My ignition starts when I switch to on.

rogerg49

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 36 inch Hustler Fastrak Z with a Kohler engine. When I switch to on it starts cranking, when I switch to start, it starts, but when I release the key to run, it dies. I have replace the starter, the switch, the relays, the solenoid. Any help. I think I may have rewired something wrong.

Mikel1

Threads
What switch and relays have you replaced?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 36 inch Hustler Fastrak Z with a Kohler engine. When I switch to on it starts cranking, when I switch to start, it starts, but when I release the key to run, it dies. I have replace the starter, the switch, the relays, the solenoid. Any help. I think I may have rewired something wrong.

Here is a link to some manuals with electrical schematics

Manuals

I didn't know your model number, so I just looked at one....
I saw red/blk wire on the "S" terminal of the ignition switch
I saw orange on the "R" terminal

you said "I think I may have rewired something wrong" when was that? Were you having some kind of problem before that cost you to change out all of those items? Or is this a problem that happened after changing those items? In other words could the ignition switch have been changed first, you tried it and had problems so then you replaced some other items?

rogerg49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is a link to some manuals with electrical schematics

Manuals

I didn't know your model number, so I just looked at one....
I saw red/blk wire on the "S" terminal of the ignition switch
I saw orange on the "R" terminal

you said "I think I may have rewired something wrong" when was that? Were you having some kind of problem before that cost you to change out all of those items? Or is this a problem that happened after changing those items? In other words could the ignition switch have been changed first, you tried it and had problems so then you replaced some other items?

I was having to hot wire across the solenoid to start the mower. I replaced both relays, the kill and the start, I replaced the solenoid, the starter, and the ignition switch. I worked on it today and I have it back to the point where I can hot wire it and get it running. It's just an inconvenience. Both the old and new ignition switch do exactly the same. I have the manual and I can't find anything wrong on the schematic except I have a red and purple wire that are clipped together and there is no purple wire on the schematic. It came that way though.

Mikel1

Threads
Are you looking at the Kohler engine? I see red wire(the fuse wire) going into a purple wire.

Last edited:

rogerg49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you looking at the Kohler engine? I ask because I see 3 relays, kill relay, start relay and a starter relay. Also see red wire(the fuse wire) going into a purple wire.

I see the purple wire coming from the engine to the red wire and attaching to the solenoid. What they are calling the starter relay is actually the solenoid.

Mikel1

Threads
I see the purple wire coming from the engine to the red wire and attaching to the solenoid. What they are calling the starter relay is actually the solenoid.

Yeah I noticed it when I relooked at the diagram with the battery there, edited it out(above).
So was the wiring hooked up right?