Export thread

Kohler cv16s Runs for 10 mins then dies

C

Cwestin89

Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

So you have good flow from the fuel line at the carburetor correct?
My brother had this exact problem on his cv16 last year. New fuel lines and never had an issue again.

S

slomo

Welcome to the best mower slash engine forum on the internet.

slomo

Fish

Fish

Put up your spec. numbers off of the tag. Some of those models had adjustable valves, and that could easily be your problem.

Catherine

Catherine

Welcome to the forum!
I'm going to move this thread over to our Kohler section.

B

bertsmobile1

Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
Floating debris in the fuel tank gets sucked into the fuel line & blocks it off.
Once the flow stops the debris floats off again. Process repeats at infinitum
Water that has condensed in the fuel system builds up in the fuel system so after a few minutes the carb starts sucking water .
bad fuel solenoid cuts off fuel supply to the main jet.

Go to Kohlers web page & download both the parts manual & the service manual for the mower .

B

Born2Mow

Welcome Aboard !

It is common for the EPA style breather in the fuel fill cap (or located within the tank) to get clogged. When you run the mower, fuel flows to the carb until a vacuum is formed... at which time the fuel can't flow and so the engine runs out of fuel. Without doing a thing, air SLOWLY comes back into the tank over the next several hours and then everything seems fine... until it happens all over.

Most of the time, a burst of air from a compressed air blower nozzle will break it free. Sometimes a squirt of "carb cleaner" helps. It's simply old, scuzzy fuel caught in the overly-complicated, EPA mandated breather.

>> Don't leave fuel in the tank over winter.
>> Try running a cleaner-stabilizer, like StarTron all year round.
>> To diagnose, unscrew the fuel cap (even 1/4 turn) and the issue will be cured immediately.

C

Cwestin89

Thanks for the replies. Gas tank had a smidge I debri in it. Cleaned that out and made sure the lines were cleared to the carb. Took it for a test run and it did great for 10 mins then shut down again. This is the info I can find on the mower. Have a carb coming today hopefully.

C

Cwestin89

Taking a look past the carb this line is badly decayed. Not sure if this could be causing my issue?

G

gblanchard

Had this issue a few years back. Try taking off gas cap for a test run. I ended up drilling a tiny hole in mine and never had issue again. I suspect a new cap may have also fixed it.

L

LarryWolb

I had a couple mower tractors that acted the same. Ended up the tiny vent hole in the gas cap was plugged. Try running with a loose cap and see if that changes anything,

D

Delmo

I think I have your fix Cwest. When the engine starts to shut down, open your gas cap. See if that works. I have a Kohler 6.75 engine mower that does the exact same thing. Obviously a vacuum issue of some kind. If that works, try just getting a new gas cap. Or, like me, when the issue arises, just undo the gas cap, the re-secure it. The fix seems to last for another 15-20 minutes.

T

techman51

I had a Honda that did exactly the same thing, it turned out to be a bad gas cap. Easy to eliminate this as the cause, just try running without the cap for a period beyond the suspected failure time. Good luck!

D

davidk147

Have you fix the problem yet?

Mel366

Mel366

Had a problem about the same as yours. Mine was on a John Deere rider. Fuel cap vent had plugged up. Blew it out with air and it run prefect.

D

davidk147

You can replace your vacuum gas pump which I have had to do.

K

kev290

i did a ladys mower that did the same thing her was vent line and coil she has no trouble with it now

W

Wheels

I would loosen the gas cap so it isn't tight and then try that. I have seen this a lot and the gas cap is bad. It needs to breath and if it is bad the machine dies like it is running out of gas, and will only start after sitting a bit. I would bet you gas cap is bad.

W

whitejww

I had a similar issue on the same engine a bunch of yesterday back and it turned out to be the needle in the carburetor hanging up. Did a rebuild and the issue was fixed.

