and I didn't look at the others. Big dog might be an option if you need a longer warranty.

Last edited:

Mtmellum

Threads
1. I paid $69 for the guard ($159 for mulching kit) the 54 looks a lot nicer with the rear guard. Just make sure you keep the throttle and choke cable from rubbing.

2. The front tires on the 54/60 are impressive and the 12" tires in the rear look nice too. But if all you can fit is the 48 then that seals your decision.

3. Kawasaki engine, serviceable hydrostatic. Nice construction. The sd is generally beefier that the regular raptor so I say that if you could swing the sd, then do. See if you can get them next to each other and you'll see the deck differences (construction and attachment) and the front frame constructions.

I also looked at Kubota but I didn't like the Kohler motor. I did like the 3100 hydros but those are overkill for my application. I didn't want green and I didn't look at the others. Big dog might be an option if you need a longer warranty.

Thanks John