Raptor SD

MRCo.

Threads
So 3 people on here have issues with their mowers that are being addressed under warranty and recall fix is being implemented, but yet some people would have you believe it's mower Armageddon... Please. In my distributors territory alone there have been 850 RSDs sold this spring. Mountains from molehills.

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
On a lighter note...I need some basic info. on mower trailers,I will be useing the RSD 54".My questions for you experienced folks..What should I be looking for and where to buy/cost.I do not have a trailer hitch currently.I would not need to use this for any other reason other than hauling mowers or beer!:biggrin:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
So 3 people on here have issues with their mowers that are being addressed under warranty and recall fix is being implemented, but yet some people would have you believe it's mower Armageddon... Please. In my distributors territory alone there have been 850 RSDs sold this spring. Mountains from molehills.

After 42 years in Information Systems, I am well aware of the statistical implications. Now if all 850 owners in your territory were ALL on this forum and posted their likes/dislikes and/or problems encountered with their new RSD's we could get a much better overall picture of the percentage of incidents and overall quality at delivery of the RSD's. The problem, as I see it, is that Hustler is aware of a proven defect and the dealers are allowing buyers to take delivery of ZTR's that have not had the recall repair performed. There have been many "new model introductions" in recent years, like the Kubota Kommander, the Husqvarna M-ZT 52, etc. and none of those had issues with belts or tension springs breaking upon the first few mowings. Or at least none were reported on this forum(again, we understand that not everyone that buys a new ZTR is on this forum). Users who come here when shopping for a new ZTR are ready to spend several thousand dollars on a machine and by all accounts they should expect it to perform without problems on day one. To me, nothing would be more frustrating than shelling out $4k-$5k for a ZTR and the first time I mow with it something like a belt or tension spring breaking requiring it to be returned to the dealer for a repair. As "minor" as you seem to think that inconvenience is, neither you nor I are the 3 owners that experienced that. To err on the side of caution, I can only ensure that any threads that I respond to where a user is considering buying a RSD that I point out to them price point comparisons of the RSD components to other similarly priced ZTR's as well as reported problems by new owners. It's up to them to weigh out the significance of the reported problems and discuss the recall with the Hustler dealer they are dealing with.

All that being said......I have recommended Hustler ZTR's in the past(I came close to buying a FasTrak SD myself) and have stated many times that "Hustler don't make no junk". One would think that by now all Hustler dealers would have contacted "ALL" of their customers who purchased RSD's and have implemented the recall fix. We are aware of at least 3 dealers who did not:0(

And, like I advised a user who was awaiting delivery, I see absolutely no reason why a dealer would not correct any recall repairs on a RSD and ensure the new owner it had been done. Pre-delivery setup is one of the most important reasons to buy from a dealer versus a big box store. When I picked up my new Gravely, I found "white chalk mark X's" at every point where a bolt was where they had re-torqued every nut on the machine. The sales manager told me that they spend no less than 4 hours going over every machine and checking everything prior to delivery. And it would be VERY disappointing if Hustler has not made the necessary changes to QC on the assembly line to rectify the clutch assembly problem for any new RSD's coming off the assembly line. One would expect no less from a leader in the industry like Hustler. I guess reported problems with new RSD's will reveal that over the next few weeks and months.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
On a lighter note...I need some basic info. on mower trailers,I will be useing the RSD 54".My questions for you experienced folks..What should I be looking for and where to buy/cost.I do not have a trailer hitch currently.I would not need to use this for any other reason other than hauling mowers or beer!:biggrin:

Here are links to a couple of threads discussing trailers. If you post your questions there you may get better feedback more quickly from other users monitoring those posts. I'd be glad to share my experience shopping for trailers and buying a Lone Wolf trailer for my ZTR. I am VERY happy with it. Be leery of the cheap trailers you see at big box retailers. Check out these threads and good luck finding exactly what you need!!!

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/comme...iler-suggestions.html?highlight=trailer+setup

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/comme...ur-trailer-setup.html?highlight=trailer+setup

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
After 42 years in Information Systems, I am well aware of the statistical implications. Now if all 850 owners in your territory were ALL on this forum and posted their likes/dislikes and/or problems encountered with their new RSD's we could get a much better overall picture of the percentage of incidents and overall quality at delivery of the RSD's. The problem, as I see it, is that Hustler is aware of a proven defect and the dealers are allowing buyers to take delivery of ZTR's that have not had the recall repair performed. There have been many "new model introductions" in recent years, like the Kubota Kommander, the Husqvarna M-ZT 52, etc. and none of those had issues with belts or tension springs breaking upon the first few mowings. Or at least none were reported on this forum(again, we understand that not everyone that buys a new ZTR is on this forum). Users who come here when shopping for a new ZTR are ready to spend several thousand dollars on a machine and by all accounts they should expect it to perform without problems on day one. To me, nothing would be more frustrating than shelling out $4k-$5k for a ZTR and the first time I mow with it something like a belt or tension spring breaking requiring it to be returned to the dealer for a repair. As "minor" as you seem to think that inconvenience is, neither you nor I are the 3 owners that experienced that. To err on the side of caution, I can only ensure that any threads that I respond to where a user is considering buying a RSD that I point out to them price point comparisons of the RSD components to other similarly priced ZTR's as well as reported problems by new owners. It's up to them to weigh out the significance of the reported problems and discuss the recall with the Hustler dealer they are dealing with.

