No spark at plug

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
From Stens Dealer website. Too bad you not Stens dealer they got a great sale price on it current as they are clearing the inventory out. Otherwise your are better buying from a Kohler dealer and not pay Stens their markup when it not on sale.

1714254779102.png

stonum

Threads
I ordered the $163 Kohler DSAI from amazon. It's not an amazon prime product, so it may take a week to get here, but it is returnable within 30 days if it doesn't fix it. If this doesn't do it, I might give up or I guess I could search to see if the relays are still available somewhere. I know I talked about buying the Murray MT100 42 in. 13.5 HP 500cc E1350 from home depot, but I see out of 600 something customer reviews, over 100 reviews aren't good.😵‍💫

Last edited:

Etbrown44

Threads
I hope through all this you tried a new plug. Best to test around dusk so you can see it best.

TurbineJon

Forum Newbie
Threads
My riding lawn mower is an older Craftsman, model 917.271131. Motor is a Kohler model CV16S. It's always run good till recently. The starter turns the motor, but there is no spark at the plug. (I held the plug against the block and turned the starter to look for a spark). I've looked and looked for any loose electrical connections. Tried new plug and new coil with no luck. Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks
Test the solanoid. check there is power and feel or listed for the click

stonum

Threads
Searching for the Kohler part number brought this site up, but I'm suspicious of 250 in stock.
That is the lowest price I've seen for sure, but I already ordered the $163 Kohler DSAI from amazon. It's taking forever to get here. Tracking says it will arrive by Monday, May 6. I'll post the result of installing the DSAI on this forum.

mcHarley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Safety switches will not let your starter engage so not a safety switch issue , clean the magnets good on the flywheel and the coil where it relates to the flywheel magnets. There is a ground wire at the coil you can pull off and see if it sparks then , if it does it's not the coil
That is correct, but do not forget to disassemble the magnet coil and make it rust-free because rust will not give you a good grounding and result in no spark. When mounting the magnetic coil, the adjustment gap is equal to the thickness of a business card. Good luck. Harry

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is correct, but do not forget to disassemble the magnet coil and make it rust-free because rust will not give you a good grounding and result in no spark. When mounting the magnetic coil, the adjustment gap is equal to the thickness of a business card. Good luck. Harry
The DSAI system is a fixed position module so no air gap to set. And the DSAM system required 12 volts at the module to operate, but can unpin the ground wire from the module and test.

stonum

Threads
I would be very suspicious if that is an actual OEM part are a chinese knockoff posing as an OEM part
Yep, I appreciate mankii's post about the DSAI unit available at "totalwireframe.com" for a cheap $66, but something seems fishy about that website. Even mankii pointed out that "totalwireframe.com" claims to have 250 units available. It just seems kinda crazy that they would have 250 units available.