T

txmowman

A carburetor should never need replacement unless:
1) it is corroded beyond being able to be cleaned.
2) a non-replaceable part is broken/missing
3) replacement parts are not available
4) there is no desire to clean, replace parts or maintain it correctly throughout its life.
4a) you've got money to burn

F

Flaming

Although the above sounds like a fuel problem, it also sounds like an overheating problem. If you haven't removed all the housing to reveal the fins, please take a look. What I found under mine was a nice varmint nest. Just enough stuffing to let the engine run for about 5-10 minutes, then a shutdown, followed by a cooldown and start again. And yes, I did initially treat the problem as a fuel problem and totally cleaned the carb, checked the fuel pump, lines and gas cap. None of those fixed the problem; but cleaning out the fins (I used a power washer, but that was over-kill) had it running until I shut it off. Don't feel bad though, all those things you've already done, need to be done occasionally.

A

arbee

My Honda acted that way. In my case it was the auto choke which wouldn't open after the engine warmed up.

B

BrianSki

Yes a degraded line could cause crud to plug up. FYI FIL had the same problem. Sears came out and changed the fuel filter. They did not have a brass screen style and changed it to a paper filter. With the gravity flow of the tank, when the fuel level in the tank dropped the paper filter would not flow properly. I would start with a new filter and new hoses.

BTW if you are still having trouble, when it dies check for spark right away. That will tell you if fuel or spark.

D

Dan1950

probably bad/weak fuel line or small amount of trash in fuel tank...replace All Fuel line and inspect/clean tank...doubtful that it is the carb

E

emwco64

Might be a bad relay? The ones that cut off power when the seat lifts....brake or the handle that steers run the mower.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Have you checked the ignition system? Kohler uses a few different systems. I had one doing something very similar to what you have and it was a bad ignition module.

R

Rick42wood

Tank vent or solenoid shut off valve is the most likely. If it runs smooth during the time it runs it is unlikely that there is a problem with the carb.

M

Mharnisch

Had the same problem with my B & S a couple years ago. It would start right up and run fine for 10 - 15 minutes and then all of a sudden stop. Cleaned the entire fuel system but didn’t help. Ended up replacing the coil and it has been running fine ever since.

G

Guillaume

Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learndefinitely sound

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Taking a look past the carb this line is badly decayed. Not sure if this could be causing my issue?
Is there supposed to be a picture?

G

Guillaume

Definitely sound like a lack of fuel, clog fuel lime or filer, stuck needle valve on float. Best way to see if you have fuel getting to the carb is removing the drain plug,if possible put a small plastic container under the carb

T

Tyy

Lots of recommendations and not a lot of feedback from the o.p. Agree never required to replace a well designed and maintained carb . Several sources of repair kits cheap online. Kiss principle works best . Always provide Manuf. Model & Serial number . Ensure you have fresh fuel , spark plug in good condition , clean air & if applicable fuel filter . Trouble shooting , adequate spark ? , fuel to carb intake ? If ok , remove gas cap when engine begins to stall out . If this does not resolve the issue most likely faulty coil , which is breaking down as it warms up . Secondary , possible that auto choke is not opening , however that normally does not requireb 10-15 minutes normally 3 to 4 minutes . Hopefully the owner responds to what he has done or further observed !

K

Kurttb1

Do you have a problem with the engine getting too hot and the oil temperature sensor cutting off the engine?

T

Tyy

Do you have a problem with the engine getting too hot and the oil temperature sensor cutting off the engine?
Never seen a high temp oil sensor on any mowers , low oil sensors yes ! Serviced high temp sensors on outboard & liquid cooled snowmobiles only !

J

jrk

If your Kohler has a electric fuel shut off on the bottom of the carb., replace it. I ran into this issue several times and replaced the switch (anti-backfire) and the issue was fixed.

T

Tyy

If your Kohler has a electric fuel shut off on the bottom of the carb., replace it. I ran into this issue several times and replaced the switch (anti-backfire) and the issue was fixed.
Anti backfire valves can be a issue , however I have found they more often cause a no start issue rather than stall condition after 10-15 minute run time !

O

ossroy

This problem drove me nuts for two seasons. I dumped a bunch of money into new parts because I was too lazy to take advice here and yank the fuel line leading from the tank to the inline fuel valve. Did you actually disassemble the hose from the tank to the fuel valve? When I did, there was all kinds of debris inside the hose, bunched up against the fuel valve tang. Blew it out and its run like a champ ever since.

