looking for a zero turn 3.27 acres

mikdugal1

Threads
I settle on my house this Friday, 3 days !!!. Well I'm going to need a lawn mowet. The property is 3.27 acres all open. There are 3 trees, 2 of which I will have to remove. The one tree is to close to the septic tank. The second being two close to the underground power lines... Idiot previous owners. Well I digress..

The yard is open vertually no grade, well a tiny one not enough to call it anything. I'm looking for a zzero turn mower and can't figure out what I want. I have been looking online at scag, husqvarna, cb cudet and a few others I cant remember. Is there a guide one would follow to choose. What size deck do I want, how many ponies, desiel or Reg gas..

I look forward to a good discussion.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I settle on my house this Friday, 3 days !!!. Well I'm going to need a lawn mowet. The property is 3.27 acres all open. There are 3 trees, 2 of which I will have to remove. The one tree is to close to the septic tank. The second being two close to the underground power lines... Idiot previous owners. Well I digress..

The yard is open vertually no grade, well a tiny one not enough to call it anything. I'm looking for a zzero turn mower and can't figure out what I want. I have been looking online at scag, husqvarna, cb cudet and a few others I cant remember. Is there a guide one would follow to choose. What size deck do I want, how many ponies, desiel or Reg gas..

What's the budget? We will happy to set you up with 14,000$ mower if you don't specify. If I could justify the cost I would get one of those Ventrac's.
I think a diesel is your best bet.

mikdugal1

Threads
Thats a very good question. I am not sure sorry I don't know what quality:price ratio is ha. Well I guess from 2000 to idk 4500 if fianancing is available it could change.. this will be my first lawn mower purchase so im not sure about prices

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Try this link, it may give you the information on the size of deck you want.
Choose the Right Deck Size

mikdugal1

Threads
I'm think about the Toro time cutter ss5000 74630 50" 22 ponies

robert

Threads
As a former zt owner I say forget about it-with the size property you have AND the lay of the land a good GT or compact will serve you alot better than a single purpose zippidy do dah. As far a diesel v gas-diesel is the only way to go for alot of reasons; its a greener fuel (alot greener than corn gas) the engine will last forever (longer than the Republic) and you will use probably less than half the fuel compared to a gasser.
With your property you will find alot of uses for all the neat implements you can put onto a good GT or cut......

GoToGuy

Threads
Several things to consider...
1. As Robert implied, what will you be doing?cutting only= zero turn, chores= GT or compact.
2. Look at the guage of the deck. "Welded' is quickly becoming a gimmick.
3. What is the durability rating of the engine. they all have cheap, low-hour versions today.
4. Same goes for drive systems, are they servicable or sealed units?

Remember, a $6,000 machine that lasts 15 years is a lot cheaper than a $2'500 one that lasts 4!

Black Bart

Threads
Unless you are retired and don't mind spending one day a week mowing the lawn buy a large ZTR.
I would get a used tractor for other chores.
I use a 180 JD for rolling and aerating.
You could pick up a good used tractor for $500.00

I would hate to mow a small lawn with a tractor and sure would not consider one for over 3 acres.

robert

Threads
BlackBart, put a monster 62/72" deck on a 7 series that makes about 9mph and I bet in the end its a draw between time against a zt, plus the tractor operator will be more relaxed-better hydrated-and you get to buy implements for the rest of your life-or better yet, you significant other gets to buy you neat stuff forever; think of how easy it would make the Holidays. :laughing:

Black Bart

Threads
BlackBart, put a monster 62/72" deck on a 7 series that makes about 9mph and I bet in the end its a draw between time against a zt, plus the tractor operator will be more relaxed-better hydrated-and you get to buy implements for the rest of your life-or better yet, you significant other gets to buy you neat stuff forever; think of how easy it would make the Holidays. :laughing:

Yes Robert I'm well aware of how you hate a ZTR I also think you are the only one on this forum that believes a ZTR is not faster.

You are also the only person I every heard of that could not master operating A ZTR without tearing up the turf.

As it was pointed out to you numerous times when you had one the problem was the operator not the mower