Kohler carburetor problem...

steelroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Sears DLT 2000 917.272246 with a 20 hp Kohler. Lately it would start and will run but needs to be partially choked to stay running. The motor won't start now even with full choke. The fuel pump is ok. I took the top plate off and checked that jet tube and it's clear. I dropped the bowl to check the float and it appears to be ok. I pulled the solenoid. Is there a way to check it's operation?? Because I tried to fill the bowl using the gas line and there's no flow. Thanks!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
You are on the right track...
When 12 volts is applied to the solenoid, it will allow fuel to flow... You should hear & feel it click.

Because of the price, A lot of folks have replaced it with a bolt (hardware store)... If you do that you need to place an inline fuel shut off, and just remember to turn it on & off when you are using it... :smile:KennyV

steelroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny, while I was waiting for a reply I took the unit out and put 12v to it and got nothing. I couldn't move the plunger with just my fingers but figured that there had to be some travel in it in order to seat into the jet. So,figuring I had nothing to lose I really leaned on it and it broke free. The parts are soaking right now. I'll polish everything up with a dremel and then put voltage to it. Should work! And I was just about to order a new carb! So now I'll save that money and fab an intake for this old 2-4 barrel tunnel ram I have sitting here. That should solve any fuel starvation issues? :rolleyes:
-Roy

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You may get the valve working... Post back with how it works out.
A manual in line fuel shut off valve will save you future problems...
:smile:KennyV

steelroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll be sure to do that. This is a great site for the DIY'er. Had I not come across this site I probably would have spent money on new parts. Speaking of which,of everywhere else that I looked for carb prices,these guys were by far the best:wink::

Kohler Carburetor complete

-Roy

steelroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
UPDATE! Re: Kohler carburetor problem...

UPDATE...

The solenoid was cleaned. It appeared to be more a case of rust than a buildup of varnish. That's understandable since I've never prepped the motor for winter storage:rolleyes:.
Bottom line is it fired right up and purrs like a kitten with no need of any choke. What a simple fix, thanks to info gained from this site and it's knowledgeable contributors.
Next round of beer is on me!! :laughing:

-Roy