New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

atp1313

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !
Greenworks 20" twin blade got wet

We had 4" of rain 2 days ago and my mower "may" have gotten wet from rising water in the yard (it was up to my calves before I could drain the yard). It is at the very least damp from the extra humidity, and won't start. Is there a set time frame to let it dry out? Anything I can do to accelerate the drying time? Is it ruined? How bad can this be?

MowerMike

Threads
Re: Greenworks 20" twin blade got wet

We had 4" of rain 2 days ago and my mower "may" have gotten wet from rising water in the yard (it was up to my calves before I could drain the yard). It is at the very least damp from the extra humidity, and won't start. Is there a set time frame to let it dry out? Anything I can do to accelerate the drying time? Is it ruined? How bad can this be?

Are you telling us that you left the mower outside in the rain ? :eek:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads

If you could get to the electronics and spray everything out with alcohol, that might help. Some folks have had issues with fairly new mowers where they had to use their thumb to pull the cable that runs from the 'bail' - handle, sideways (after pressing the button and pulling the bail down) to increase the distance of pull to engage the switch. Might be worth a try.

Was there any sound of the motors trying to spin? Just wondering if a film of rust might be adding xtra drag on the shafts and the electronics is 'folding back' or otherwise shutting the power off when it detects the xtra load. maybe remove the battery and the key, flip it over, see if the blades can be turned. If they seem to need 'busting loose' then do that, replace the key and try to start.

Dirty water on electrical stuff is not good, but a very clean water flush followed by some alcohol or other flush might get you some more service before it takes a dirt nap.

atp1313

Forum Newbie
Threads

Are you telling us that you left the mower outside in the rain ? :eek:

No, I had the mower in my shed, which is 2" off the ground, but we had massive rain. I meant to say earlier, it was 4" in a half hour. We had probably about 6" for the day. But it was a real frog choker.

EDIT: If rain made it into the shed, I don't think it would have been deep enough to get UP into the electronics. But it was certainly WET/DAMP

atp1313

Forum Newbie
Threads

If you could get to the electronics and spray everything out with alcohol, that might help. Some folks have had issues with fairly new mowers where they had to use their thumb to pull the cable that runs from the 'bail' - handle, sideways (after pressing the button and pulling the bail down) to increase the distance of pull to engage the switch. Might be worth a try.

Was there any sound of the motors trying to spin? Just wondering if a film of rust might be adding xtra drag on the shafts and the electronics is 'folding back' or otherwise shutting the power off when it detects the xtra load. maybe remove the battery and the key, flip it over, see if the blades can be turned. If they seem to need 'busting loose' then do that, replace the key and try to start.

Dirty water on electrical stuff is not good, but a very clean water flush followed by some alcohol or other flush might get you some more service before it takes a dirt nap.

Blades turn freely. No sounds associated with starting. Just a click/thunk as the start handle is pulled down. So it seems the tension is where it should be. But I will try the pulling/moving of the cable.

I don't have any alcohol to spray on it, so I will need to go buy some. Any recommendations for what kind/brand to buy and where? Lowes? Specialty store?

1 Lucky Texan

Threads

Blades turn freely. No sounds associated with starting. Just a click/thunk as the start handle is pulled down. So it seems the tension is where it should be. But I will try the pulling/moving of the cable.

I don't have any alcohol to spray on it, so I will need to go buy some. Any recommendations for what kind/brand to buy and where? Lowes? Specialty store?

I wouldn't buy anything yet. Try the trick with tightening the cable after pulling the bail first. And carefully remove/re-seat the red safety key too. I wouldn't begin to know how to tell you to try cleaning/drying any electronics without disassembling the mower first. Even then, we may discover that any PCBs have been conformally coated anyway and can't get wet. (certainly possible some connectors and wiring could get wet.) I'm betting the start failure is more of a coincidence since it seems like mower wasn't submerged.

There are several reports in the review/comments section at Lowes for the mower, of the no-start issue. And I THINK at Amazon a 19" or 16" inch GW mower also has reports of failing the same way. One of those submitters has had success disassembling the mower and bending a bracket to increase the 'throw' of the cable. read this reviewer's comments for the 19" mower - maybe your mower has a similar problem; http://www.amazon.com/review/RGX27HN7PSHJ0/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1

MowerMike

Threads
Over 20,000 views !!!