T

Tyy

This problem drove me nuts for two seasons. I dumped a bunch of money into new parts because I was too lazy to take advice here and yank the fuel line leading from the tank to the inline fuel valve. Did you actually disassemble the hose from the tank to the fuel valve? When I did, there was all kinds of debris inside the hose, bunched up against the fuel valve tang. Blew it out and its run like a champ ever since.
That's why I always utilize the kiss principle . Good catch on the inlet fuel line from tank , I have seen this often on older lawn tractors with gravity flow and newer units with electric fuel pumps , a common problem many newbies overlook Cudo 's !

MyGrassHasCrabs

MyGrassHasCrabs

Just throwin' this out for what it's worth. I have a JD Scott's L1742 that had the same symptoms - start fine, run fine, then after some random amount of time, just shut off. I had run into the fuel cap thing so I knew about that one & that wasn't it. I replaced all the fuel lines & fuel filter. Same problem. Traced it back to the fuel-shut off on the carb. Replaced the cutoff switch. Same problem. I finally figured it out - it was the $#&$@ positive battery cable connection where it connects to the coil under that red rubber cover. It was loose. After jostling and vibrating around enough it would disconnect and cause the fuel shut off switch to cut the fuel off. Duh huh! LOL Good luck.

S

slomo

Replace the fuel line. You don't need a mower burning to the ground.

slomo

S

slomo

Although the above sounds like a fuel problem, it also sounds like an overheating problem. If you haven't removed all the housing to reveal the fins, please take a look. What I found under mine was a nice varmint nest. Just enough stuffing to let the engine run for about 5-10 minutes, then a shutdown, followed by a cooldown and start again. And yes, I did initially treat the problem as a fuel problem and totally cleaned the carb, checked the fuel pump, lines and gas cap. None of those fixed the problem; but cleaning out the fins (I used a power washer, but that was over-kill) had it running until I shut it off. Don't feel bad though, all those things you've already done, need to be done occasionally.
This is a YEARLY check on ALL mowers. More if you bag or side sling. Scalp the yeard, you better check it out. Over heating causes valve seats to come loose and so on. Look all around the cylinder/s cooling fins for grass, dirt, oil and junk.

slomo

S

slomo

Anti backfire valves can be a issue , however I have found they more often cause a no start issue rather than stall condition after 10-15 minute run time !
Snip the plunger off of the carb bowl solenoid. The part that goes up into the carb to shut the fuel off. Never have this issue again.

slomo

S

slomo

This is either a flaky coil or fuel delivery issue.

slomo

B

Born2Mow

Had this issue a few years back. Try taking off gas cap for a test run. I ended up drilling a tiny hole in mine and never had issue again. I suspect a new cap may have also fixed it.
Yes, the older caps had a big 1/16" hole in them and they never gave a problem. But the EPA since ~1990 is all concerned about fumes adding to inner-city air pollution and so all the makers had to seal their fuel systems. They had to add complicated one-way breathers where air could come in, but fumes couldn't go out. That's why they get stopped up from time to time.

If you got a riding mower where the fuel level is 4 or more inches above the liquid, then yes, you can simply drill a tiny hole and be done with it. But on a walk-behind, the cap is closer to the fuel and the liquid would splash out.

G

G69

Ignition coil will be the problem. Faulty ones are OK when cool but fail when they heat up. Cool down again and all good. They never get tested in the workshop long enough to show as a problem. I had a Stihl brushcutter and took years to diagnose the problem as the ignition coil even after numerous visits to various repair places.

G

G69

This is either a flaky coil or fuel delivery issue.

slomo
Agree mate, putting my money on the ignition coil.

B

Born2Mow

Lots of recommendations and not a lot of feedback from the o.p.
I'm having a blast just talking to you guys.

We don't need no stinkin' OP !! :devilish:

S

slomo

Who is scalping their yard now?

slomo

M

MNtractorGuy

Check you fuel cap. I’ve seen the vent become restricted where the vent wasn’t completely plugged. As you loosen or remove the cap the air enters and everything will be fine for a few minutes. I’m not sure if you’d hear the air entering the tank. Fuel line, valve issues could also be a factor- but take the easiest things first.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Who is scalping their yard now?

slomo
The commercial guys around here call it "golf courseing" the lawn.