All that being said......I have recommended Hustler ZTR's in the past(I came close to buying a FasTrak SD myself) and have stated many times that "Hustler don't make no junk". One would think that by now all Hustler dealers would have contacted "ALL" of their customers who purchased RSD's and have implemented the recall fix. We are aware of at least 3 dealers who did not:0(

And, like I advised a user who was awaiting delivery, I see absolutely no reason why a dealer would not correct any recall repairs on a RSD and ensure the new owner it had been done. Pre-delivery setup is one of the most important reasons to buy from a dealer versus a big box store. When I picked up my new Gravely, I found "white chalk mark X's" at every point where a bolt was where they had re-torqued every nut on the machine. The sales manager told me that they spend no less than 4 hours going over every machine and checking everything prior to delivery. And it would be VERY disappointing if Hustler has not made the necessary changes to QC on the assembly line to rectify the clutch assembly problem for any new RSD's coming off the assembly line. One would expect no less from a leader in the industry like Hustler. I guess reported problems with new RSD's will reveal that over the next few weeks and months.

I think what MrCo is saying is is true it's mountains from molehills. The things that are happening with the RSD are thing that can happen with any mower manufacturer with a new mower or even an older mower that"s been on the market for a while. The thing with belts or tension springs breaking upon the first few mowing is nothing new and it's not necessarily Hustler with the problem.
My Toro Grandstand has been the greatest mower I've ever run but it broke a belt and a tension spring the third time out, less than 8 hrs and I just took it back to the shop that morning and I was mowing that afternoon and Toro fixed the thing under warranty just like Hustler will fix there's and with the fact there is a recall apparently seems like Hustler is taking care of the problem and probably informed there dealers of the fix. I really think like MRCo said your making mountains out of molehills.

neverenoughtime

Forum Newbie
Threads

Lol, I have to agree. I have around 10 hours on my Raptor SD 60" and am loving it more every time I mow. Not had a single problem once. Called my Dealer they said it was a simple fix. Picked it up the next day. He said by far the Raptor Sd had been his number one seller this year so far. Great mower for the price.:laughing:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think what MrCo is saying is is true it's mountains from molehills. The things that are happening with the RSD are thing that can happen with any mower manufacturer with a new mower or even an older mower that"s been on the market for a while. The thing with belts or tension springs breaking upon the first few mowing is nothing new and it's not necessarily Hustler with the problem.
My Toro Grandstand has been the greatest mower I've ever run but it broke a belt and a tension spring the third time out, less than 8 hrs and I just took it back to the shop that morning and I was mowing that afternoon and Toro fixed the thing under warranty just like Hustler will fix there's and with the fact there is a recall apparently seems like Hustler is taking care of the problem and probably informed there dealers of the fix. I really think like MRCo said your making mountains out of molehills.
Well, I will defer to those of you with more experience with ZTR's than I have and I may be having a knee jerk reaction to the problem reports. If indeed Hustler has this under their thumb, reports of similar problems should dwindle to nothing over the next several weeks/months. Sooooo, should these problems even be mentioned to other users that are considering a purchase of a RSD or just simply ignored?????

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, I will defer to those of you with more experience with ZTR's than I have and I may be having a knee jerk reaction to the problem reports. If indeed Hustler has this under their thumb, reports of similar problems should dwindle to nothing over the next several weeks/months. Sooooo, should these problems even be mentioned to other users that are considering a purchase of a RSD or just simply ignored?????

I guess that's where we differ on the situation. I don't view these things as a problem, yeah it may be a little inconvenience but it's a simple fix like one dealer said. From what I understand were talking about a simple spring and belt replacement which I carry a spare belt in the truck for my ZTR and have done the replacement a hand full of times. The thing I don't see is blaming Hustler for something they have no control of or over.

padave65

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you think? Raptor SD54 with free delivery and engine guard for 3868+tax or Toro MX5060 for 3775 delivered plus tax?

Did anyone pull one of those little trailers from Sears before with their raptor sd? Does not look like they put enough space between the hole and the back of the trailer.

JimDawg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have somewhere between 4 and 5 hours on my Raptor SD 54" and I have no complaints. Both the quality of cut and efficiency of the mower are impressive..oh... and the Kawasaki motor is as powerful and quiet as other reviewers have posted.

I would buy one again.

~ Jim