Personal SRX75

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Put a new starter on my SRX75 today. A new solenoid as well. https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...5-rx75-srx75-sx75-130-lawn-mower-snd0006.html
I used a DB electrical starter, and this is the first time i've had to modify one of their starters to fit. It appears the mounting holes in the starter weren't drilled straight, it'd go about half way, or a little less, on and stop.... tried the old original Denso starter, and it slid right on and off.
After making sure there were no other physical obstructions, if you looked straight down at the starter, you could tell the stud hole was angling right, while the stud (Which is straight) appeared to angle to the left,.. i knew it had to be a manufacturing defect, of some sort. Any way, i resolved the issue by using a 23/64 drill bit to drill out one mounting hole and then it slid right on. Snug with very little slop. Bolted it down, then when putting the starter solenoid back on, i somehow managed to pinch the webbing between my thumb and pointer finger with my U-Joint socket adapter.... no clue how i did it, but it hurt for a few seconds. And SOMEHOW when i was mounting the starter, i managed to crimp the batt + wire ring connector for the starter and broke it, luckily i was able to put a new end on without losing any length, got it heatshrinked and taped up.
Anyway, it cranked right up, and now i get on to replacing the spindle bearings..

bkeller500

Threads
Sounds like a fun project ( especially when you get good results ) . It's funny how one thing always leads to another but over time you gather enough skills and wisdom to tackle those unexpected challenges. Good luck on those spindle bearings. Are you just replacing the upper and lower bearings or the whole spindle?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Sounds like a fun project ( especially when you get good results ) . It's funny how one thing always leads to another but over time you gather enough skills and wisdom to tackle those unexpected challenges. Good luck on those spindle bearings. Are you just replacing the upper and lower bearings or the whole spindle?
Upper and Lower

bkeller500

Threads
Upper and Lower
I read on these forums that you need to use a name brand bearing ( not Chinese if you can help it ) and that if you purchase a sealed bearing you can remove the seals so the bearings can be lubricated as you add grease to the spindles thru the grease Zerks ongoing. Am I correct?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I purchased 2 PGN bearings... I usually remove the seals and pack with high temp Wheel bearing grease

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
anyone know the number of the Spindle bearings, apparently 62042RS aren't them... i don't feel like waiting a week for the JD dealership to get them, but i may have to.
Part Number
JD9296

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
JD9296 > Z9504RST
1647198403533.png

Height 19/32"/ 15.494mm
Inside Diameter 3/4"/ 19.05mm
Outside Diameter 1-25/32"/ 45.225mm

You could buy some from Carnell for 3.99 ea as they fit the follow:
APPLICATION:
Allis-Chalmers #536986
Ariens #54120
Bolens #1185828
John Deere #JD9296
Rotary #09-484
Simplicity #108202
Snapper 13313
Yazoo #204-060
Lilliston: 20-50-094
Swapper: 10696
IHC: 465003R91

I usually buy them in lots of 10 or 25 depends how they are flying off the shelf. I current have 14 of them in inventory.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thanks to star, i got the correct bearings in today... then put them in the freezer for a little while and they pushed right in, of course i start putting the shaft in and then forget, the bottom bearing is sandwiched by 2 spiral circlips so i forgot to put the last clip in, can't do that with the shaft in... well.. you could but, it risks bloodying the knuckles and gouging the fingers pretty badly.
That's my biggest problem, i always get about 2 steps ahead of myself.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Regularly have to assemble engines that I did not pull apart .
Simple solution is to lay out the parts in reverse order before you start
That way it becomes obvious what tools will be needed and you don't end up forgetting the internal bits like locating rings or spacers
Or in my case get 1/2 way through & realize you have lost some of the fasteners .