Fish

Fish

Thanks for the replies. Gas tank had a smidge I debri in it. Cleaned that out and made sure the lines were cleared to the carb. Took it for a test run and it did great for 10 mins then shut down again. This is the info I can find on the mower. Have a carb coming today hopefully.
What info?

Fish

Fish

As I said earlier, if you have adjustable valves, then everyone would give different advice.

Or at least they should.

M

mrs6391

I think I have your fix Cwest. When the engine starts to shut down, open your gas cap. See if that works. I have a Kohler 6.75 engine mower that does the exact same thing. Obviously a vacuum issue of some kind. If that works, try just getting a new gas cap. Or, like me, when the issue arises, just undo the gas cap, the re-secure it. The fix seems to last for another 15-20 minutes.
No one has mentioned the fuel filter.

D

davis2

Through 4 pages, I've seen a lot of possibilities. I'd start with the simple stuff, blow out the fuel cap vent, drain tank and change fuel lines. If there is still a problem, you have a list of possibilities. Do what your skills allow.

R

RadarVector

Too much oil?

G

gerryvtx18

Could be your coils , they get hot and it shuts down, no spark.

G

gerryvtx18

Could be your coils. They get hot and there’s no spark. I had the same
problem.

B

bertsmobile1

For about 20 you can get a red neon tube in line spark tester
Hook it up so you can see it and go mow
When the engine is quitting but is still rotating have a look at the tube.
If it is flashing but the engine is not firing then you have a fuel or valve problem
If it is not flashing then the coil is toast or there is a short in the wiring.
To rule out the latter, remove the kill wire and move it well out of the way.
Flashes when quitting or does not quit then the wiring is at fault
NB you will either need to let it run out of fuel or pull the HT lead off the spark plug to stop the mower.

T

triode

I had exactly the same problem. I found a blockage in the carby where the fuel line entered. I just cleaned in our using a small drill bit by hand. Sometimes there could be a blockage in the petrol tank cap and either fix it or just loosen it off every now and then !

B

Biddaddydan

"Always go for the obvious first" repeats my small motor neigbour-guru. As many have already pointed out, sounds to me that the gas cap doesn't vent properly. Do try running the motor with the cap completely loose. Good luck !

J

Joed756

Sounds like vapor lock, generally cured by replacing the gas cap. You can try cleaning it with soap and water, rinse the soap out and let it dry completely before trying again.

J

JjEjFjF

Welcome Aboard !

It is common for the EPA style breather in the fuel fill cap (or located within the tank) to get clogged. When you run the mower, fuel flows to the carb until a vacuum is formed... at which time the fuel can't flow and so the engine runs out of fuel. Without doing a thing, air SLOWLY comes back into the tank over the next several hours and then everything seems fine... until it happens all over.

Most of the time, a burst of air from a compressed air blower nozzle will break it free. Sometimes a squirt of "carb cleaner" helps. It's simply old, scuzzy fuel caught in the overly-complicated, EPA mandated breather.

>> Don't leave fuel in the tank over winter.
>> Try running a cleaner-stabilizer, like StarTron all year round.
>> To diagnose, unscrew the fuel cap (even 1/4 turn) and the issue will be cured immediately.
I have always left fuel in my tanks over the winter , mixed gas / straight gas....ethanol / non ethanol , never ever had a fuel problem. Im 55 years old, needless to say, ive been doing that for a long long time.

J

JjEjFjF

Coil?

B

bertsmobile1

I have always left fuel in my tanks over the winter , mixed gas / straight gas....ethanol / non ethanol , never ever had a fuel problem. Im 55 years old, needless to say, ive been doing that for a long long time.

Responses like this are about as useful to any one as Chuck Norris endorsing a fitness machine that does not work.
As has been stated thousands of times there are so many factors that go into determining weather fuel goes off or not in a particular situation that a single persons experiences are not applicable to any one but them, their mower in their shed using the fuel they buy.
And you are obviously one of the lucky ones that can get away with it
I make about $ 30,000 a year from the unlucky ones who can not get away with improper fuel storeage.
People like myself who see better than 100 mowers a year that have been stored in all sorts of situations using all sorts of fuel ALL say the same thing.
Tip the fuel out & run dry or fill the tank to the brim.
We don't say this for the fun of it we say it because it WORKS FOR EVERY MACHINE , EVERY FUEL & EVERY STORAGE situation.

