Export thread

Kohler carburetor problem...

steelroy

steelroy

I have a Sears DLT 2000 917.272246 with a 20 hp Kohler. Lately it would start and will run but needs to be partially choked to stay running. The motor won't start now even with full choke. The fuel pump is ok. I took the top plate off and checked that jet tube and it's clear. I dropped the bowl to check the float and it appears to be ok. I pulled the solenoid. Is there a way to check it's operation?? Because I tried to fill the bowl using the gas line and there's no flow. Thanks!

K

KennyV

WELCOME to LMF...
You are on the right track...
When 12 volts is applied to the solenoid, it will allow fuel to flow... You should hear & feel it click.

Because of the price, A lot of folks have replaced it with a bolt (hardware store)... If you do that you need to place an inline fuel shut off, and just remember to turn it on & off when you are using it... :smile:KennyV

steelroy

steelroy

Thanks Kenny, while I was waiting for a reply I took the unit out and put 12v to it and got nothing. I couldn't move the plunger with just my fingers but figured that there had to be some travel in it in order to seat into the jet. So,figuring I had nothing to lose I really leaned on it and it broke free. The parts are soaking right now. I'll polish everything up with a dremel and then put voltage to it. Should work! And I was just about to order a new carb! So now I'll save that money and fab an intake for this old 2-4 barrel tunnel ram I have sitting here. That should solve any fuel starvation issues? :rolleyes:
-Roy

K

KennyV

You may get the valve working... Post back with how it works out.
A manual in line fuel shut off valve will save you future problems...
:smile:KennyV

steelroy

steelroy

I'll be sure to do that. This is a great site for the DIY'er. Had I not come across this site I probably would have spent money on new parts. Speaking of which,of everywhere else that I looked for carb prices,these guys were by far the best:wink::

Kohler Carburetor complete

-Roy

steelroy

steelroy

UPDATE! Re: Kohler carburetor problem...

UPDATE...

The solenoid was cleaned. It appeared to be more a case of rust than a buildup of varnish. That's understandable since I've never prepped the motor for winter storage:rolleyes:.
Bottom line is it fired right up and purrs like a kitten with no need of any choke. What a simple fix, thanks to info gained from this site and it's knowledgeable contributors.
Next round of beer is on me!! :laughing:

-Roy