No spark at plug

TobyU

Threads
It's been a while since I've looked at a cv Kohler.
I haven't seen many with the DSAM system etc.
I don't see the big deal with them it the train they even did it.
I know some kits come with flywheel so I guess some are different but why can't you use the standard coil that doesn't have or need the SAM?
Why is the conversion more complicated with 3 wires etc instead of just a coil and kill switch wire terminal on it?
The whole situation it is convoluted and stupid.
All you need is a coil and a magnet on the flywheel.
Why overcomplicate things??

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It's been a while since I've looked at a cv Kohler.
I haven't seen many with the DSAM system etc.
I don't see the big deal with them it the train they even did it.
I know some kits come with flywheel so I guess some are different but why can't you use the standard coil that doesn't have or need the SAM?
Why is the conversion more complicated with 3 wires etc instead of just a coil and kill switch wire terminal on it?
The whole situation it is convoluted and stupid.
All you need is a coil and a magnet on the flywheel.
Why overcomplicate things??
Good points. A lot of the issues stem from the progression of the ignition systems over the years. From the ASAM to the DSAM to the DSAI to finally MDI. The ASAM uses a different flywheel then the DSAM which is different that the fixed timing ignition. Basically they have a different key position to account for the different timing systems. I have done 1 DSAM to DSAI on a Command Twin a few years back but most of the conversions I have done have been on the Courage twin SV series from DSAM to MDI.

The entire fixed to spark advance timing comes from being able to use the same engine block and get more HP's by playing with the timing. And I am sure there other companies are using spark advance systems and not telling anybody that their engine uses spark advance. Stihl, Husqvarna, and Makita are three that come to mind off the top of my head. Briggs has gone from an induction ignition system to a capacitive discharge ignition. That is why the new ignition modules look so much different than the ones we are use to seeing. Are they spark advance, who knows.

stonum

Threads
Now that the DSAI ignition system revived my old mower, I actually cleaned the old mower up a bit. mower 2.jpg