Lawnmower won't start still.

Richard Milhous

Threads
NEVER start a motor immediately after tilting it. The oil is in the wrong place. If it HAD started, it would likely have blown up.

beg

Threads
take off the fuel line and drain the old gas loosen the float bowl bolt and let the bowl drain then try some fresh gas PREMIUM NON ETHANOL if that does not work you have to clean the carb

Blazer97

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro personal pace with a 6.75 hp engine. It wasn't starting, so i put a new spark plug in, and also a new armature that was Briggs and Stratton brand. It still won't start. I tried putting gas inside where the spark plug is and tried it again and got a couple pops like it wanted to start, but only for the first 3 or 4 pulls. Can anyone help me on what i could do next to get it working again? I've heard on here about sanding the mount where the armature sits, and read one post that said that is only cosmetic. When i installed the armature, i gapped it to .010" with the correct tool so i know it's where it's supposed to be. Any suggestions anybody?

For what it's worth had the same problem on the same mower. turns out I had good fire from the spark plug the mower started when I put start a fluid in the carb but only ran for a second. Fuel feed system was clear. Went on YouTube and found how to rebuild carb. Inter fuel spray nozzle holes were clogged. Wire from zip tie cleaned holes out. Runs like new. Hope this helps.

Mower bandit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro personal pace with a 6.75 hp engine. It wasn't starting, so i put a new spark plug in, and also a new armature that was Briggs and Stratton brand. It still won't start. I tried putting gas inside where the spark plug is and tried it again and got a couple pops like it wanted to start, but only for the first 3 or 4 pulls. Can anyone help me on what i could do next to get it working again? I've heard on here about sanding the mount where the armature sits, and read one post that said that is only cosmetic. When i installed the armature, i gapped it to .010" with the correct tool so i know it's where it's supposed to be. Any suggestions anybody?

Mower bandit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have cleaned the bolt that holds the carburetor bowl on it has a small hole in the center try that and see if it will start

Tom Lynch

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may have no choice, but it's hard on an engine to live outdoors. Drain all gas out of it and clean the carbureter. I found a picture that makes this look like a bowl carbureter; my condolences. Keep the tank full as much as possible. It's "probably" safe to run automotive carb cleaner through it, which would help. Above all, cover it with some hard shell to keep the rain off.

If you're pouring gas behind the air filter for a test, also make sure the throttle is fully open. Less gas is more; if you get too much gas in the intake it will soak the plug and could prevent firing.
Most small engine starting problems can be solved by simply (1) removing the gas (2) turning the screw under the carburetor to drain the sediment bowl, and (3) only using gas without ethanol. The engine should then start with no future problems. You can find which stations sell non-ethanol gas on line.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The carburetor is the device that the fuel line connects to from the fuel tank.

Take some locking pliers and a rag. Wrap the rag around the fuel line. GENTLY clamp pliers onto rag and fuel line. This should stop gas flowing from the tank.

Take a 1/2" socket. There is a brass nut on the bottom of the carb bowl. Remove nut and small round gasket with the socket. Clean all the holes out with carb spray, EYE PROTECTION and a small wire. Be careful there is a nut sealing gasket that goes against the bowl. Reinstall the bowl nut and gasket. DO NOT OVER TORQUE THE BOWL NUT. Do it FINGER TIGHT and then with the socket, stop turning as the nut stops. If it leaks, GENTLY screw it in a little. Like a 1/32nd of a turn. If you are right handed, use your left FINGERS to tighten the nut up. Doesn't need a lot of torque.

Remove the pliers and rag.

Pull the rope and see if it runs.

beaverplt

Threads
Your model number of the mower is not important. The model and serial number of the engine is. That will be stamped on the engine somewhere depending on the engine. Number one thing is to clean the carb. Most of the engines I work on just need a good carb cleaning. If that doesn't work, Have you checked to see if you have spark? Have you checked the compression? Both are important.

If there is water in the carb somehow, it had to come through the air filter or the gas. If it's the air filter, the filter will be wet. Replace it if it is. If, not, pull the plug again, If there is water in the gas, your plug will show a tiny bit of rust. Drain the gas tank completely by pulling off the fuel line to the carb. Let the tank air out before you reattach the fuel line and put new gas in.

Richard Milhous

Threads
Most small engine starting problems can be solved by simply (1) removing the gas (2) turning the screw under the carburetor to drain the sediment bowl, and (3) only using gas without ethanol. The engine should then start with no future problems. You can find which stations sell non-ethanol gas on line.
pure-gas.org. Use the website, not the app.