Questions on new ZTR

Brucebotti

Threads
I will begetting my New Toro MX5060 delivered on Wednesday and I have a few questions. I would post this in the Toro Forum, but they are general questions pertaining to the Kawasaki twin motor and the Z-2800 transaxles.

1. The owners manual says to use either some special Toro Hydro Oil or 20w/50 motor oil in the Z-2800 transaxles. Which do you guys use? If you go with the motor oil, do you use conventional or synthetic?

2. The owners manual says to turn the PTO on, and off at full throttle? Is that correct? It seems like that would cause problems. I'm guess it's okay if that's what Toro recommends.

3. The owners manual says to turn the ignition off at full throttle. This definitely seems like it would cause problems.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.
Bruce

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will begetting my New Toro MX5060 delivered on Wednesday and I have a few questions. I would post this in the Toro Forum, but they are general questions pertaining to the Kawasaki twin motor and the Z-2800 transaxles.

1. The owners manual says to use either some special Toro Hydro Oil or 20w/50 motor oil in the Z-2800 transaxles. Which do you guys use? If you go with the motor oil, do you use conventional or synthetic?

2. The owners manual says to turn the PTO on, and off at full throttle? Is that correct? It seems like that would cause problems. I'm guess it's okay if that's what Toro recommends.

3. The owners manual says to turn the ignition off at full throttle. This definitely seems like it would cause problems.

Bruce

My owners manual says the Hydraulic oil type is either Toro HYPR-OIL or 15w/50 Mobil 1 Synthetic motor oil in the drive and to change the filter with a Hydraulic type of oil filter. It also says that the Toro HYPR-OIL can be changed every 500 hours but if you decide to use the Mobil 1 it needs to be changed every 250 hours. As far as engaging and disengaging the PTO and starting and stopping the mowers I do that at half throttle.

LakeRat1

Threads
Plus 1 for shuting down the engine at 1/2 throtle, if i have been running hard Cut back to 1/2 let the engine run a few min. the shut it down,

Rat

Brucebotti

Threads
My owners manual says the Hydraulic oil type is either Toro HYPR-OIL or 15w/50 Mobil 1 Synthetic motor oil in the drive and to change the filter with a Hydraulic type of oil filter. It also says that the Toro HYPR-OIL can be changed every 500 hours but if you decide to use the Mobil 1 it needs to be changed every 250 hours. As far as engaging and disengaging the PTO and starting and stopping the mowers I do that at half throttle.

Thanks Ric,
I agree with the 1/2 throttle for PTO and engine shutoff..

Which Toro do you have? Its funny that the manual would have a different viscosity than mine. I will likely just go with the Toro HYPR-OIL. I will definitely change it more frequently than 500 hours. Even the 250 hours will be 5 years for me.
Bruce

PS. Thanks LakeRat1 for your confirmation also.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks Ric,
I agree with the 1/2 throttle for PTO and engine shutoff..

Which Toro do you have? Its funny that the manual would have a different viscosity than mine. I will likely just go with the Toro HYPR-OIL. I will definitely change it more frequently than 500 hours. Even the 250 hours will be 5 years for me.
Bruce

PS. Thanks LakeRat1 for your confirmation also.

I have the Toro Grandstand and it runs pumps and wheel motors. Yours are Hydrostatic drives but if you want funny or just weird, My Z-force 48" ZTR runs the 2800 drives and the manual calls for regular 15w/40 oil. I use the Shell Heavy Duty RoTella-T. Explain that one.

Brucebotti

Threads
I have the Toro Grandstand and it runs pumps and wheel motors. Yours are Hydrostatic drives but if you want funny or just weird, My Z-force 48" ZTR runs the 2800 drives and the manual calls for regular 15w/40 oil. I use the Shell Heavy Duty RoTella-T. Explain that one.

Ric,
That does seem pretty bizarre:confused2:
Bruce

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Bruce

I don't know what kind of lubricant the Toro Hydro Oil is and I try to steer clear of the synthetic-vs-regular oil back-and-forthes........but the ZT-2800 is a HydroGear integrated hydro tranny and I'm 99.999% sure that HydroGear recommends 20w50 motor oil for all of their integrated trannies. I'm sure other lubes will work, but I'll most likely stay with 20w50 in my ZT-3400 trannies until my Gravely is no longer under warranty(and probably won't change then:0)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric,
That does seem pretty bizarre:confused2:
Bruce

I agree it is bizarre but that's what it says and that's what they told me at the shop to use and my 2800's have right at 700 hrs so if they blew up today I couldn't complain.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree it is bizarre but that's what it says and that's what they told me at the shop to use and my 2800's have right at 700 hrs so if they blew up today I couldn't complain.

IMHO all synthetics will "meet or exceed the manufacturer's recommended requirements"......the problem I have with changing to them from my regular motor oil is (1)the cost of them exceed my monetary allowance for lubricants...and (2)I don't trust any lubricant enough to feel comfortable changing it after twice(or three times) the hours/mileage that the engine manufacturer recommends between oil changes. I'm going to change my car/truck every 3,000 miles anyway and my lawn mower every 50 hours anyway so it just boils down to how much is it going to cost me. Now if I was "lazy" and refused to change the oil in my car/truck except every 10,000 miles and my lawn mower every 150 hours.....I had "better" put a good synthetic in it cause regular motor oil just won't hold up that long. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:0)

Brucebotti

Threads
I don't know what kind of lubricant the Toro Hydro Oil is and I try to steer clear of the synthetic-vs-regular oil back-and-forthes........but the ZT-2800 is a HydroGear integrated hydro tranny and I'm 99.999% sure that HydroGear recommends 20w50 motor oil for all of their integrated trannies. I'm sure other lubes will work, but I'll most likely stay with 20w50 in my ZT-3400 trannies until my Gravely is no longer under warranty(and probably won't change then:0)

Djdicetn,
At least with the hydros I have time to research before the first change. I will likely go with the Toro recommendation, at least until thewarrantee is over. The oil and filter I will change once a year and use conventional oil. I will likely put on about 25 - 40 hrs per year.
Thanks,
Bruce