Mantis tiller won’t stay running

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like the impulse port is clogged or blocked.

mrfixitman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Son borrowed my Mantis tiller and complained that it will only run less than a minute then die. It has been completely rebuilt with new carb, fuel lines and filter, fuel bulb and spark plug. He said it appears to die once the gas in the bulb has been used up. He checked the kill switch and found no problem, saying it’s definitely a fuel supply issue.

Any ideas?

Model 7225-00-02 10743117
Serial 09209281
Kioritz 2 cycle engine SV-5C/2
Check the fuel cap, needs to breathe and if you can’t suck from the thread side it’s blocked and the engine can’t overcome the suction caused by it not venting.

Ranchito

Threads
I had the same problem with my Mantis. The tank vent was not working and the fuel would only flow if the fuel cap was loose. Try looking at the vent fitting.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As far as I know this engine's fuel cap is not vented or at least the IPL of the SV-5C/2 shows the Echo style fuel tank venting system which item 11 is the vent assembly.
1648122868076.png

Ranchito

Threads
OP is MIA
As too often happens. Sure is helpful to future followers of a thread to find out what solved the problem and it only takes a minute to extend that courtesy.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What is Courtesy? My doctor office had none so now he is now "Fired" and I am looking for a new doctor that might care.

Ranchito

Threads
Star, Yes, sadly, courtesy is a rare commodity in today's world. People of my (our?) generation are appalled at the change for the worse that is happening before our eyes. And don't get me started on doctors who no longer practice medicine, but instead blindly follow the marching orders of the AMA and various trade publications. Sorry for going so far off topic.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I am guilty of dragging us off topic. Doctors have never got it right yet as they just keep practicing at being a doctor instead being a full time doctor.

Now back to those little vent modules. I had a batch of aftermarket ones several years ago to swell so the internal duck bill valve inside couldn't operate. I ended up having to change vendors to get problem resolved. At one time it was strange to me that things happen in batches but no longer. It getting a NOS string trimmer where the fuel lines have complete disintegrated before fuel has ever been in the tank yet there people that would blame that on ethanol fuel. And I had the Tygon LP-1100 fuel lines to have the internal liner to collapse and block fuel flow. I even regular 1/4 rubber type fuel to have an internal collapse. I have seen it at three times lately.