Looks like oil in cylinder

Good n Dusty

Threads
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me with this problem. I have a Toro Wheelhorse 44" riding mower with a 500cc BS intec OHV engine. It started smoking last cutting time and when I tried to start it this cut It would not. I have checked the spark plug and initially the gap was filled with oil. I cleaned the plug good and ran the engine to clear the cylinder while I checked for spark. There was oil in the cylinder and even after replacing the plug with a new one it will still not start. I checked the compression with an ordinary compression tester and got 110lbs. This might not be the right way to test this engine but it does have compression. I also checked the gas line to the carb and have flow. With the oil I couldn't tell if gas was getting into the cylinder. I had cleaned the intake air filter as a spring tuneup and cleaned it again. So now I guess the oil in the cylinder is something that must be corrected. My question is where to look? Valve problem or broken oil ring? I would sure appreciate any help that would be offered to me in this thread and help in where to start to correct it. Thank you in advance.

Larry

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First thing to check is the oil level. is it at a proper level and not overfilled. While you have dipstick out smell it, does it smell like gas. If those two things check out ok then we could be looking at mechanical issues that will have to be discussed later.

Good n Dusty

Threads
Thanks guys for your replies. I have had trouble with gas getting into cylinder but have installed a fuel shut off in the line to the carb to stop this a couple of years ago. I have had no issues with the gas since then. Of course one has to remember to shut the valve after one stops the engine!! We have been good this cutting season to do this. As far as the oil level goes. It was full on the recent cut but is now down part way on the dipstick. The oil smells pretty normal as far as oil goes. Might have a slight gas smell. I have taken the carb off and will check inside and clean. Just wondering? If the electric fuel shut-off is not working properly does this effect the gas/air mix. I assume there is a float in the carb which should regulate the gas in the carb reservoir?

gregjo1948

Threads
Thanks guys for your replies. I have had trouble with gas getting into cylinder but have installed a fuel shut off in the line to the carb to stop this a couple of years ago. I have had no issues with the gas since then. Of course one has to remember to shut the valve after one stops the engine!! We have been good this cutting season to do this. As far as the oil level goes. It was full on the recent cut but is now down part way on the dipstick. The oil smells pretty normal as far as oil goes. Might have a slight gas smell. I have taken the carb off and will check inside and clean. Just wondering? If the electric fuel shut-off is not working properly does this effect the gas/air mix. I assume there is a float in the carb which should regulate the gas in the carb reservoir?

If you have an electric fuel solenoid, it shouldn't affect the mixture. If it is sticking part way open, you would starve for fuel and if it's not closing the gas flow isn't shut down when turning off the power. gregjo1948

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Putting a inline shut off valve does not fix it. It is just a Bandaid
Fix it right and replace the fuel solenoid if it is bad.

Good n Dusty

Threads
Putting a inline shut off valve does not fix it. It is just a Bandaid
Fix it right and replace the fuel solenoid if it is bad.
You are right. I guess I got scared off when I bought a new needle valve and seat from Toro!! $$ I will have to trouble shoot that thing and see what's up with it. Any ideas about the oil issue?
Thanks

gregjo1948

Threads
You are right. I guess I got scared off when I bought a new needle valve and seat from Toro!! $$ I will have to trouble shoot that thing and see what's up with it. Any ideas about the oil issue?
Thanks

Oil in the cylinder may be from bad valve seals. gregjo1948

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
80% of the time a oil change will take care of most oil problems.

I have found that Marvel mystery oil works very good. Change the oil and add some to the oil. If it is bad valve seals it will not fix it but will help.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are right. I guess I got scared off when I bought a new needle valve and seat from Toro!! $$ I will have to trouble shoot that thing and see what's up with it. Any ideas about the oil issue? Thanks

Parts are about half price on line.
There are some very good sellers on eBay.