Questions - Kawasaki FR691V

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
I recently purchased a 2023 Spartan Mower RZ-HD 54 in that has a Kawasaki FR691V 23 hp engine.

I'm seeing that apparently they are saying to use 10w40 ???

Oil change kit for Kawasaki engines at:

I know in the automotive world 10w40 is not recommended because it allows for more engine wear and a lot of other mower engines use 10w30

Does it hurt anything to go ahead and use Amsoil 10w30 which is full synthetic.

The OEM oil provided in the Oil change kit for Kawasaki engines is a 10w40 synthetic blend

Or, should I use their 10w40 synthetic blend for the first oil change (recommended at 8 hours use)... and after that switch to Amsoil 10w30 full synthetic?

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Also the OEM oil filter is Kawasaki 49065 0724

But, I found the same filter size in Wix which should be better quality - Wix Oil Filter 51394XP

I'll contact Amsoil to see if they have a filter in their line that's the same as Wix 51394XP

txmowman

Threads
The smart thing to do would be to use genuine Kawasaki parts while the engine is within warranty. Although it is not required, if there is any issue with the engine, it can’t be suspected that the cause of the failure is due to using an aftermarket part. Kawasaki oil is formulated with the proper additives for maximum Kawasaki engine protection. Do you know this to be the case with Amsoil? How much zinc is in the Amsoil? Synthetic is not necessarily a better oil. And why would it “hurt” the engine?

As far as oil filter, from what data are you concluding that Wix is a better filter? I would love to see this data.

There is not a break in oil change with the engine. Oil change interval is every 100 hours or annually, which ever comes first, Change more often in extreme conditions such as dirty conditions. Check the oil at each use. It literally takes less than 30 seconds.

Don’t know where you live but if you are in the south or mowing more dirt that you are grass, you had best keep up on keeping your air filter properly maintained as well. The FR model is not ideal for rear engine zero turn mowers, especially with bagger systems. Depending on your lawn situation, you might want to purchase a case of air filters. Never blow them out. They are paper! Make sure you check under the filter for debris build up between the filter and the fan shroud. Keep the clamp as tight as you can get it by hand (thumb and finger). And do not let the filter get wet. Again, it’s paper.

With that, you have a commercial grade engine that should provide many years of great service. But, I can tell this engine is already doomed because you want to save a couple of bucks on parts that may not be to spec.

If someone come to my shop with using aftermarket parts within the warranty period, I am less inclined to go to bat for that person.

Congratulations on the purchase of your new mower. Best of luck.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
The smart thing to do would be to use genuine Kawasaki parts while the engine is within warranty. Although it is not required, if there is any issue with the engine, it can’t be suspected that the cause of the failure is due to using an aftermarket part. Kawasaki oil is formulated with the proper additives for maximum Kawasaki engine protection. Do you know this to be the case with Amsoil? How much zinc is in the Amsoil? Synthetic is not necessarily a better oil. And why would it “hurt” the engine?

As far as oil filter, from what data are you concluding that Wix is a better filter? I would love to see this data.

There is not a break in oil change with the engine. Oil change interval is every 100 hours or annually, which ever comes first, Change more often in extreme conditions such as dirty conditions. Check the oil at each use. It literally takes less than 30 seconds.

Don’t know where you live but if you are in the south or mowing more dirt that you are grass, you had best keep up on keeping your air filter properly maintained as well. The FR model is not ideal for rear engine zero turn mowers, especially with bagger systems. Depending on your lawn situation, you might want to purchase a case of air filters. Never blow them out. They are paper! Make sure you check under the filter for debris build up between the filter and the fan shroud. Keep the clamp as tight as you can get it by hand (thumb and finger). And do not let the filter get wet. Again, it’s paper.

With that, you have a commercial grade engine that should provide many years of great service. But, I can tell this engine is already doomed because you want to save a couple of bucks on parts that may not be to spec.

If someone come to my shop with using aftermarket parts within the warranty period, I am less inclined to go to bat for that person.

