Looking for a problem free 42" Zero Turn Mower

SlopeMan2

Threads
My riding mower will not last the season, so I'm looking for a zero turn mower(ZTM). I had a Cub Cadet ZTM several years ago and now have a 0.75 acre lot. I have looked on YouTube for "Best ZTM for 2023" and there is nothing bad ever mentioned. I have narrowed my list of potential mowers to Bad Boy Rambler, Cub Cadet ZT1, and Ariens. The 42" desk is plenty for my 0.75 acre lot. Recently, I started to read that each has some bad history. For example, the Bad Boy has spindle problems, the Ariens has transmission problems, etc.
All this to say, what brands have the least amount of problems?
I sure like my Bad Boy with 1500 hours on it, and my Husqvarna with 500 on it, both with minimal issues. Good Luck

Born2Mow

Threads
No mower is better than its maintenance schedule.

Threads
My riding mower will not last the season, so I'm looking for a zero turn mower(ZTM). I had a Cub Cadet ZTM several years ago and now have a 0.75 acre lot. I have looked on YouTube for "Best ZTM for 2023" and there is nothing bad ever mentioned. I have narrowed my list of potential mowers to Bad Boy Rambler, Cub Cadet ZT1, and Ariens. The 42" desk is plenty for my 0.75 acre lot. Recently, I started to read that each has some bad history. For example, the Bad Boy has spindle problems, the Ariens has transmission problems, etc.
Have you looked at SCAG?

ljms

Threads
Try a Grasshopper they are built like a tank
I agree , they are built tough. I bought mine last year. It is a 42" cut, and has the electric lift on the deck for easier cleaning. At this point there are only two issues that I have. One, the deck being only 42" does not reach out past the width of the wheels at all. This makes for cutting next to ditches tricky, usually needing to run a weed whacker afterwards. I chose the 42" deck because my wife's landscaping has created a lot of narrow spots. I think I would have gotten a 48" if I was aware of that.
The second issue, The design of the belt drive on the deck requires that you cross any low or high spots carefully, if not the belts skid plate hangs up and leaves you spinning. To get around this there are spots in my mowing where I have to set the deck higher than the rest of the yard to be able to cut without high centering. Most times I have been able using the deck lift to raise the deck enough to clear, but I have had at times to get towed off of the high spot or towed out of the low spot.
All that being said, at my age and physical condition, the ability to electrically lift the deck to clean and maintain the blades makes it tolerable.
LaVern

kinard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a snapper with a 46" cut and 21.5 Kawasaki engine. No problems in 9 years--not even a belt change. Just grease the spindle bearings regularly. I don't think the 46" cut is made any longer, however. I would consider a Toro too.

Larry L

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would look at John Deere due to to parts availability. I agree about the longevity of a good ZTM is the maintenance schedule.
I have a Dixie Chopper and mow 2 to 5 acres weekly here on Lake fork. blade change every 2 years and have replaced the belts earlier this year for the 1st time. D Chopper is 9 going on 10 years old.
When it’s time I will replace with another DC or a JD.

Cajun power

Threads
bad boy zt elite.

exmark radius E

these are all 48 inch machines.

when you get down below 48 inches, none of the most dependable and "trouble free" (better phrase might be: superior built quality) make them below 48.

based on indirect experience (from friends in the trade), toro makes a pretty good machine that builds in the 42 inch range. I've heard good things about their engines...about the overall built quality...I could not have any info. I know the parts of toro engines are rather expensive.

one of the considerations at the very top of your priorities list is a top quality hydro drive. Most of the very inexpensive and "small format" machines use the base model hydro drives that are not serviceable (do not allow filter changes or fluid changes)...There seems to be a clear break point at the 48 inch deck size where you better hydro drives are available...which is why I point to the badboy and the exmark above.

I maintain a ferris 300S 42 inch for a family friend and the build quality is pretty good ...except for the weak front deck grass wheels with the light sacrificial metal axle bolts. Have replaced these twice before just putting more beefy axle bolts. Not the best engine, but reliable with regular maintenance (BS CXI). Not a huge fan of the mildly helpful deck suspension and shock absorbing spring 4 point system...But overall, its a 2017 model and so far with over 400 hours, it's still running well and cuts quite well.

BTBO

Threads
I have a Scag Liberty Z 48" w/Kawasaki FR651V. It has 115 hours of use, which isn't much. To this point, other than routine maintenance like changing oil and filters, greasing the 6 zerks yearly, and replacing the battery....I have not had any issues. The cut quality is superb. I decided on Scag after comparing with other mowers, with the warranty being a large reason.

Honest Abe

Threads
I mow 3 acres.

In the zero turn department I have 2 Cub Cadet RZT 50 zero turns, a White 50" zero turn (MTD rebrand) and a faded paint older Bad Boy 48" zero turn. The Cub zero turns have had the decks rebuilt twice (new spindles, belt and blades, Chinese parts) since 2020. One is out of action as it recently had the right side Hydrogear drive go "kaput" (that's not going to be fun or cheap). The White 50" always seems to come up with a new electrical issue weekly so it sits out "mow day" more often than not. I've started bypassing the safety switches and much of the wiring now rather than reordering new switches that also fail quickly. Yes, I know that's not the correct way to do things but needs must on that one.

The Bad Boy has the 27HP Briggs and has yet to fail. It has only required oil and filter changes, also a few blade sharpenings (once per season). I'm doing my best to keep the factory blades on it as the replacements will likely be made out of tin foil.

I don't know if the new Bad Boy mowers are anything like the older Bad Boy units but I do know I'd pick the Bad Boy mower over the others. That's also why I'm on the look out for a few used ones myself to replace the Cub and White zero turns.
try some Oregon replacements, much better than an OEM I've had on . . . . . .