And yes every spark ignited engine has a coil, unless it has a 30,000 Volt power supply.

B

Bearded1duh

I have a Kohler V twin on a walk behind mower ( sorry, just don't know the model) which acted the way you describe. It has 2 coils (magnetos). When the engine came to temperature, it warmed the coils sufficiently that the "tired" coil's resistance changed enough to cause it to malfunction and not generate spark power. The engine would continue to run on its other "good" coil but since operating/firing on only one of the two pistons, it had not enough power to mow and travel and would conk out when the blades were engaged. New coil fixed the problem. My 1995 F-350 dump truck with Windsor 305 engine did the same thing and a new coil cured that as well. Keep in mind that as electrical circuits and/or wires heat up, their resistance increases and efficiency / conductivity decreases because the electrical energy converts into heat energy and rapidly increases the coil's temperature and further decreases its conductivity. I am not certain, but I surmise that an out of operating range heated metal object, like a wire bobbin found in an ignition coil, has a lot of electrons zooming around in a random / disorganized manner and an otherwise straight through running current joins the fray since it meets up with the crazy electrons which are resistant to an organized flow. An organized flow is the current on which the spark plug's operation depends. The engine "acts like it's not getting gas" because it is starved for current. It is not sparking sufficiently to sustain useful power generating combustion and then sparks so little as to cause it to shut down. After a period of cooling off, that minute you wrote about, the coil likely cooled off enough to again provide sufficient organized electron flow=ignition current.
Having said all that, the fuel vent failure comment is also a strong contending concept and easier to prove out that changing a coil, cheaper too.

V

velozp

Mine was the carburetor. I had a helk of a time finding an original. I ended up going with a $25 Chinese one on amazon, runs perfect. Don't forget to check the bowl nut . Mine was loose and spewed gas at startup. Tightened it up and no leaks, Mine also came with the backfire solenoid and wire connector.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

" Chuck Norris endorsing a fitness machine that does not work."

NO! Don't tell me it ain't so. You say'n he lied to us?

B

Born2Mow

I have always left fuel in my tanks over the winter , mixed gas / straight gas....ethanol / non ethanol , never ever had a fuel problem. I'm 55 years old, needless to say, I've been doing that for a long long time.
And that's exactly what I'm trying to tell you, sir.

In those 55 years, believe it or not, THINGS HAVE CHANGED. The formulation of gasoline has changed, drastically. The design of fuel breather systems has changed, drastically.

With all due respect... I note that you have moved on from penciling questions onto post cards, which is the way technical answers were sought in 1966. In a similar manner, you need to update your knowledge and practices concerning modern fuels and their effect.

All the best, my friend.

B

Born2Mow

Responses like this are about as useful to any one as Chuck Norris endorsing a fitness machine that does not work.

QhOCOpm.jpg

Even the Boogie Man checks under his bed for Chuck Norris !

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

" Chuck Norris endorsing a fitness machine that does not work."

NO! Don't tell me it ain't so. You say'n he lied to us?
I frequent driving by Chuck's ranch in Navasota. the LoneWolf Ranch, and right across the road is the C-Force water company.

W

watson

Had Similar problem Valves were checked and adjusted works fine now good luck..

B

Booo

Sounds like the air vent in the fuel cap is not open.

peteco

peteco

No fuel or no spark, check both when hot. Open and close cap to check vent. Check spark.

S

slomo

Need to load test the ignition coil.

S

slomo

No one has mentioned the fuel filter.
I said fuel delivery issue.

S

slomo

Sounds like vapor lock, generally cured by replacing the gas cap. You can try cleaning it with soap and water, rinse the soap out and let it dry completely before trying again.
Test before buying a replacement. Can dry water with compressed air or WD-40.

olds394

olds394

Same issue as OP.
Chased the auto choke before finally pulling the float cap off. Little white crystals in the bottom , and build up on the large round tube? Don’t know the correct name.
In-line filter now and it runs good. Fingers crossed.

S

sessman55

Check to make sure the float in the carb is level when held upside down. Sometimes the needle/seat swell and causes inadequate fuel flow to keep up with demand.