Congratulations on the purchase of your new mower. Best of luck.
The Kawasaki FR series is residential not commercial grade engine. Using 10W-30 vs 10W-40 depends upon operating temperatures. Please do some research. Manual will tell you 200 hours on filter and 100 hours on oil in between changes. Many people, including me, cut that down to 50 hours change oil on both oil and filter.

txmowman

Threads
The Kawasaki FR series is residential not commercial grade engine. Using 10W-30 vs 10W-40 depends upon operating temperatures. Please do some research. Manual will tell you 200 hours on filter and 100 hours on oil in between changes. Many people, including me, cut that down to 50 hours change oil on both oil and filter.
The FR is so a commercial grade engine. The long block of the FR, FS, FT and FX are virtually identical. The FR is intended to be on a tractor, under a hood. Just because they get mounted on a zero turn does not change the classification on the engine. So, should it be used “commercially” on the back of a ZTR? Absolutely not!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
The FR is so a commercial grade engine. The long block of the FR, FS, FT and FX are virtually identical. The FR is intended to be on a tractor, under a hood. Just because they get mounted on a zero turn does not change the classification on the engine. So, should it be used “commercially” on the back of a ZTR? Absolutely not!
Please look up FR series on several different sites if you don’t believe me. States it is for residential applications. The FX series is the true commercial engine.

For the record, I always acknowledge when I am wrong, apologize and move on. I am not here to get into a pissing contest with anyone, only to learn and help.

txmowman

Threads
Use classification and engine classification are not the same. It is a commercial grade engine intended for use on residential applications. Hows that? We are both correct on what we are describing. It is the lowest cost engine in the twin cylinder line up.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Do you know this to be the case with Amsoil?

Amsoil exceeds manufacturer's requirements and they get approval from manufacturer's to get them to sign off on their oil as meeting or exceeding their requirements. Amsoil is a big player in the small engine world so their oil is going to be better that OEM oil.

Kawasaki has someone making their oil for them to the specs they think is best, so Amsoil is going to exceed manufacturer's requirements as this is what they do.

I'm questioning the wisdom of using 10w40 as this has been shown to allow for more bearing wear. Up until recently it appears that Kawasaki was recommending 10w30 so it's odd that they would now say to use 10w40 when everyone else is saying to use 10w30 in their engines.

Oil change interval is every 100 hours or annually,

Not on this new engine. The manual says to change it after the first 8 hours which is common practice. Then after that they say change it ever 100 hours. I typically don't use my mower for 100 hours during each mowing season so I change it once a year whether it's up to 100 hours or not.

you had best keep up on keeping your air filter properly maintained as well.

I'm installing an upgrade kit for a commercial air filter housing - Kawasaki FR Air Filter Upgrade Kit

So I'm way ahead of the game on air filtration

I can tell this engine is already doomed because you want to save a couple of bucks on parts that may not be to spec.

Yeah, sorry - you've been misinformed bud. rolleyes2.gif

The oil and filters I'll be using cost more than OEM because they are high performance providing better quality than OEM which is not hard to achieve these days

Most of the time there are better parts to be had than OEM parts. I spent a lot of years working in the automotive repair business and OEM parts are not all they are cracked up to be and some are crappy quality so they can sell you more parts and repairs later since manufacturer's are geared towards increasing their bottom line, not building quality products.

Many people, including me, cut that down to 50 hours change oil on both oil and filter.

My entire mowing season isn't but maybe 60 to 70 hours so I'll be changing oil and filter long before 100 hours.

And, I'll be using strong magnets on my oil filters to help remove microscopic debris from the engine.

For the record, I always acknowledge when I am wrong, apologize and move on. I am not here to get into a pissing contest with anyone, only to learn and help.

The bottom line it this engine has been in service for about 10 years now and has a very good track record of being long lasting and performing very well. It'll last as long as I'm on the planet and I've got another 25 to 30 years to go if not longer.

txmowman

Threads
Please provide documentation as to where Kawasaki signed off on using Amsoil.

Please provide documentation as to where Kawasaki has recommended using 10W30 oil.

If your manual shows an 8 hr oil change, you received and old owners manual with your 2023 mower. The current manual can be found at www.kawasakienginesusa.com

You have the right and the choice to believe what you want on the quality or lack there of on aftermarket parts opposed to OEM. We can not agree and still be friends.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1709749695238.png
And from very indicated Owner manual you send the OP to download.
1709749811833.png

Personally in my area I use SAE15W50-SYN (Kawasaki or Mobile One version) due to the Summer heat we are now getting every year. And the local JD dealer service department recommend using 20W50 Dino oil.