Mantis tiller won’t stay running

Tdj2591

Threads
Son borrowed my Mantis tiller and complained that it will only run less than a minute then die. It has been completely rebuilt with new carb, fuel lines and filter, fuel bulb and spark plug. He said it appears to die once the gas in the bulb has been used up. He checked the kill switch and found no problem, saying it’s definitely a fuel supply issue.

Any ideas?

Model 7225-00-02 10743117
Serial 09209281
Kioritz 2 cycle engine SV-5C/2

Last edited:

dougand3

Threads
Model # will help. This is a 2 cycle cube carb? It's new, but has it been adjusted? May be too lean.

Tdj2591

Threads
Model 7225-00-02 10743117
Serial 09209281
Kioritz 2 cycle engine SV-5C/2

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
those carbs are cheaper new than to rebuild. The ethanol in the gas kills them in about a year. I've managed to extend that by draining the tank and running dry each time it is used. Were it me I'd buy a new carb and put on it. Also the ethanol attacks the hoses in the tank so one of them may be fallen off. The symptoms match that the diaphragm is not sealing that works as a fuel pump under the carb.

OldDiyer

Threads
Sorry that some people just don't read the posters Posting !!!! If the carb,fuel lijnes, and filter are new sounds like it may be just an adjustment issue. It takes very little turning to adjust these small carbs but maybe you should check there first if it uses HI and Low needles check both adjustments. Don't jump off the deep end until you go thru the basics.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry that some people just don't read the posters Posting !!!! If the carb,fuel lijnes, and filter are new sounds like it may be just an adjustment issue. It takes very little turning to adjust these small carbs but maybe you should check there first if it uses HI and Low needles check both adjustments. Don't jump off the deep end until you go thru the basics.
I read that but also saw the word "rebuilt." The symptoms are those of fuel starvation. If the parts are "new"like this week and not rebuilt then I would suspect a problem with how installed, or a defective new part. If he wants to bring it here I will be glad to look at it. Those Zama carbs don't last very long. I've replaced them, run a mantis once or twice really well, put it aside for six months, dry, added new fuel and they run exactly like his problem A new carb solves it each time because the diaphragms that provide fuel pressure warp. I used to keep a spare one around because the problem is so common.

OldDiyer

Threads
Please read it again he stated that the unit was rebuilt with new parts. !!!! It has been completely rebuilt with new carb, fuel lines and filter, fuel bulb and spark plug.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Please read it again he stated that the unit was rebuilt with new parts. !!!! It has been completely rebuilt with new carb, fuel lines and filter, fuel bulb and spark plug.
why the heck are you shouting? Do you have earwax in your ears? It is a fuel problem. I doubt if the mixture screw is going to solve this. Those ZAMA carbs go bad very fast. Making matters worse, there are plenty of people these days that buy one, swap it and then send the old one back as a return. People brag about it all the time here and on other forums.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From the top
1) where did you get the parts from ?
usually the "full rebuild kits" seen on Amazon & evilpay are total trash
Many of the carbs are QC rejects and most of the fuel lines are not suitable for fuel .
2) you say the primer bulb starts out full then slowly empties and the tiller stops.
That suggests a fuel supply problem
Bad pump
Bad tank vent
broken fuel line
collapsed fuel line

Gord Baker

Threads
Try it with the Fuel Tank Cap loosened. If it still won't run past 30 sec, Blow fuel line back into tank with cap loose from carb. Replace Filter if there is one. New ones can be plugged.