Murray select 405000x8c

SF1

Threads
Hello everyone, I've gotten into a little problem with my Murray 405000x8c. I was cutting the grass as usual and I hit a tree root that was under the grass. So, to make a long story short, it jerked everything really good, bent the mower deck, loosened a belt and more. After I had fixed those problems it started up, but when I put it into gear it wouldn't move. I'm figuring it's a spring that fell off, but when I look in the manual I'm not really sure what I need and can't pinpoint it. I have two riding mowers right now with issues... Any help would be great. Thank you !

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Murray/Scotts 405000X8C

Might have thrown the drive belt off the engagement idler pulley or the transaxle pulley. It happens with worn belts and sudden stops.

SF1

Threads
Murray/Scotts 405000X8C

Might have thrown the drive belt off the engagement idler pulley or the transaxle pulley. It happens with worn belts and sudden stops.
Well when I looked, all of the
Murray/Scotts 405000X8C

Belts seemed to be ok, the belt under where the battery goes came off, and I put it back. How can I tell for sure about the things you've mentioned. Thanks !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the deck off, et under the mower and grab the transmission belt
If al is connected properly if you push & pull the belt ( on each side ) you should be able to turn the engine over

SF1

Threads
Hey guys, I've finally got to the tranny belt and things went a lot smoother than I expected, except for just one thing. I put everything back the same way, or at least I thought I did, but when step on the brake to start the mower, it is extremely tight and the brake won't go down enough for me to start up the engine. I mean I can't understand what I did wrong. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should do. Thank you !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check the belt length old to new ?
Other than that the belt routing is probably wrong
Very easy to do this because it is not quite as obvious as it looks

SF1

Threads
Did you check the belt length old to new ?
Other than that the belt routing is probably wrong
Very easy to do this because it is not quite as obvious as it looks
Hi , yes the belt length is the same. I bought the original Murray 37x87 I'm not seeing how I routed the belt wrong though...

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is pretty straightforward. Get on the ground and watch, while someone moves the pedal.
mubelt.JPG

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is possible the OP put the belt on the wrong side of the idler pulley and now instead loosening the belt as he/she clutches they tighten it.