Losing Power - Valve Seat?

nplsdvr

Threads
I'm mowing last week and have these little dips in my lawn. The mower is having a hard time crawling up the slope, when it used to have no problems at all. Then it starts spewing white smoke out of the muffler.

I pull it into the shop and check the valve adjustment (which has been a chronic problem) - I make a small adjustment, starts right up, but more smoke.

One thing I did notice while adjusting the valves - when the valves were both closed (on the compression stroke), while I hand turn the motor to TDC, I can hear air escaping - I think from the exhaust valve.

Any suggestions how to troubleshoot this further? Then repair?

Thanks,

Nic

Hilllawnmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
May check the head gaskets...leak down test will show it quickly
Darren

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might be worn piston rings. How compression do you have when using a compression tester?

nplsdvr

Threads
I can do a compression test tomorrow - not sure what the compression should be, but I can at least report back.

Don't have what I need for a leak-down test.

Thanks for the ideas.

nplsdvr

Threads
Finally had a chance to do the compression test. It was exactly at 50.

Not sure what it's supposed to be - just checked all the manuals I have, nothing mentioned.

Thanks!

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not enough compression. Its supposed to be 100-120.

nplsdvr

Threads
Not enough compression. Its supposed to be 100-120.

Wow...I had no idea compression in a small engine was so high.

I removed the cylinder head: there seems to be a little wear/thinning right between the cylinder head and push rod chamber, but it's not broken.

Once I took the cylinder head off, the piston was down, and there was a little oil in the cylinder - I'm hoping it's because the mower is at a slight backward angle and not bad rings. My wife is going to get the gasket tomorrow, I'll button it up and we'll see what we get.

<fingers crossed>

Thank you,

Nic

nplsdvr

Threads
Well, it's not the head gasket.

I replaced the head gasket, did another compression test - still at 50.

I don't have the resources for a leak-down test.

If the #1 diagnosis is a head gasket, what's the #2 diagnosis?

Thanks,

Nic

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Compression readings are useless on these mowers, they have a compression release. Run it and see if the smoking has cleared up. If it has, keep mowing.

nplsdvr

Threads
Compression readings are useless on these mowers, they have a compression release. Run it and see if the smoking has cleared up. If it has, keep mowing.

Running out there now!!

<glimmer of hope>