Personal SRX75

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hmmm Good to know about the clips, I was thinking they were snap rings.

I just got in 6205-2RS-1 bearings I ordered. I was surprised how fast the PO office got them from Memphis,Tn PO this morning to my Lincoln County mailbox in a matter of an hour. Boy is their tracking screwed up. But at least it didn't three weeks like the last time.

1647300316312.png
The is only $171.16 in bearings only and it wont take long to use them up. I was out of all them except the Lm11949/10 which I was down to only 5 sets.

Boy am I covered up in work. The warm weather brought out equipment from storage over the Winter months. Now if it would just stop raining everytime I turn around. I got a rain free day today but rain is already on the radar for tonight, tomorrow and Wednesday. Oh time to put away the parts I just got and order some more commercial storage boxes.At least their size and shapes dont change like the ones that I started using from the Dollar Store back in 2009. Got to keep the mice at bay. Using milk crates for the bearings.

And now Bert don't you have many coffee cans full of all those spare screws? I went to work as a copier repair tech and the previous tech had dozens of cans full of screws he never bother to put back.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Hmmm Good to know about the clips, I was thinking they were snap rings.
Yep, I think even the JD parts list lists them as Snap Rings, here's what they look like. They are regular circlips, not spiral circlips like I stated earlier.

10 - SNAP RING​

Part Number
J2376M
1647309909586.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And now Bert don't you have many coffee cans full of all those spare screws? I went to work as a copier repair tech and the previous tech had dozens of cans full of screws he never bother to put back.
No
I have little cabinet draws full of B & S fasteners, another with Stihl ones etc etc
Usually found when I change the solvent in the parts washer or behind the parts washer which is outside the workshop
I got a 5 gallon bin full of this sort of stuff so I sat down with a thread gauge and lots of plastic peanut butter jars ( no glass in my workshop )
First sort by thread type & size , and remember we have BSW & BSF to deal with along with unified & metric
Most of those have stayed that way till I need a particular bolt so I will sort through the sorted by size jar and remove all of that bolt as I now know where it came from so it goes into the makers specific drawers .
Same story when I wreck stuff I will have 2 bins for say an MTD mower, one for the MTD bolts & another for the engine makers bolts .
I try do the same for springs & other stuff .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't you just like all the threads types. Seesh can't everyone just use the same system. I reckon they do it just to be pain and so they can sell more tools. Luckily I only normally deal with SAE and metric screws here and rarely a British screw size.

I just found this year that the Kawasaki engines are using an oil pressure unit that use 1/8 BSPT threads. Our normal pipe threads in the 1/8 size is 27 tpi and the British 1/8 is 28 tpi and slightly smaller.

And yes I have a couple drawers of reclaim fasteners myself. I usually get them as I part out mowers and other things.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Got the deck back on, I'm now not quite an expert on these older JD's... lol.....
She's definitely in need of a new belt, Part Number M112006
Wonder why the 1/2" discrepancy in lengths?
1647386513904.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would stick the OEM spec belt. The extra 1/2 would be a looser fit and would wear out a lot faster even if it works.

The M112006 specs>
1647388325060.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The 266 belt is supposed to be an exact replacement
The 248 belts are just wrapped kevlar belts in standard lengths
When the tension is applied via a spring there is some lattitude with the belt lengths
In most cases +/- a little works fine
As pulleys wear I often fit a smaller belt to compensate for the smaller effective pulley diameters .

Back when engineers were real engineers things like decks would be designed to take a standard common belt
All of the local Australian ride ones use plain polly belts in whole inch sizes .

Belt makers have plug in design application so you plug in the pulley size, torsional load & centres & the app spits out the belt length
Thus you get a 201 23/64" belt when in reality the 1 & 23/64" is total rubbish and only true when the deck pulleys are in line with the engine pulley .
Almost nothing I regularly work on has original size belts because I usually either fit a smaller one as above or an alernative belt that is substantially cheaper
When you get to ZTR belts which are all well over 100" +1" to -2" makes no difference , particularly if the tension spring is adjustable .
So for instance the deck belt on a Dixon Ram 60" is $ 278 .
Replace the eye bolt and you can fit a 2" shorter belt for $ 110 or a longer belt for $ 105
One customer changed to 7/8 standard belts on his which are $ 40 each
They last 3 to 4 years against the kevlar belts which are good for 3 to 5 years but at that price he does not care if they need replacing every year
They do wear the pulleys more though .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have differ on that Bert. I had a JD 737 the needed a new mule belt. I got in what was supposedly the right length belt in an after market belt. I could not it on. I measured it and it was nearly 3/4 shorter than the JD belt. I went and got the JD belt which measure as spec'd and it barely went on.

Plus on especially MTD CVT systems you better have the OEM belt as the after markets belts just don't work.

I finally had to get a belt measurer that can handle up to 200" belts as so many of the after markets are either too short or too long. I had so much trouble with A&I belts coming in 1-2" short I just gave up on them. They are very good belts but I can't fit them properly they are of no use. I actually got rid of a $1000 of them from my inventory because of this. I had regional sales rep to come out last and ask me why I quit buying the belts and I explained to him the problems. When a small shop like stops buying a $2000 in belts each year it does get their attention; although, they still haven't resolved the problem as he said no other shop is complaining about the belts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are some cases where the OEM or OEM Spec belt is essential but that is not the norm .
It is a bit different over there where you don't get stung $ 200 for a hydro belt for one model then find one 1/2" shorter for $ 75 .
It took a long time for me to come to grips with mower belts but now i have it has made a big difference to my bottom line & my customers running costs .