Looking to buy a walk behind, need advise!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sdoner, show me anything where the quality has gone up. Your friend is right and wrong. Toro now makes a cheaper unit to compete with Mr. Big Box. It still has many quality units for the customer who wishes to pay a little more.

Rudager

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rudager, watch what you buy. The newer toro products are not the good quality as the older ones. I have a 20 year old toro weed wacker and have not have any problems with it. I rebuilt the carb 9 years ago and tune it up every year. My friend is a toro dealer and said that the quality has gone down in the past few years.

Isn't this true of all the mower manufacturers? It seems the everyone is getting engines from china these days. I took apart my old craftsman for shits and giggles and cast right on the engine(Tecumseh) are the words MADE IN AMERICA. Now I only see three main engine manufactures on walkbehinds, Briggs, kohler, or Honda. From what I'm hearing Briggs and kohler engines are made in china these days. It wouldn't surprise me if Honda is doing the same. The Honda name means little to me as I've been working with them for more than a year in the automotive industry. I got to tell you, if they handle small engine development like they do automotive engine development then I'll take a pass, not impressed at all. In my search so far, the toro is at the top of the list despite the made in china engine.

rimidalvr1966

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check in your area to see if anyone has any of last years model Toro with the B&S engine. This is an excellent unit if you can find them.

Are you talking about 2011 model? What about 2010 Toro 20332 with B&S? Any feedback?
Thank you.

vabear

Threads
I had, repeat had, a four year old TORO, self propelled walk behind, variable speed mower and in that four year the front wheel drive mechanism (transmission ) was replaced three times and twice on my dime. Last week she quit pulling once again and to the curb she went

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Individual wheel adjustment was on the top of my list. I rarely intend to change the height and the the weight of all four wheels on one latch my old mower was always dropping like an air bagged chevy when I hit a rut or bump. Can't speak to the new engine, but my Kohler is killer and the super recycler I bought came with a 5 year warranty and four free blades. They recalled it for a potential transmission problem, replaced some screws and extended my transmission warranty to 6 years.

Rudager

Forum Newbie
Threads
Individual wheel adjustment was on the top of my list. I rarely intend to change the height and the the weight of all four wheels on one latch my old mower was always dropping like an air bagged chevy when I hit a rut or bump. Can't speak to the new engine, but my Kohler is killer and the super recycler I bought came with a 5 year warranty and four free blades. They recalled it for a potential transmission problem, replaced some screws and extended my transmission warranty to 6 years.

IT looks like you have a similar model to what I'm looking at now (20384). I'm starting to rethink the single vs individual height adjusters. I only change it at the start and end of the season (set to high during the spring and summer and low on the last cut of the year). I'm leaning towards the Toro for sure.

Vabear, you must have a different model toro than what I'm looking at if it is FWD.

vabear

Threads
FWD and variable speed (when it runs)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rudager, I am getting very confused, maybe it is because of the number of different replies. Are you still mainly looking at a single lever height adjustably system? Are you looking at a Toro model 20384. If so you are looking at a rear wheel drive unit. That has the new toro engineered Chinese engine. Did a little more research on the engine and found out that it has a cast iron sleeve, ball bearings instead of cast/machine bushings on the crankshaft, and designed to run cooler. This is one of the top mowers in the Toro line and I would say that it should last 15 years plus in properly maintained. I must qualify that by saying that the new engine is just that, a new engine. It has a five year warranty to work out any bugs if they should appear.

Rudager

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rudager, I am getting very confused, maybe it is because of the number of different replies. Are you still mainly looking at a single lever height adjustably system? Are you looking at a Toro model 20384. If so you are looking at a rear wheel drive unit. That has the new toro engineered Chinese engine. Did a little more research on the engine and found out that it has a cast iron sleeve, ball bearings instead of cast/machine bushings on the crankshaft, and designed to run cooler. This is one of the top mowers in the Toro line and I would say that it should last 15 years plus in properly maintained. I must qualify that by saying that the new engine is just that, a new engine. It has a five year warranty to work out any bugs if they should appear.

Yep, the 20384 model is what I'm now leaning towards. I accept the individual adjusters and china engine since the mower seemed the best overall. Electric start is a requirement since the wife does cut the grass regularly and pull-starting is her biggest complaint. This model isn't cheap but then I think you ultimately get what you pay for. The other electric start mowers didn't compare as well, the John Deere js48 was closest to the toro but doesn't have the 5year warranty and weights 15lbs more. Plus the toro dealer is only a couple miles from my house. I'd rather support the local businessman over lowes which has the John Deere mower.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good choose. You won't be disappointed.