Losing Power - Valve Seat?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
hopefully you will be back in business....

nplsdvr

Threads
First, the battery was dead and it could barely turn over. Put it on a fast charge for about 10 min and it fired right up.

I spilled a bit of oil on the muffler, so that's burning off, but it didn't belch smoke like it was. As soon as I get the tire pumped up I'll be able to give it a proper shake down cruise. So far, so good.

Thanks Fish!

Nic

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, new rings is rarely the cure. Hope it works good for you.

nplsdvr

Threads
Yeah, new rings is rarely the cure. Hope it works good for you.

Unfortunately, the head gasket is not it. I finally got the tire back on, fired it up, and within minutes it started belching smoke again. Lack of power, I engaged the blades and the motor almost quit (like the governor didn't kick in fast enough)...back to the drawing board.

So, what would be next?

In the gasket set I bought, there is a valve stem guide/seal for the intake valve. I'm wondering if the valve stem or the piston rings are the next step (or something else)?

Ideas? Suggestions? (Is there a troubleshooting flow chart I could follow?)

Thanks,

Nic

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unfortunately, the head gasket is not it. I finally got the tire back on, fired it up, and within minutes it started belching smoke again. Lack of power, I engaged the blades and the motor almost quit (like the governor didn't kick in fast enough)...back to the drawing board.

So, what would be next?

In the gasket set I bought, there is a valve stem guide/seal for the intake valve. I'm wondering if the valve stem or the piston rings are the next step (or something else)?

Ideas? Suggestions? (Is there a troubleshooting flow chart I could follow?)

Thanks,

Nic

Well, the crankcase breather could be plugged, or it may be the valve seal.

Have you made sure that there is no fuel leaking into your oil, causing an overfull condition?

Are you running this with the old oil clogged air filter, if so, it would create great suction and pull oil into the intake.

Did your engine have those little caps on the end of the valves?

nplsdvr

Threads
Well, the crankcase breather could be plugged, or it may be the valve seal.

I'll check the breather.

Have you made sure that there is no fuel leaking into your oil, causing an overfull condition?

How exactly do you "check" that? I had a problem earlier and I replaced the needle in the carb, cleaned the carb and replaced a few gaskets. I was hoping there was nothing wrong with the carb.

Are you running this with the old oil clogged air filter, if so, it would create great suction and pull oil into the intake.

No, air filter is a little dirty, but it's definitely not clogged. Blow it off with some compressed air and it almost looks brand new.

Did your engine have those little caps on the end of the valves?

Which "little caps" are you talking about? I saw the valve keepers - is that what you mean?

I'll start by cleaning the breather - it is coated in grime. Trying to figure out why all that dirt/oil/grime is in that area, too.

Thanks,

Nic

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you see dirt sticking on something like that could mean that the gasket is leaky and dirt is adhering to the oil, so the gasket should be replaced,
and while off soak the breather in some solvent or fuel and make sure it is not clogged up.

According to your model/type numbers, the valves had caps on the valve tips which happen to fall out easily and fall down into the crankcase, it is between these caps and the rocker arms that you put your feeler gauges while adjusting valves. I'll see if I can scrounge up one for a pic.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
head briggs.gif

The cap is number 238.

As far as fuel in the oil, the oil will be real thin, smell like gas, etc..

nplsdvr

Threads
View attachment 17679

The cap is number 238.

As far as fuel in the oil, the oil will be real thin, smell like gas, etc..

O.k...yes, caps I got.

I think I may have solved the "belching smoke" problem. Pretty sure it was too much oil in the crankcase. I checked and rechecked the levels - and it kept coming up high. So I drained it off, and refilled to proper levels. Hasn't smoked since.

The dirt/oil mixture you're referring to is another story. That deserves some attention, so I'll be troubleshooting it next.

But for now, I'm back to mowing without fogging the entire neighborhood.

Thanks, Fish.

Nic

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
O.k...yes, caps I got.

I think I may have solved the "belching smoke" problem. Pretty sure it was too much oil in the crankcase. I checked and rechecked the levels - and it kept coming up high. So I drained it off, and refilled to proper levels. Hasn't smoked since.

The dirt/oil mixture you're referring to is another story. That deserves some attention, so I'll be troubleshooting it next.

But for now, I'm back to mowing without fogging the entire neighborhood.

Thanks, Fish.

Nic

These newer engine's carbs are notorious for leaking a bit while parked, so buying an inline fuel cutoff would be a good investment.