Raptor SD 54" (initial 5 hr oil change)

Datadave

Threads
Sorry Kraky, The dragons tail comment was a joke about Florida -
replying to 577jersey talking about scary sloped lawn mowing and he said not many slopes in Florida.
I took it as a safety tip. Talk about drifting off topic, I asked about removing the fender on the SD so
the oil filter & drain would be easier to access with old man hands & fat arms- {Not one reply to that}
I can usually BS with the best of them but some of this stuff is Way Beyond me...
2 ft grass in 2days?
You left out the part about When it rains - Yes Pensacola Bahia will grow thick tough shoots
with seed bearing tassels 2' to excess of 3' tall. When it rains and the summer heat / high humidity kicks in
seed shoots (I call them tassels) can spring up from 1' to 2' high in just a couple of days.
I am a good BS_er myself to be sure but this is no exaggeration. This is the grass that was developed to be
drought resistant, stop erosion on the side of slopes & highways, and caused me to buy a Super Duty.
Pensacola Bahia.jpg

BTW I rode the Dragons tail on a Harley Dyna Wide Glide (scraping the foot pegs and shooting sparks)
Too old and broke down for that any more

577jersey

Threads
Sorry Kraky, The dragons tail comment was a joke about Florida -
replying to 577jersey talking about scary sloped lawn mowing and he said not many slopes in Florida.
I took it as a safety tip. Talk about drifting off topic, I asked about removing the fender on the SD so
the oil filter & drain would be easier to access with old man hands & fat arms- {Not one reply to that}

You left out the part about When it rains - Yes Pensacola Bahia will grow thick tough shoots
with seed bearing tassels 2' to excess of 3' tall. When it rains and the summer heat / high humidity kicks in
seed shoots (I call them tassels) can spring up from 1' to 2' high in just a couple of days.
I am a good BS_er myself to be sure but this is no exaggeration. This is the grass that was developed to be
drought resistant, stop erosion on the side of slopes & highways, and caused me to buy a Super Duty.
View attachment 29156

BTW I rode the Dragons tail on a Harley Dyna Wide Glide (scraping the foot pegs and shooting sparks)
Too old and broke down for that any more
LOL..I had an 03" Honda VTX 1800 with 110 HP to rear wheel,,drug my pegs a few times also...couldnt keep a back tire on that bike longer than 1200 miles..lol

kraky

Threads
I shouldn't be alive from my old biking days either.... I had no idea that us hot rod bikers would turn into a bunch of old farts talking about lawn mowers.... at least we're still here....LOL!

577jersey

Threads
Thats right!!
Life is short,,ride hard,mow hard,and eat good :)

Im only 45 but I cant ride a crotch rocket for much longer than 20 miles without going crippled...I used to ride a Ninja 900R all day long 300 plus miles,,when I was 30...amazing what 15 years will do.

Datadave

Threads
I had a front brake lock up on a Honda 900 - down went me & the bike. Bought it used and
found out the brake fluid had never been flushed. The stuff gets hard and clogs the passage
in the caliper. Lesson learned the hard way.
Good thing it happened before I got down to Main street where I always opened her up going
across Trout river bridge. It only hurt my pride and skinned the bike a little.
Always loved to hear them Four into One headers :thumbsup:

45? You guys are young, I'm pushing 60 but lived it like I stole it :)
Yepper, now I'm an old man talking about lawn mowers

577jersey

Threads
Ten four datadave,,
Sounds like we have alot in common brother,,Ill catchya around the forum bro...

Tom

Datadave

Threads
OK Tom and kraky
All this MC talk made me fire up the ole Harley and charge the battery.
Let her run about 6-7 minutes so maybe this weekend I can turn a mile :)
- watch it rain - hope not!
any how, it's back to work for now.
C_ya
Dave

577jersey

Threads
Roger that Dave!!
All I have is a worked 150cc scooter now..sold all the big dawgs..the scooter is loads of fun though..and comfortable.
Ride safe bro!!

Tom

Have_Blue

Threads
Who installs the filters on the engines for Hustler?
Is it the engine manufacturer? Is it done at the Hustler factory? or done at the dealer?
The reason I ask is Because someone needs extensive training just after a good butt kicking :mad:
If i had not previously read the experiences of Gringeaux I would have been in total shock.

Also: Why go so stingy with the oil drain hose? I had it crimped an half way off the drain nipple
to reach over the Hydro drive brace. (didn't want to clean oil off the brace you know).
It needed to be at least 1" longer - 3 to 4" would have been better.
Gee-wiz - - -> how low will the bean counters go????

Oh By The Way
I did have plenty of room to get to the oil filter and drain valve - after removing the right side fender.
Four small bolts and it pops off. loosened the control panel and I was able to slide the fender out far
enough to easily get to everything. I could not maneuver the control panel out of the fender section
without taking off the throttle bracket - but when you get the room you need and it is 98 degrees -
why go any further :cool:

Thanks again
Dave

Thank you! Seems like engine and mower engineers would do simulated maintenance on a few of their products before unleashing them on unsuspecting customers. My first thought was "So they started welding oil filters on to the engine now". :)

My local Ace Hardware sells several sizes of clear polyurethane tubing by the foot. I will get me a couple of feet of it before my next oil change.

Datadave

Threads
Thank you! Seems like engine and mower engineers would do simulated maintenance
on a few of their products before unleashing them on unsuspecting customers.
My first thought was "So they started welding oil filters on to the engine now". :)

My local Ace Hardware sells several sizes of clear polyurethane tubing by the foot.
I will get me a couple of feet of it before my next oil change.

You say your oil filter was installed with an impact wrench like mine.
Good idea for the clear polyurethane tubing. I haven't been to the hardware
store since I changed the oil in my RSD but will keep it in mind on the next trip.