This epic thread has reached another milestone.

yeeeeeehaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
just reporting that the mower is generally doing well. I had a somewhat overgrown backyard that I mowed recently and the mower did OK. It does leave tall, uncut stragglers - perhaps one or 2 more than my old gas mower, but they seem random - not 'mohawked' or mashed down by the wheels. Other than stragglers though, the cut is flat and even. I did sharpen the blades with a file and they seem to keep their edge well so, I may only do that a coupla times during the cutting season. I've never experienced a failure to start and I seem to get the same amount of power from the batteries I have across the 4 G-max tools I own. I 'try' not to recharge a battery unless is is dead or only the last green light is on (supposedly, 1 light means 10% charge remaining) - as, from what I've read, it is the number of charge cycles that is rough on battery lifespan.

rijola

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nearly impossible to find this mower in an actual Lowes store anywhere in the Upper Midwest in mid-August! Finally ordered on Lowes.com and, after a week's delay, got one sent. $375 after online Lowe's coupon I found. Set it up when it arrived yesterday (well, after I charged up both batteries first) and took it right to the tall 6" grass in our ditch. (It was the only thing growing much this month in our parts.) OK, it didn't match our 21-year-old Toro recycler for speed and power but, with the setting on the highest level, it did take care of business at a somewhat slower rate than we're used to. The 30 pounds LESS weight we pushed/pulled/turned made mowing the ditches a LOT easier on the muscles and joints. My wife's grin pretty much told it all. Yes, she does most of the mowing. I do all the fixing ... like replacing the gas tank on the old Toro with a new one that arrived the day before the Greenworks mower. Since nothing else was growing much we dropped the level down to where we're used to, remowed the ditches and all looks good. You can actually TALK(!) to each other while mowing when this is humming along. Gone are the shouting episodes or just plain shutting down the Toro to talk to the operator. We DON'T have a manicured, golf course sterile, biological desert lawn without weeds. We LIKE wildlife and diversity so we have lots of GREEN things growing in our lawn that are NOT grass species. (It's why our lawn is green and others' are brown right now, unless they pour liquid $$ out their hoses onto the grass every few days.) I did mow one small strip of the yard that is pretty much just grass, about 5" long (remember our Toro was out of commission) due to the neighbor's overspray from water and fertilizer. This thicker grass did manage to get balled up under the Greenworks set at our regular trim level but would not have looked a whole lot better with our Toro since the grass was that long and dense. Another pass or two and the clumps were chopped up. BOTTOM LINE IN TERMS OF PERFORMANCE -- we think that not having to buy gas, fill and refill the tank, store gas, treat the gas over winter, change oil, change plugs, change air filters, take up a bigger footprint in the garage, having to lean UNDER the bottom to clean it (so gas/oil doesn't leak out when tipped on side) are all factors that overrule the negative aspect of having to move a bit slower in the taller grass with the Greenworks mower. I wish we'd have gotten it earlier in the season to be able to give a more valid review but we will post here with any and all irritating flaws if/when we come across any. I should note that we did not use the grass catcher in our trials and really don't plan to in the future. (Why take the nutrients OFF the lawn?)

IN TERMS OF CONSTRUCTION, I'd agree with some other reviewers that the connection points with the handle to the mower could be problematic in the long run. I'm hoping the lighter weight of the overall mower will not stress those joints as much as I've seen in other mowers we owned or used in the past. I'm pleased with the detailed diagrams and list of ALL parts in the user manual but am concerned with others' reports of problems getting Greenworks parts and dealing with their customer service. It's convenient that the two-piece handle will collapse and you can tip the compressed unit 90[SUP]o[/SUP] so that it can be stored vertically with only the back wheels on the floor (front wheels skyward). You'll have to create some way for it to STAY that way because, unlike other electrics I've seen, it doesn't automatically do so on its own. I'm concerned about the handle connections because we expect to do this every time we use the mower and will have to loosen and tighten all 4 connectors each time we do this. There are no tools needed for this but I wonder how long the threads will withstand this repeated usage. If we ever decide to really get RID of our Toro, we won't need to store the Greenworks in this small of a space, but I can't see getting rid of that oldie until it really dies.

REGARDING THE BATTERIES, we noted that after 20 minutes of mowing those ditches we were able to get 2 out of 4 lights to light up on the larger battery's indicator. I would crudely figure that put the usage at 50% of this new battery mowing tall grass and weeds. We haven't had the need to use the lower capacity battery yet. After reading way more than enough at Battery University about lithiums, I'll withhold judgement as to what that even means but will post ASAP if we experience any disappointing results. I do plan on buying another large capacity battery as our lawn is about 1/3 acre and we don't want to have to do it in two sessions. (First we'll see if we can get the whole thing done in one shot with the 2 batteries that come with the unit when the grass is normal length.)

Stay tuned for more details (if we ever get rain). I'll also post on our experience mulching up leaves when they start getting thick and heavy in the coming months. I would venture to say that we will likely never attempt to mow/mulch in conditions as wet as we have in the past with our Toro. Though these occasions were rare, I just don't think the design of the Greenworks would be suited for those situations.

Mow on!:rolleyes: