Kohler cv16s Runs for 10 mins then dies

Flaming

Forum Newbie
Threads
Although the above sounds like a fuel problem, it also sounds like an overheating problem. If you haven't removed all the housing to reveal the fins, please take a look. What I found under mine was a nice varmint nest. Just enough stuffing to let the engine run for about 5-10 minutes, then a shutdown, followed by a cooldown and start again. And yes, I did initially treat the problem as a fuel problem and totally cleaned the carb, checked the fuel pump, lines and gas cap. None of those fixed the problem; but cleaning out the fins (I used a power washer, but that was over-kill) had it running until I shut it off. Don't feel bad though, all those things you've already done, need to be done occasionally.

Reactions: Tyy

arbee

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Honda acted that way. In my case it was the auto choke which wouldn't open after the engine warmed up.

BrianSki

Threads
Yes a degraded line could cause crud to plug up. FYI FIL had the same problem. Sears came out and changed the fuel filter. They did not have a brass screen style and changed it to a paper filter. With the gravity flow of the tank, when the fuel level in the tank dropped the paper filter would not flow properly. I would start with a new filter and new hoses.

BTW if you are still having trouble, when it dies check for spark right away. That will tell you if fuel or spark.

Dan1950

Forum Newbie
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
probably bad/weak fuel line or small amount of trash in fuel tank...replace All Fuel line and inspect/clean tank...doubtful that it is the carb

emwco64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
Might be a bad relay? The ones that cut off power when the seat lifts....brake or the handle that steers run the mower.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you checked the ignition system? Kohler uses a few different systems. I had one doing something very similar to what you have and it was a bad ignition module.

Rick42wood

Threads
Tank vent or solenoid shut off valve is the most likely. If it runs smooth during the time it runs it is unlikely that there is a problem with the carb.

Mharnisch

Threads
Had the same problem with my B & S a couple years ago. It would start right up and run fine for 10 - 15 minutes and then all of a sudden stop. Cleaned the entire fuel system but didn’t help. Ended up replacing the coil and it has been running fine ever since.

Guillaume

Forum Newbie
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learndefinitely sound