Kohler wiring problems

cambre

Threads
Its me again. I think every one who has answered my post knows what a wiring idiot I am. I pulled all the safety switch wires off of the mower, they were all burnt and fused together. As I said I don't use the mower to cut grass, only to pull a small trailer around the property to do odd jobs. The ignition switch now cranks the engine and the solenoid on the carb. works. I have no spark to spark plugs. I under stand I may have touched a hot wire to the ignition modules and ruined them. If I did it looks like another 200+ dollars or time to get the backhoe out and dig the hole and have a mower funeral. The engine never failed to have fire in over 8 yrs that I have had this thing. I have manuals, wiring diagrams, schematics and a Kohler SV735 PDF bookmarked on my computer. I was looking at the service manual for a Kohler courage SV 710-740. This is the engine I am trying to wire. On page 63 section 7, Electrical systems & components. Fig. 7-6 shows the DSAI diagram. I am pretty sure by now that the DSAI is what I have, but i don't see a regulator rectifier. It shows two white wires coming off of the flywheel stator assembly with one going to the regulator rectifier and it doesn't show where the other one goes. The engine was charging the battery before all the wires burnt. Its not a big deal to get it charging again. I have a shop battery charger and when the battery is down I recharge it. I also have a small slow charger I think is used mostly for motor bikes. I hook that up sometimes and let it charge all night. So I don't need the charger on the engine if any of these wires are for charging. I have learned a lot about wiring since I started to try to rewire this mower, but only by getting help from the people on this forum. I don't have the right kind of tester to test the modules. I was hoping someone could tell me why I am not getting spark. I just hope I didn't fry the modules. Also there is a red and a white wire coming off the modules that go to a connector. I can not figure where they go to. I thought to the ignition switch. If they do which terminal do they go to? There are a green and orange wire going to the connector to. As far as I can tell the green is a ground and the orange went to the carb. soloenoid. I used the L terminal on the ignition switch to the carb. solenoid and it works ok. Someone told me to do that. I know this is long but any help would be great. Help from the great people on here. Thanks

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cambre do you have a speed control module. From what I can gather from the kohler dealer site the 2 terminal modules are used with the module, and the 3 terminal ignition modules is the DSAI system. If you have a speed module then we will need to figure out the wiring to supply power to the SAM as well as the modules.

cambre

Threads
Cambre do you have a speed control module. From what I can gather from the kohler dealer site the 2 terminal modules are used with the module, and the 3 terminal ignition modules is the DSAI system. If you have a speed module then we will need to figure out the wiring to supply power to the SAM as well as the modules.

Thanks for the answer ILENGINE, I don't know if I have a speed module, it does have the three terminal modules and the diagrams with 3 terminal modules are all ASAI. How do I tell if I have a speed module? What does a SAM look like? I will gladly get you this info if I would know where to look. Thanks for your help. I know the guys on this forum will get me through this. Also what does the ground terminal on the ignition switch go to. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The three terminal modules doesn't use the SAM. OK from my diagram it looks like if you are looking down from the top of the ignition modules, the left wire will be white, and should be the wire going to the M terminal on the key switch. The center pin is uses the red wire, and is wired to the same wire as the fuel solenoid, so that is a 12v hot wire. The right wire is green and goes straight to ground. Hopefully that helps

The two white wires coming from under the flywheel are coming off of the stator. The go to the outside terminals on the regulator rectifier. It is normally located on the side of the blower housing and is about 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches with three terminals in a row. The middle terminal goes straight to the battery.

The G terminal on the keyswitch is wired directly to ground.

cambre

Threads
The three terminal modules doesn't use the SAM. OK from my diagram it looks like if you are looking down from the top of the ignition modules, the left wire will be white, and should be the wire going to the M terminal on the key switch. The center pin is uses the red wire, and is wired to the same wire as the fuel solenoid, so that is a 12v hot wire. The right wire is green and goes straight to ground. Hopefully that helps

The two white wires coming from under the flywheel are coming off of the stator. The go to the outside terminals on the regulator rectifier. It is normally located on the side of the blower housing and is about 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches with three terminals in a row. The middle terminal goes straight to the battery.

The G terminal on the keyswitch is wired directly to ground.

That helps alot ILENGINE, You cleared up several things I was having trouble with. Thanks very much for your time and knowledge. Cambre

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And if it is bolted to the plastic cowel there should be an earth strap going to one of the mounting bolts as the 3 termini rectfriers use the body as the 4th ( earth terminal )
A 4 blade rectifrier usually has an insulated body and these are generally bolted to the engine,

cambre

Threads
And if it is bolted to the plastic cowel there should be an earth strap going to one of the mounting bolts as the 3 termini rectfriers use the body as the 4th ( earth terminal )
A 4 blade rectifrier usually has an insulated body and these are generally bolted to the engine,

Thanks bertsmobile1, This will help. I think i am getting to the end of this project. Like I said I never did care about wiring. I can check fuses and find a short in one wire and find a bad turn signal or brake light but when as many as 30 or 40 wires burnt on this mower I knew I was in trouble. I have been getting a lot of help from this forum from you and ILENGINE, motoman reynoldston and others so I thought I would tackle this and learn something. I get attached to a lot of things, my pets, cars, trucks, birds (I feed birds everyday, they eat about 50 lbs of seed a week) and any other creature that comes around. I like my old mower, a normal person would have junked it. I have always have liked to fix things. And mainly because growing up I couldn't afford to buy a replacement. Also I have always wondered what time zone you live in Australia and what city or town you live in or close to. As you know I live in the country in northeast Oklahoma about 15 miles from Ft. Smith, Arkansas, old hanging Judge Parkers court. Thanks again, your friend Cambre

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We do rewires on old British motorcycles.
I am amazed that some blokes can manage to set crank endplay on their A65's to .0005" without any problem using nothing nut some old rusty feeler gauges but the same men can not wire up a simple zenner diode.

cambre

Threads
We do rewires on old British motorcycles.
I am amazed that some blokes can manage to set crank endplay on their A65's to .0005" without any problem using nothing nut some old rusty feeler gauges but the same men can not wire up a simple zenner diode.

I don't know if I should thank you for that answer or not bertsmobile1, Is a zenner diode the same as a DSAI ignition module? I know we use different words for parts. What you had me worried about was did I fry my DSAI module. I thought I could have because of all the problems I have had with this. This engine has always had spark and now it doesn't. I had spark when the ignition switch would not activate the starter solenoid. Now that the switch does activate the solenoid I have no spark. If there is a chance that the module is still good I wanted to be sure I connected the right wire to the M terminal on the ignition switch. So I think you meant that if I couldn't wire a simple zenner diode that I must be simple minded. Well when it comes to wiring this engine I am simple minded. That's why I'm on this forum so much about this. I will learn how to wire this mower. Like I said, wiring is not my thing, but would like to learn it. I have learned a lot from the guys on this forum. No one else said anything about frying the module. I don't know how to test the module and don't have anything to test it with. All I know is two modules cost over $200 here. I don't want to buy new ones if I don't need them. Still your friend, simple minded Cambre

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
wire up a simple zenner diode.

What in the world is a zenner diode??? I guess I am also not very smart with my wiring but still enjoy doing it. A diode just lets electric flow one direction if you need to know like a flapper valve.