Need suggestion for quick repair of steering linkage- MTD 14.5 HP, 42" cut

Nasty135

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need suggestion for quick repair of steering linkage- MTD 14.5 HP, 42" cut
Here's what will work till you feel like changing it. Take the ball and socket off tractor, mount socket shaft in vise insert ball then take a punch and tap near edge of hole on shaft to drive edge of taper tighter against the ball ...about six or eight spots close to the edge will hold it there for quite awhile when you satisfied with the fit add a little oil to lube it up ...:thumbsup:

AcadGrad81

Threads
Here's what will work till you feel like changing it. Take the ball and socket off tractor, mount socket shaft in vise insert ball then take a punch and tap near edge of hole on shaft to drive edge of taper tighter against the ball ...about six or eight spots close to the edge will hold it there for quite awhile when you satisfied with the fit add a little oil to lube it up ...:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip, mate.

After calling a lot of local shops yesterday morning, I found the ball and socket assembly in stock for about $6.00 ea. (mfr. offshore) so I bought two. I figured if I'm going to disassemble the drag link ends to try a temporary repair, I might as well fix it with the intended parts. The one remaining serviceable end will be kept as a spare.

lizard

Threads
Good to see you replace it........temporary repairs could endanger your life.........not worth it........be carefull...........better to be safe!:thumbdown:

Daniel aaron

Forum Newbie
Threads
How much does it cost to fix { Tie rod ends }plus Steering linkage on a John Deere LX277

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it's that difficult to get to, you may just have to "bite the bullet" and make the repairs. Not sure, but, You may have to disassemble the cowling to get to it. If you're going to get that far into it, you may as well take the broken fitting (probably called a drag-link socket) to your local hardware store and try to match it up to a new one. The biggest problem I can see is not being able to mow in the mean time but that might be better that having to stop frequently to temporarily put things back together.
Rich

I agree here you some times have to bit the bullet and make the right repairs. As far as cost go's maybe you can find a used one on E-bay or if you can find a mower salvage yard.