Export thread

Lawnmower won't start still.

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

I have a Toro personal pace with a 6.75 hp engine. It wasn't starting, so i put a new spark plug in, and also a new armature that was Briggs and Stratton brand. It still won't start. I tried putting gas inside where the spark plug is and tried it again and got a couple pops like it wanted to start, but only for the first 3 or 4 pulls. Can anyone help me on what i could do next to get it working again? I've heard on here about sanding the mount where the armature sits, and read one post that said that is only cosmetic. When i installed the armature, i gapped it to .010" with the correct tool so i know it's where it's supposed to be. Any suggestions anybody?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

What condition is this mower in? did you buy it used as a fixer upper, or have you owned it since new and worked fine one week and not the next...or did you hit something with it and it died?
also post up the engine model numbers.
1628459155036.png

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

I bought it new and it started having trouble starting last year, but it would still start. This year nothing. It's been outside though, so I'm sure that didn't help. Never hit anything with it. As far as the model number from the engine, the sticker fell off the back of the engine so i don't know the model, or serial number.

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

It looks like the one in the top right of that diagram you posted. Spark plug right on thr front, air filter on the left, exhaust on the right side.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I bought it new and it started having trouble starting last year, but it would still start. This year nothing. It's been outside though, so I'm sure that didn't help. Never hit anything with it. As far as the model number from the engine, the sticker fell off the back of the engine so i don't know the model, or serial number.
The model number will be stamped into the sheet metal cover above the muffler or sparkplug

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

Sorry, top left off the diagram

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

See if you can pour about a tablespoon of gas or spray starting fluid into the intake behind the air filter..if it starts and dies on that, i'd clean the carburetor... could have water in the carb as well.

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

Is this it?

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

126T02-0125-B1

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

So pull the air filter off, and pour gas into the hole behind it?

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

I've never tried to fix a lawnmower engine before. So I'm definitely a newbie

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

So pull the air filter off, and pour gas into the hole behind it?
yes. that goes straight into the combustion chamber... about a tablespoon or slightly less ought to do it..

dougand3

dougand3

126T02-0125-B1
Yes. Yes on fuel in carb throat....but you've already done this with fuel in plug hole. It popped, so it's a fuel/air problem. This an auto choke-air vane/Thermostat. See that the choke plate in the carb (nearest the filter housing) is closed when cold. And it could be a dirty carb and fuel not getting to comb chamber.

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

Ok, just tried that, and again only a few pops for 3 pulls. I had to tilt the mower on its side tti get the gas into the air intake, and it was dripping out of the other side below the exhaust.

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

The plate was closed because i had to open it a bit to get the gas in there with a little funnel. Is the carburetor the little round part right behind the air filter?

dougand3

dougand3

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

How can i disassemble the carb?

dougand3

dougand3

Lots of youtube videos. Or buy a carb off ebay or amazon - Aftermarket are $9. Search Briggs 799866.

Tomahawk1981

Tomahawk1981

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll look it up on YouTube.

R

Richard Milhous

You may have no choice, but it's hard on an engine to live outdoors. Drain all gas out of it and clean the carbureter. I found a picture that makes this look like a bowl carbureter; my condolences. Keep the tank full as much as possible. It's "probably" safe to run automotive carb cleaner through it, which would help. Above all, cover it with some hard shell to keep the rain off.

If you're pouring gas behind the air filter for a test, also make sure the throttle is fully open. Less gas is more; if you get too much gas in the intake it will soak the plug and could prevent firing.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

R

Richard Milhous

NEVER start a motor immediately after tilting it. The oil is in the wrong place. If it HAD started, it would likely have blown up.

beg

beg

take off the fuel line and drain the old gas loosen the float bowl bolt and let the bowl drain then try some fresh gas PREMIUM NON ETHANOL if that does not work you have to clean the carb

Blazer97

Blazer97

I have a Toro personal pace with a 6.75 hp engine. It wasn't starting, so i put a new spark plug in, and also a new armature that was Briggs and Stratton brand. It still won't start. I tried putting gas inside where the spark plug is and tried it again and got a couple pops like it wanted to start, but only for the first 3 or 4 pulls. Can anyone help me on what i could do next to get it working again? I've heard on here about sanding the mount where the armature sits, and read one post that said that is only cosmetic. When i installed the armature, i gapped it to .010" with the correct tool so i know it's where it's supposed to be. Any suggestions anybody?

