Lawn Boy Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

slapshot

Threads
I have an S21ZSR too! I need the throttle cable and the engine stop cable, both kinked. I just picked it up and dumped the old fuel out and cleaned the air filter and the outside of the carb.

Brian Dale

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMG_0518.JPGIMG_0517.JPG

Hey all. I've had my Duraforce since 1998 I guess. It runs as strong as the day I bough it. Until now....

green meenie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all! Have a Lawn Boy 10523 Gold Series 2-stroke. It's pretty old but not sure exact year. Best mower I have ever owned but it suddenly started leaking oil from underneath the mowing deck after the first use this spring. Not sure if it's a seal or bearing or what. Wondering whether I should get it looked at and fixed or just get another mower and get rid of this old one. I don't have the time or skill to tear it apart myself but hate to see it go as it's been flawless for probably 18 years now. Can't imagine the 4-strokes are better these days.

lewb

Threads
Hi all! Have a Lawn Boy 10523 Gold Series 2-stroke. It's pretty old but not sure exact year. Best mower I have ever owned but it suddenly started leaking oil from underneath the mowing deck after the first use this spring. Not sure if it's a seal or bearing or what. Wondering whether I should get it looked at and fixed or just get another mower and get rid of this old one. I don't have the time or skill to tear it apart myself but hate to see it go as it's been flawless for probably 18 years now. Can't imagine the 4-strokes are better these days.

Sounds like a crank seal, I have never done one but I believe they are not too difficult. Its not like your working on a 454 chevy where you have to pull the transmission to get the to the main crank seal. I would assume all you would have to do is remove bolts holding engine to deck as well as blade and just tip motor on its side. The shaft will have to be clean in order to get new seal to slide on crank shaft. Would just need a flat screw driver to work out existing seal, just need to work it out slowly. No specials tools would be required as long as you can get new seal. I am sure someone else who has done the job will be able to give you better advice.

green meenie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the insight lewb :smile: If it's that easy, maybe I'll give it a whirl, providing I can get the proper seal. Kind of odd because it ran fine first cut of the year with no issue or any hint of a problem. Parked it and the following week, puddle of oil beneath the mowing deck and it would not start. I have done basic maintenance on it every year - just nothing too radical. It is such a great mower that I hate to part with it. Nothing like a good 2-stroke :thumbsup:

lewb

Threads
Thanks for the insight lewb :smile: If it's that easy, maybe I'll give it a whirl, providing I can get the proper seal. Kind of odd because it ran fine first cut of the year with no issue or any hint of a problem. Parked it and the following week, puddle of oil beneath the mowing deck and it would not start. I have done basic maintenance on it every year - just nothing too radical. It is such a great mower that I hate to part with it. Nothing like a good 2-stroke :thumbsup:

Could also be the float needle not seating, one way to check if you have a bad seal is to spray carb or brake cleaner at the seal, if you get an rpm change you found your problem. Start to eliminate possible issues. To check needle pull carb ,turn up side down and blow into gas in let. If you can get air in that is your issue. Drain gas before u blow.

lewb

Threads
Motor has to be running for seal test.

green meenie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pretty sure the leaking substance is not gas/oil mix from the carb. It's just oil so that's why the seal issue sounds more likely although, I didn't know there was any oil only in a 2-stroke engine and yes, getting it started is the issue. I have spark and the primer button is feeding fuel but it doesn't want to fire up at all :frown: The volume of oil that has leaked out is not huge - maybe 1/8 cup?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pretty sure the leaking substance is not gas/oil mix from the carb. It's just oil so that's why the seal issue sounds more likely although, I didn't know there was any oil only in a 2-stroke engine and yes, getting it started is the issue. I have spark and the primer button is feeding fuel but it doesn't want to fire up at all :frown: The volume of oil that has leaked out is not huge - maybe 1/8 cup?

If it's not gas/oil mix then the only thing I can think of is gear oil... is this a self-propelled mower?

The seal lewb was talking about also holds in gal/oil (in the crankcase) and if the seal was leaking that bad (1/8 cup :mad: ) then I'd be surprised if the engine started.

green meenie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes two-stroke, it's self-propelled (rear wheel drive).