For what it's worth had the same problem on the same mower. turns out I had good fire from the spark plug the mower started when I put start a fluid in the carb but only ran for a second. Fuel feed system was clear. Went on YouTube and found how to rebuild carb. Inter fuel spray nozzle holes were clogged. Wire from zip tie cleaned holes out. Runs like new. Hope this helps.

M

Mower bandit

M

Mower bandit

Have cleaned the bolt that holds the carburetor bowl on it has a small hole in the center try that and see if it will start

T

Tom Lynch

You may have no choice, but it's hard on an engine to live outdoors. Drain all gas out of it and clean the carbureter. I found a picture that makes this look like a bowl carbureter; my condolences. Keep the tank full as much as possible. It's "probably" safe to run automotive carb cleaner through it, which would help. Above all, cover it with some hard shell to keep the rain off.

If you're pouring gas behind the air filter for a test, also make sure the throttle is fully open. Less gas is more; if you get too much gas in the intake it will soak the plug and could prevent firing.
Most small engine starting problems can be solved by simply (1) removing the gas (2) turning the screw under the carburetor to drain the sediment bowl, and (3) only using gas without ethanol. The engine should then start with no future problems. You can find which stations sell non-ethanol gas on line.

S

slomo

The carburetor is the device that the fuel line connects to from the fuel tank.

Take some locking pliers and a rag. Wrap the rag around the fuel line. GENTLY clamp pliers onto rag and fuel line. This should stop gas flowing from the tank.

Take a 1/2" socket. There is a brass nut on the bottom of the carb bowl. Remove nut and small round gasket with the socket. Clean all the holes out with carb spray, EYE PROTECTION and a small wire. Be careful there is a nut sealing gasket that goes against the bowl. Reinstall the bowl nut and gasket. DO NOT OVER TORQUE THE BOWL NUT. Do it FINGER TIGHT and then with the socket, stop turning as the nut stops. If it leaks, GENTLY screw it in a little. Like a 1/32nd of a turn. If you are right handed, use your left FINGERS to tighten the nut up. Doesn't need a lot of torque.

Remove the pliers and rag.

Pull the rope and see if it runs.

B

beaverplt

Your model number of the mower is not important. The model and serial number of the engine is. That will be stamped on the engine somewhere depending on the engine. Number one thing is to clean the carb. Most of the engines I work on just need a good carb cleaning. If that doesn't work, Have you checked to see if you have spark? Have you checked the compression? Both are important.

If there is water in the carb somehow, it had to come through the air filter or the gas. If it's the air filter, the filter will be wet. Replace it if it is. If, not, pull the plug again, If there is water in the gas, your plug will show a tiny bit of rust. Drain the gas tank completely by pulling off the fuel line to the carb. Let the tank air out before you reattach the fuel line and put new gas in.

R

Richard Milhous

Most small engine starting problems can be solved by simply (1) removing the gas (2) turning the screw under the carburetor to drain the sediment bowl, and (3) only using gas without ethanol. The engine should then start with no future problems. You can find which stations sell non-ethanol gas on line.
pure-gas.org. Use the website, not the app.

J

Jb69

First thing i would do is take out the spark plug, find some way to hold the bail handle down, a clamp or just a piece of rope or wire will do, then put the spark plug back into the spark plug wire, hold it against something metal on the mower, not to close to the spark plug hole so you don’t ignite any gas in the mower, then pull the rope a few times to see how the spark is, sometimes even new spark plugs have the wrong gap, is there really good spark or barely visible. You said you already removed the coil, sometimes the mounting bracket on the mower itself has some corrosion on it and that is why people were saying to sand it to get the corrosion off, if you have no or little spark pull the coil back off and sand the bracket and the coil to get rid of any rust off of them. I would also get a spray can of carb cleaner and spray some in the spark plug hole then put the plug back in, it should fire up and run for a second or two until it burns off fuel. If it does fire up and die then the problem is the carburetor needs cleaned, also take off the air cleaner to make sure you are getting air, and drain out the gas, you probably have water in the gas tank and the carb, but if you have good spark, air, and fuel the mower should fire but not run for long. If not the next thing to check is the timing, you might have hit something 3 years ago and the crank wheel key got shearred a while ago and it has finally moved too far. Has the rope ever been pulled out of your hand?

W

wingnut1955

i would drain fuel out and put fresh in
tap on float bowl float could be stuck. gas we get today causes that alot

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

You have a fuel delivery problem or water or both.